Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

T5 fast-track connection immigration enhancement?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2014, 9:39 am

There really shouldn't be significant queues at LHR for anyone. A huge number of people can use the automatic gates nowadays and for everyone else, their numbers and times of arrival are entirely predictable. It's not like an NHS queue where the number of people in the queue falls on its own (due to deaths or deciding to go privately) and whether you could argue, if you were heartless that the queue itself serves a purpose. Everyone needs to be processed and everyone is eventually. It takes the same amount of time to do this regardless of whether they queue first or not.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 9:42 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Tim1975
There really shouldn't be significant queues at LHR for anyone. A huge number of people can use the automatic gates nowadays and for everyone else, their numbers and times of arrival are entirely predictable. It's not like an NHS queue where the number of people in the queue falls on its own (due to deaths or deciding to go privately) and whether you could argue, if you were heartless that the queue itself serves a purpose. Everyone needs to be processed and everyone is eventually. It takes the same amount of time to do this regardless of whether they queue first or not.
There are no automatic gates for passengers connecting to domestic flights.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 10:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond

Thanks for the comments manord. Yes, there may be a separate express connections and fast track entrance as you mentioned. I think by the time you get to the immigration offices those two lines have merged though?

So are we saying there is only now one channel for domestic connections - i.e. no more fast track or express connections lanes up to the immigration officers? Is there stills separate escalator for fast track/express connections?
Old Jun 6, 2014, 10:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Diamond; others
Originally Posted by KARFA
Thanks for the comments manord. Yes, there may be a separate express connections and fast track entrance as you mentioned. I think by the time you get to the immigration offices those two lines have merged though?
No, (was) still three separate roped off channels facing the immigtation desks, although it is possible for any desk to call pax from any of the three channels.

So are we saying there is only now one channel for domestic connections - i.e. no more fast track or express connections lanes up to the immigration officers?
Haven't seen the new setup myself yet, but I think what is reported above is now two channels - one for express connections and one standard.

Is there stills separate escalator for fast track/express connections?
I really hope this is still separate, fast track security checkpoint was bad enough as it was, removing it will probably be a terrible premium pax experience.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 10:49 am

So it's come to this. BA prems don't get fast track when connecting at T5! Seriously? We're not talking about a remote outstation, it's BA's own dedicated showcase terminal in London. It's a joke, surely.

Originally Posted by thehappychappie
I don't think this is BA's fault - it is down to the airport operator (BAA). If you want to write a complaint, I suggest you push it in their direction. (Although my past experience of complaining to BAA has not been a good one - if you do get a response, don't expect it to be relevant to your complaint!)
The thing about contracting out is that no one is responsible, everyone points the finger at someone else. But I think in this case the responsibility lies clearly with BA. I don't have a contract with HAL, BA does. My contract is with BA. They contract HAL to provide specified service levels for their customers. I don't for one moment imagine HAL made this move without BA's foreknowledge and approval. Make your dissatisfaction known where it counts, to BA.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 10:53 am

I'm calling BS on those saying this is not BA's fault, or BA was not involved in the decision. If BA wanted fastrack for connecting passengers, they would have it.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anyone else seen this débacle?

This is almost as ludicrous as KLM/AF removing priority security at LHR for their priority passengers.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 12:49 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond

I am there tomorrow afternoon so I will have a look and report back.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
(Unless of course you have duty free with you in hand-baggage - in that case you're stuck using the connection system!)
Can't you go enter North security landside? They wouldn't know whether you're connecting or not.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 11:50 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BA6501
(Unless of course you have duty free with you in hand-baggage - in that case you're stuck using the connection system!)
Can't you go enter North security landside? They wouldn't know whether you're connecting or not.
Under any route you would need duty free liquids to be in a sealed bag, so you could in fact go airside, or landside via North or South.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 5:49 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Arriving from a DOM/ EIRE flight is it normally quicker to head landslide and back in or use the airside connection process?
Old Jun 7, 2014, 5:55 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Arriving from a DOM/ EIRE flight is it normally quicker to head landslide and back in or use the airside connection process?
From Domestic: there's a direct entry from the T5 domestic arrival area into main departures, just conformance, no security, so it would never be faster going landside. Irish Republic won't be clear until the end of October.

To Domestic: Up until now, if you had status it was generally quicker to go via the airside connection. I've timed it and generally the long walk through baggage collection, plus the poorly placed lifts by arrivals, meant overall Flight Connections was faster, even taking account of the CCR secret door, which gives a bias towards South Security.

However this may now have changed, depending on how this has been implemented. KARFA and I will soon find out.....
Old Jun 7, 2014, 6:01 am

Programs: ABBA
Unhappy

From dom assuming arrival at t5 you'll want to use flight connections - no fast track, but no security either.

From t1 arrivals you don't don't have a choice but to go land side.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For T5 (domestic) -> T5 (anywhere): off the plane, follow the purple "Flight connections" sign down the corridor, show your BP, up the stairs, you're now in T5A departures. This is what a connecting flight experience should be.

If there is a terminal change things are a different story altogether.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
For T5 (domestic) -> T5 (anywhere): off the plane, follow the purple "Flight connections" sign down the corridor, show your BP, up the stairs, you're now in T5A departures. This is what a connecting flight experience should be. .
True, it's the best transfer anywhere. And it highlights still more the perversity of changing the reverse transfer for the worse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.