Buying tickets for a BA flight on aa.com

Old Jun 1, 14, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Buying tickets for a BA flight on aa.com

Hi; first post, though I've been lurking for some time.

I normally book flights through BA.com (or occasionally call BA), but it looks like I'm going to be booking through AA.com for a BA-operated flight. I have a few questions about the consequences of this (I did try searching first):

1) As BA Gold (OWE), would I get the free (exit row) seat selection on AA.com? I assume I'll need to add my BA FF number somewhere on the booking, so I'll keep an eye out for that.

2) After making the booking, is there any way to pull the booking into the BA.com MMB, so I can access the flight via the BA mobile app?

3) Does booking in this way (through AA) prohibit or remove the chance of receiving POUG offers from BA?

For those interested, the flight in question is BA0269 from LHR to LAX on 5/11/14. Unfortunately, this has to be an economy trip, and on BA.com it's ~£553 but on AA.com only £505.

Thanks in advance
Old Jun 1, 14, 4:31 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Go Fish
Hi,

Regarding Q1 - You will have free access to MCE seats from the time of booking.
Q3 - POUGs are only offered to bookings on BA.COM in my experience, though I was once able to POUG a telephone booking, but it had BA flight numbers and was point-point booking. So no POUG if booked through AA.
Q2- If it's a BA flight you are booking through AA, you will be able to link it back to BA. If it's AA flight, booked through AA, I don't know.
Old Jun 1, 14, 4:32 pm

Programs: BA GGL & CCRC, TK*G, FB G, HHH D, SPG P.
1) Yes you will get exit row seat selection, but will need to do it on ba.com (if it's a BA flight). You add your BA FF number when giving name, DOB etc.

2) Yes, but you will need the BA PNR. Get this by calling BA and telling them you name and flight number and they can tell you the PNR.

3) Yes, booking through AA will unfortunately prohibit a POUG. If still available, you will be able to pay to upgrade at a checkin desk on the day.

4) Welcome to FT.
Old Jun 1, 14, 5:20 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome paulgibbs

Welcome paulgibbs to Flyertalk, welcome to the BA forum in particular, as a Gold cardholder I am sure you will find lots of useful material here, that is if you haven't lurked here for a while already! Either way it's good to see you here, and may we see plenty more of you. Welcome again.

A couple of points to add to the excellent answers already given: note that if you don't select your seats (after putting the BA Gold card number in just below your name at the booking stage), then for 24 hours, while ticketing is underway, you won't be able to select a seat. Just an AA quirk. So what I suggest, even if you are 99.999% sure about it, is to select the "fare hold" button. Particularly if the pound strengthens any more, it will be a few bob cheaper the next day, assuming you are using the UK site of AA. That way you can muck about with seats and FF numbers before committing to ticketing.

Definitely no POUGs, but you are eligible for AUP upgrades at the airport.

In terms of following it, I'd suggest you also get the AA App too, just in case. It's actually a much better App than BA, so for example you will see terminal maps in it. You may be able to get both the AA locator and the BA PNR via classic.checkmytrip.com
Old Jun 1, 14, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for the quick and helpful answers
Old Jun 1, 14, 8:11 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by More Champagne Sir? View Post
2) Yes, but you will need the BA PNR. Get this by calling BA and telling them you name and flight number and they can tell you the PNR.
In my experience, you don't actually need to phone BA to get the BA PNR.
Go to BA.com, then hover over "Manage my booking" and select "Travel agent bookings made in the last 24 hours". On the page that comes up, input the AA PNR, the name, date and flight number, and as if by magic the BA booking, with BA PNR loads, saving you the need for a phone call.
Old Jun 1, 14, 9:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by andset1191 View Post
Go to BA.com, then hover over "Manage my booking" and select "Travel agent bookings made in the last 24 hours". On the page that comes up, input the AA PNR, the name, date and flight number, and as if by magic the BA booking, with BA PNR loads, saving you the need for a phone call.
Isn't it even simpler than that? Provided you aren't logged into your BAEC account, doesn't the AA PNR find the BA booking through MMB?
Old Jun 1, 14, 10:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold; HH Gold; M&M; PS Classic; VV Silver (deceased); BD Silver (deceased).
Originally Posted by paulgibbs View Post
I normally book flights through BA.com (or occasionally call BA), but it looks like I'm going to be booking through AA.com for a BA-operated flight. I have a few questions about the consequences of this (I did try searching first): ... For those interested, the flight in question is BA0269 from LHR to LAX on 5/11/14. Unfortunately, this has to be an economy trip, and on BA.com it's ~£553 but on AA.com only £505.
Double-check the prices on americanairlines.co.uk -v- britishairways.co.uk and if they are still significantly cheaper for the same flight(s) and same fare classes then why not simply book on ba.com and get a refund of the price difference from BA by invoking their "price promise"?

I just checked your outbound and a random inbound a week later and the fare difference is still there with both sites booking into "O" class in each direction so it seems that a price promise claim would be valid, assuming that a booking on the aa site would be treated as booking a BA operated flight even though on americanairlines.co.uk you'd be booking under an AA code.

If you do choose to go down this route then make sure you take and save screenshots of all stages of a dummy booking on the aa site including date and time, flight details, and fare class codes as you'll need to prove this to BA as part of your claim.

Details of the Price Promise are here
Old Jun 2, 14, 3:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by heartybob View Post
Double-check the prices on americanairlines.co.uk -v- britishairways.co.uk and if they are still significantly cheaper for the same flight(s) and same fare classes then why not simply book on ba.com and get a refund of the price difference from BA by invoking their "price promise"?
Thanks heartybob, I had no idea BA did this. I'll check it out.
Old Jun 2, 14, 12:21 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
I just booked a trip last week on AA.com for BA flights. The BA record locator will be in the eticket confirmation, at the end of the line that says " OPERATED BY BRITISH AIRWAYS"
Old Jun 6, 14, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by andset1191 View Post
This method worked for me to find my BA EWR/LHR flight that I booked on aa.com. Thanks!^

Search this Thread
Search Engine: