Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

[yet another] pax upset about being misconnected on a tight connection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2014, 1:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, Gulf Air Silver, Aegean Gold, M&M FQTV, Air Malta Diamond
Originally Posted by waspsl
Indeed I was not and you make a point, having witnessed far too many unreasonable rants by travellers who having paid for a ticket believe they now own the staff and can treat them as they feel fit has tainted me.

The emotional ranting has however devalued any legitimate case put forward now in my opinion.
You are entitled to your opinion. Others are entitled to their opinion of your opinion.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 1:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, Gulf Air Silver, Aegean Gold, M&M FQTV, Air Malta Diamond
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
why should she have to do it?

Shouldn't BA proactively let people know their rights and deliver against them? (We have enough data points from more rational and less conspiracy-theorising posters than the subject of this thread that they don't do this).
+1, point well made and without the insults demonstrated on other posts.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 1:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Quote:

Originally Posted by LondonElite

Fine, so she booked within the MCT, missed it, so go the 261 route. Story over, quit the hyperbole. She's still a dumdum traveller though.

why should she have to do it?

Shouldn't BA proactively let people know their rights and deliver against them? (We have enough data points from more rational and less conspiracy-theorising posters than the subject of this thread that they don't do this).
Why should she have to do it? What are you suggesting, have an EU rep meet all pax at the 1L door with forms? The point is that delays happen. As an experienced traveller she should never have put herself in that position.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 1:38 pm

Why should she have to do it? What are you suggesting, have an EU rep meet all pax at the 1L door with forms? The point is that delays happen. As an experienced traveller she should never have put herself in that position.
How about the company the regs actually apply to (BA), actually build compliance into their processes?

I know, its a crazy idea, but it might just work....
Old Jun 3, 2014, 1:45 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

This complaint is utter bonkers. Thanks hserus for sharing this gem. If anything, it provides us with a useful reminder NEVER to book such a tight connection when there's a critical meeting at stake ; that and a reminder why I'm not cut out to work in Customer Services. Had I fielded a diatribe of this magnitude I'd struggle to hold back the laughter
Old Jun 3, 2014, 1:55 pm

Programs: BA GGL+CCR, HHonors Dia, Hyatt Dia
Originally Posted by Final 3 Greens
You are entitled to your opinion. Others are entitled to their opinion of your opinion.
Quite, that would seem to be the case
Old Jun 3, 2014, 11:44 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Interesting, I would if the Blogger would like some fish to go with some very obvious chips.

On a more serious note, I wonder what availability there was on AI130.

If I was foolish enough to gamble on such a tight connection to get me home in time for such an important meeting the following day, then as an experienced traveller and travel blogger I would have worded myself up on the alternatives prior to commencing the journey.

The first option I would have asked about for such an important meeting would be the airline getting me to my destination ASAP.

Regards,

BD
Old Jun 4, 2014, 12:02 am

Although granted MCT of 60 mins at T5 is a joke, too many DYKWIA entitled folks in this world. And why always the race card? And others so quick to support that? Really? How about just admitting that you know a lot less than you infer? Says plenty about the persons involved. Sad IMO.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 12:56 am

After openly publishing her name and reservation PNR, she'll probably blame BA if someone messes with her return flights...
Old Jun 4, 2014, 12:57 am

Last edited by adrianjc32; Apr 2, 2017 at 7:34 am
Old Jun 4, 2014, 1:12 am

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
Personally I find it disappointing that she had to play the race card.

i.e to make the argument...

You gave me bad advice
I am Indian
Therefore you gave me bad advice because I am Indian

Diminishes what otherwise might have been a reasonable case
Old Jun 4, 2014, 1:13 am

Programs: BA GGL+CCR, HHonors Dia, Hyatt Dia

There are quite a few things that do not add up with this story from a self confessed experienced traveller.
Firstly they appear to have no FF status but could be trying a different airline.
Felt they needed the confidence of asking a TA that the short connection was a good idea. Hands up anybody who gets held in a holding pattern coming into Heathrow and hence delayed.
The penalty of missing a flight was quite severe given the apparent important meeting and the main concern was getting a hotel or lounge access for the time held over.
Making this all about race as well seems a low blow as the blogger blatantly has a chip the size of the Albert Hall but as pointed out I was not there and didn't said abuse.
Yes they were held over and entitled to some compensation but given how the account was written imagine they were very objectionable to the innocent ground crew and there is never a good reason to do that.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 1:33 am

A few people have questioned why the blogger played the Race card. I too think that this is a "lazy" explanation, when there are other potential explanations for apparently differential treatment by cabin crew and airside staff. However, what some people may not realise, is that there is a perception among many Indian travellers. that the staff of some airlines discriminate against people with "brown skins". Reading through some of the comments left on the predominantly Indian review site (mouthshut) for airlines like BA and Air France, there are many negative reviews based on perceptions of differential treatment by airline staff that all too often gets blamed on racist attitudes:
http://www.mouthshut.com/product-rev...iews-925004260
http://www.mouthshut.com/product-rev...iews-925004257

Some of the experiences related are undoubtedly upsetting. But what some of those reviewers/bloggers may not appreciate, is that there may be other reasons for differential treatment, other than racist attitudes by staff. Indian passengers who misconnect in the EU when transferring from the US to India do not have the option of going landside to a hotel when they have a long layover. And they feel like they are being "punished" when they have done nothing wrong, and see EU passengers on the same flight being given hotel accommodation. Another typical example from the mouthshut website is how BA cabin crew don't help short or disabled Indian passengers with putting their luggage up in the hold. Now you and I know that the BA crew are not meant to lift passengers' luggage for good health and safety reasons, but as some Indian passengers tend to be shorter or more disabled than other passengers on the same flight to India, they feel the weight of this "unhelpful" attitude more. They feel they are being discriminated against because they have an ineligible passport or because of health and safety rules, which gets conflated into a rant against racist attitudes by airline staff.

What I do have some sympathy with is the idea that some airline staff are generally unhelpful because Indian passengers are perceived to be "difficult" passengers. They ask for their ordered vegetarian meal, which due to screw ups by the airside staff, have not been loaded. They have the wrong passport, which makes them hard to accommodate landside when a mis-connect happens. They are too short or disabled and need "extra" help. I too have brown skin and get that sense when I fly WT on BA to India, less so in CW (I don't fly with AF)- there are fewer smiles, fewer acknowledgements when boarding, except when being served by Indian cabin crew. I don't think it is racist, I just think it is poor cabin crew behaviour that just does the bare minimum. So when problems arise, and they invariably do with some Indian passengers (not due to the passengers' fault), they don't get much help. And passengers invariably compare those "attitudes" and behaviours against the generally more helpful attitudes from cabin crew they experience when using domestic and some Indian airlines (I haven't flown Air India for a long time, so I don't know whether cabin crew's attitudes have changed), and come up with the "it must be due to the colour of my skin" explanation, when actually it is due to "your missing vegetarian food order", "your inability to lift your hand luggage into the overhead locker", or "your passport which does not allow EU entry without a visa".

Sorry, my rant is almost over. I just had a sense from some of the comments on the thread that some people don't know about these undeniably upsetting experiences that some passengers face, that are all too often blamed on racist attitudes, but may be due to structural factors (wrong passport, screw ups from vegetarian meal orders, health and safety). However, a smile, and helpful tone of voice does go a long way- and I feel there are fewer of those for Indian passengers who tend to need more help than the average European travelling from the EU to India for business or a holiday. I don't think this is racist behaviour, just poor behaviour by some staff.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 1:46 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by tc69
.. [snip]... and come up with the "it must be due to the colour of my skin" explanation, when actually it is due to "your missing vegetarian food order", "your inability to lift your hand luggage into the overhead locker", or "your passport which does not allow EU entry without a visa".

Sorry, my rant is almost over. I just had a sense from some of the comments on the thread that some people don't know about these undeniably upsetting experiences that some passengers face, that are all too often blamed on racist attitudes, but may be due to structural factors (wrong passport, screw ups from vegetarian meal orders, health and safety). However, a smile, and helpful tone of voice does go a long way.....
Thank you for that perspective, I personally hadn't added up all those dots before and indeed I can see how in some travellers mind it all gets connected to skin colour. Possibly add in differing perceptions as to what airline staff and cabin crew are supposed to do. Being there "primarily for your safety" probably doesn't compute either, in some cases.

In a sense it is unlikely, given where the airport is based and the local workforce. Further more India is BA's second biggest market, it has absolutely no interest in making life more difficult for people from the Sub-Continent. My own take on this, not having witnessed the incident, is that people really ought to be 101% certain before reaching for the R card, but in moments of sheer frustration I can see how someone may reach a bit too soon.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 2:13 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
I looked over the blog in question a bit. For this lady at least, travel is all about what you do when you get somewhere, and not how you get there. Worth bearing in mind when considering how we view things through our own personal prism, perhaps.

I agree with Kgmm77 on this. If, as appears to be widely acknowledged, the MCT of 60 minutes is daft then the MCT really should not be 60 minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.