Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What happens at 10,000 tier points?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2014, 3:58 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by PETER01
In general terms I would sort of agree with that however, until he fits in a few long haul WT and WT+ flights (he did promise he would try them) then I'd say he is a BA Expert but not quite a BA Guru......yet......

Yes I did say that didn't I? Even worse, there were witnesses.

Um, will Tel Aviv do?
Old Jun 1, 2014, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
This thread reminds me of that one (I think it lives in OMNI) called something like "Things they say about the most well-travelled person in the world"
Old Jun 1, 2014, 4:06 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

Um, will Tel Aviv do?
Oh yes you did indeed and there were witnesses (names under wraps)

Tel Aviv? Is that a 3 or 4 class 777?

That would do I suppose.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 4:15 pm

Programs: BA GGL & LTG, EK Silver, HHonors Lifetime Diamond; Proudly Mucci Free - total nonsense
Originally Posted by Aztec_Flyer
Thanks for the prompt reply. You seem to be the BA guru CWS! ^

I'm relatively new back to BA since November (ish) after a break of probably 10 years and give or take the odd trip on EK most of my travel is now with BA - hence the TPs.

Given I didn't have any Avios to begin with and that I have a family that like to travel with me where possible it's very easy to burn through the Avios, upgrades and GGL redemptions no matter how many you earn!
Curious how you go from no status, to CCR card in 6 months and onward past the 7k threshold. That's a LOT of flying, especially being based outside of LHR as your home airport.

Are you doing weekly returns to Asia in F? Care to expand on your schedule?
Old Jun 1, 2014, 4:43 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by bullroot
Quote:

Thanks for the prompt reply. You seem to be the BA guru CWS!

I'm relatively new back to BA since November (ish) after a break of probably 10 years and give or take the odd trip on EK most of my travel is now with BA - hence the TPs.

Given I didn't have any Avios to begin with and that I have a family that like to travel with me where possible it's very easy to burn through the Avios, upgrades and GGL redemptions no matter how many you earn!

Curious how you go from no status, to CCR card in 6 months and onward past the 7k threshold. That's a LOT of flying, especially being based outside of LHR as your home airport.

If you route your trips smartly to maximize TPs, it doesn't have to be like that. See the TP run thread. US 2 class flights in F can really bump you up.

I've done 55 flights this calendar year as of today and earned 3,800 TP since 1st jan. 17 trips in last 2 weeks earned ~1,800 and 16 in a week in April earned ~1,800. Those weren't entirely TP runs but "holidays traveling the long way" to the destination with a few runs thrown in (ie only flying for sake of TPs).

However, I only did 1,500 in the previous 6 months of my membership year.

My friends think I am mad but I think they miss out flying eg LHR LAX in WTP when I can do AMS LCY JFK MIA LAX in J and F for not much more.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 1:37 am

Programs: ABBA

Um, will Tel Aviv do?
Yes, but only in WT on the A321 on the overnight. Preferably on a fully flexible Ł1500 return ticket, but booked at the last minute so you're stuck in 18B.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 1:50 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; AF/KLM FB Silver; M&M LH FTL; LY GLD; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; A-Club Silver; Avis PCI
Um, will Tel Aviv do?
Yes, and I'll talk to clubman about the two of us inviting you for a drink on arrival to take off the edge!
Old Jun 2, 2014, 1:50 am

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by Final 3 Greens
At 10k points, the BA sales team go out for lunch on your account
Some people get 10k tier points on something like Ł30k/year, others barely scrape GGL at that.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 2:23 am

Programs: BA gold

Um, will Tel Aviv do?
I recall you saying you'd accompany me in WT LHR-SYD. :P
Old Jun 2, 2014, 2:31 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Stez
I recall you saying you'd accompany me in WT LHR-SYD. :P
Now that I don't recall! I mean, who in their right minds would do that?

Originally Posted by paulwuk
Yes, but only in WT on the A321 on the overnight. Preferably on a fully flexible Ł1500 return ticket, but booked at the last minute so you're stuck in 18B.
But surely I can just ask Special Services to shift over whoever is in 9C?
Old Jun 2, 2014, 2:31 am

Programs: BA LTG, Defender of the turnip.
Originally Posted by paulwuk
Some people get 10k tier points on something like Ł30k/year, others barely scrape GGL at that.
For a lot of people I think Ł30K a year gets them to comfortable Gold renewal but not a lot more.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 2:34 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by waspsl
No idea but imagine you would struggle to use whatever the reward is
Originally Posted by MPH1980
If someone flies enough to earn 10,000 tps ... Do they really want rewards that encourage them back onto ANOTHER plane? ...
It would be nice to get Jokers at the 10K+ stage ... it's not nice seeing 'you have earned all the benefits' and know there are still many TPs to be earned in your Membership Year. The joker is an easier reward to use whilst continuing your normal flying pattern.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 3:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: VS Silver, EK Gold, BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by bullroot

Being based in DUB makes the BA F fares very attractive, particularly during the sales.

I've been travelling to the US roughly twice a month and most of the trips have been open jaw east coast / west coast so I end up on AA for the transcon flight as part of the same trip. Given that each of those trips earns 710 TPs (40+210+210+210+40) plus whatever side trips I end up on whilst over there and a few DUB-LHRs thrown in the TPs seem to accumulate quicker than the Avios.

I'm looking forward to the DUB flights moving to T5 though as the T1 to T5 transfer is less than pleasant.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 4:45 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Being based in DUB makes the BA F fares very attractive, particularly during the sales.

I've been travelling to the US roughly twice a month and most of the trips have been open jaw east coast / west coast so I end up on AA for the transcon flight as part of the same trip. Given that each of those trips earns 710 TPs (40+210+210+210+40) plus whatever side trips I end up on whilst over there and a few DUB-LHRs thrown in the TPs seem to accumulate quicker than the Avios.

I'm looking forward to the DUB flights moving to T5 though as the T1 to T5 transfer is less than pleasant.
Given that hefty travel schedule, once you've hit 9k, isn't it worth crediting to AA, for upgrades etc on the transcons? -you'll probably hit exp in about a month!
Old Jun 2, 2014, 5:03 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci

I wondered if something like that would be your pattern- still a lot of flying but maybe just manageable enough for the occasional round of golf / fishing trip / family...! ^ Have now had 2 sectors and I really like F on the new transcon A321s, good choice of entertainment and nice and private for a sleep.

Originally Posted by aceman
Given that hefty travel schedule, once you've hit 9k, isn't it worth crediting to AA, for upgrades etc on the transcons? -you'll probably hit exp in about a month!
Good point, but I think if this guy was any further forward he'd be flying the thing.
Zero to GfL in 3 years will also make an interesting story..

Last edited by crazy8534; Jun 2, 2014 at 5:16 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.