Wiki Posts
Search

Typical First?

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2014, 4:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
But yet you still keeping booking it
Indeed....no wonder BA are making profits if SFO777 continues to fly with them.

That's the 2014 BA Trip Report winner decided already.
Old May 31, 2014, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold
Originally Posted by paulwuk
First is all about the seat. Fancy service doesn't come in to it. The cabin crew are there for you safety, they aren't waiters in a restaurant.
I suppose we are all entitled to our opinions. In this case, I will respect yours and I shall agree to disagree with your statement.

I feel in Y your statement in spot on. In F, BA's own marketing and advertising materials state otherwise.
Old May 31, 2014, 10:51 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Originally Posted by SFO777
We all have our price.
SFO777, could you please let us know when you're next BA trip is

a) so that we don't book the same flight as you appear to be a magnet for BA disasters, and

b) so that we can pencil in a date in our diaries for the impending trip report. I want to make sure we're fully stocked with popcorn and beers.

Old Jun 1, 2014, 12:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Carlson Gold Elite, Accor Platinum, SPG Gold, Marco Polo Gold
In my observation, the issue here is that BA staff are more "variable" in their service than competitors; I have experienced amazing service from BA in Economy and dreadful service in CW/CE/F. Other airlines seem to have a more consistent approach to service.

I really commend staff who make the effort, and the indifferent and inattentive staff need to be weeded out. It's been all too common for me to see the Club staff (on CE) close the front galley curtains after the first drinks service, never to be seen again!

My point is, how many of us would choose BA, if it were not for the tier points, Avois and Silver/Gold status lounge access? It only makes sense for me because I'm London based, and I need to choose an airline that will take me to most places, and with whom I can achieve a decent status. I don't ever fly BA because I like the experience better than other airlines.

Lots of other airlines are far superior in Club/First than BA; indeed, even Emirates Club is significantly better than BA First (not to mention the boarding from the lounge at LHR).
Old Jun 1, 2014, 12:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Amelorn

The one upside to the general negligence was being left alone with the chocolates for almost 20 minutes.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 12:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by SukiB
... indeed, even Emirates Club is significantly better than BA First ...
Wow, why do you say this?
Old Jun 1, 2014, 1:36 am

Indeed. A lot of their fleet still have slopey seats in J.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 2:20 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, Gulf Air Silver, Aegean Gold, M&M FQTV, Air Malta Diamond
Originally Posted by paulwuk
First is all about the seat. Fancy service doesn't come in to it. The cabin crew are there for you safety, they aren't waiters in a restaurant.
Maybe First on BA, for BA regulars.

Not on other airlines, for other pax, I think.

The new generation of J class seats from Cirrus aren't that far away from BA F, either.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 2:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Carlson Gold Elite, Accor Platinum, SPG Gold, Marco Polo Gold
I'm not much a fan of the BA food, the seats themselves, and I much prefer the Veuve Clicquot Vintage to the LP stuff on BA (just my liking!). In terms of service, there's no comparison.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Indeed. A lot of their fleet still have slopey seats in J.
I only really fly on the A380 on Emirates - don't know what the other seats are like
Old Jun 1, 2014, 3:19 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Small aside SukiB, but if you want to fly to MIA (fromLHR) then BA is probably best of the available options....
Having been downgraded on EK so that cip's could be accommodated (and let's remember that there is no premium economy on EK and as I am both very broad shouldered and long of leg it was damn uncomfortable in their narrow Y seats) with not an iota of compensation (non EU airline flying to DXB from elsewhere in the world) I won't give EK any more money.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 3:56 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Skipcool3
Small aside SukiB, but if you want to fly to MIA (fromLHR) then BA is probably best of the available options....
Having been downgraded on EK so that cip's could be accommodated (and let's remember that there is no premium economy on EK and as I am both very broad shouldered and long of leg it was damn uncomfortable in their narrow Y seats) with not an iota of compensation (non EU airline flying to DXB from elsewhere in the world) I won't give EK any more money.
The usual compensation on EK is a free flight in the cabin you were originally booked in. So, if you were downgraded J-Y LHR-DXB, you get free LHR-DXB J class ticket for future use. This is normally offered at the airport I believe.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 4:15 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
No, the flight was Mumbai -DXB.
I was offered nothing and the fare difference, which was small, went back to my client.
Ok a shortish flight, but no other options were offered.
I must say I didn't shout and bang my feet, I didn't want to spend any longer at Mumbai....
Old Jun 1, 2014, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
The usual compensation on EK is a free flight in the cabin you were originally booked in. So, if you were downgraded J-Y LHR-DXB, you get free LHR-DXB J class ticket for future use. This is normally offered at the airport I believe.
YMMV. We were downgraded due to equipment change on the CMB-DXB portion of a CMB-DXB-LHR-LAX A ticket (cheap CMB F fare) last year. While we were initially promised (in writing nonetheless) a free J flight between LHR-CMB, that initial promise was over-ruled ("sorry, that person was not authorized to offer you that") and we wound up receiving all of $60 each for CMB-DXB downgrade. Oh yeah, and I was Skywards Gold at the time. IME, CS at the big three Gulf carriers is shockingly bad and in stark contrast to the experience once you arrive at (or even depart for) the airport.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Betteronacamel
SFO777, could you please let us know when you're next BA trip is.
a) so that we don't book the same flight as you appear to be a magnet for BA disasters, and
b) so that we can pencil in a date in our diaries for the impending trip report. I want to make sure we're fully stocked with popcorn and beers.
LOL. You may want to the very mindful just before Christmas and New Years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.