What happens at 10,000 tier points?

Old Jun 2, 2014, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
It would be nice to get Jokers at the 10K+ stage ... it's not nice seeing 'you have earned all the benefits' and know there are still many TPs to be earned in your Membership Year. The joker is an easier reward to use whilst continuing your normal flying pattern.
To be completely honest, I don't know how many people manage the 10,000TP mark on a yearly basis, but seriously now, I very much suspect that they effectively get informal jokers and that little is refused to them, especially assuming they make most of those TPs flying BA. I think some rules are there for the common mortals among us but not for the select few (I would be surprised if we were talking even 100 people here) who probably get some sort of individualised response from BA.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 7:10 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by orbitmic
To be completely honest, I don't know how many people manage the 10,000TP mark on a yearly basis, but seriously now, I very much suspect that they effectively get informal jokers and that little is refused to them, especially assuming they make most of those TPs flying BA. I think some rules are there for the common mortals among us but not for the select few (I would be surprised if we were talking even 100 people here) who probably get some sort of individualised response from BA.
There are at least 2 of of us on FT that regularly go over the 10K (and more!) mark. On oneworld 67% of my travel is BA with 33% AA. Yes, I've been able to upgrade using the jokers and a few times when availability is 'made' available. I don't expect (nor do I ever ask) for this availability. I'd like the additional jokers to increase the likelihood of being able to use Avios to upgrade.

I've been very fortunate in that when I have been unable to use Avios to upgrade I have been OpUped anyway due to oversales (I suspect). In recent times I've been buying F tickets if I am required to attend client on the mainland (AMS, MIL, FRA, DUB) taking advantage of some excellent F fares at not much more than the J fare from MAN.

The GGL (and the GGL team) is great, yes there can be a little more flexibility at times but nothing is ever taken for granted and any discretion or assistance offered is very much appreciated if unexpected.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 7:14 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Most I have managed in one year is just over 8,000 - all on BA, mind - none of this US-hopping going on! I found it a really tough year, not seeing my family enough, eating too many aircraft and hotel meals.. It was when 6,000 TPs got you to "you have earned all of the GGL benefits" on ba.com and 8,000 was seriously tough work! I have met a couple of 10k+ people - one who commuted to JFK from LCY each week and our own, esteemed c-w-s, but more than 5,000 per year is not really for me any more
Old Jun 2, 2014, 10:21 am

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by TheBaps
For a lot of people I think Ł30K a year gets them to comfortable Gold renewal but not a lot more.
Must have massive CIVs then.

If you're really unlucky (lots of high price 10tp EU returns) you may only scrape gold, but I treat Ł10/tier point as a typical normal flying amount, so Ł30k ($50k) for GGL (which on AA could get you a Ryan Bingham Concierge Key)
Old Jun 2, 2014, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: VS Silver, EK Gold, BA GGL/CCR
The GGL (and the GGL team) is great
Agree with this completely.

Being able to make bookings by email, know that the person you speak to will at a minimum have the same understanding of the fare rules as you do (!), no wait times on the phone and great timely support when things go pear shaped at LHR - other than the GGL redemptions that team are the best thing about the GGL level.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
There are at least 2 of of us on FT that regularly go over the 10K (and more!) mark.
Well done indeed. I understand your wish not to ask more than you are entitled, but I would not entirely be surprised if you were at least partly indulged if you did. Failing that the upgrades to F sound pretty good already!
Old Jun 2, 2014, 11:47 am

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
At 10,000 TPs, Willie Walsh will meet you before your next flight and give you a full Brazilian wax at the Elemis spa.

You can also elect to keep the BA speedmarque shape instead of going all the way.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 11:49 am

Programs: BA Silver
How many TPs do you need to guarantee a DVT?

Last edited by Paralytic; Jun 2, 2014 at 11:59 am
Old Jun 2, 2014, 11:56 am

Programs: LH HON, BA LT Gold, AFKL ULTI, WOH Lifetime Globalist, Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by Aztec_Flyer
Hi,

A quick question for the BA experts.

On the GGL webpage it states:

"Unlock even more rewards as your Tier Points increase

As you continue to fly with us, the annual Tier Points you earn unlock more rewards for you to enjoy. At 7,000, 8,000 and 9,000 Tier Points, you can choose one of the following:
•treat yourself and a guest to a cabin upgrade with an Upgrade Voucher for two
•choose another Gold Guest List Redemption for you and four companions
•enjoy an incredible 50,000 bonus Avios"

Are the same options available at 10k , 11k etc.?

Thanks.
I crossed the 10K mark in 2012 (and ended up flying little over 12K) and at that time the additional benefits over 6K where not available yet. Anyway, it makes absolutely zero difference whether you cross 10K or not (at least in 2012 that was). Also just to be clear, you will not be treated any different then a CCR holder with 5K.
In 2013 I did 6000 and I think for me this is a good level as I can get the number of Jokers I need and to have the CCR is handy.
This year I have just crossed only 3500 Points as I have shifted most of my travel back to LH (requalified HON in February, use BA now mainly for Middle East, BEY, CAI, TLV and NBO). If there is again the usual September promo I might go for 7K. But let us see and wait how good that promotion will be.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 11:59 am

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonElite
In my case, at 10,000 TPs, divorce papers would be in my future
Quite.

No disrespect to anyone whatsoever, but I think the person's BAEC page should just flash 'Get A Life!' in big red letters at this level.

Possible to have too much of a good thing.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
A sign that one needs to get a life and rest the swelling in your feet.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 12:56 pm

Programs: Hilton diamond, BA GCH
Originally Posted by Paralytic
How many TPs do you need to guarantee a DVT?
How many here wear TED stockings or aspirin or heparin on long haul flights?
Old Jun 2, 2014, 2:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Ok, so we have got at least three or four people who have crossed the 10K mark so I have to ask the question - what's the most TPs anyone has got in a membership year?
Old Jun 2, 2014, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe about 20K.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: BA gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Now that I don't recall! I mean, who in their right minds would do that?
It was around about the time when there was a mini-Do in WLG, and two FT ambassadors slugging it out in WT to SYD had a certain irony to it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.