Wiki Posts
Search

Question: recent CE experience

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2014, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, NH SFC, IHG Diamond, Radisson VIP, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Question Question: recent CE experience

I just flew LHR-TXL in CE today, which was really shocking.

The departure time was about 5pm, I expected an onboard dinner, so did not really had food in the Flounge.

However, the meal was only "afternoon tea", i.e. 3 small/thin sandwiches (hummus one had a horrible taste) & 1 scorn. No pre takeoff drink, one drink including tea/coffee & one scorn (no second round), etc.

The cabin crew were not interested in CE passengers, I felt as if I had been in ET

I flew some CE such as LHR-BRU, LHR-HEL, etc. last year, I thought at least meals were much better. Have they downgraded the CE service?
Old May 30, 2014, 5:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
That meal is pretty standard, and short haul doesn't get pre-takeoff drinks. As far as second rounds go, I've never had an empty glass...you could have asked. Some crews are more hit and miss than others, sounds like you had a poor experience.
Old May 30, 2014, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Your flight left at 16:50 - the cutoff the afternoon tea/dinner is unfortunately 5pm...
Old May 30, 2014, 5:49 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Depends on route.
LHR -Berlin gets terrible catering. But then again, it is little better on Lufthansa.

The afternoon tea fiasco where it is served up until 16.59 departure (which is of course an hour later when you move your watch forward to German time) and probably not served until 17.30 (18.30)
Did you experience the benefit of a former BMI airbus, with it's terrible seating in CE too?
Old May 30, 2014, 9:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
You are right about afternoon tea - absolute joke and in no way business class catering. Unfortunately, BA just don't get it and insist that customers want this stodge.

Pre-flight drink, whether water/juice or including Champagne, has never been part of the BA pre-flight CE experience. If you want this, try Comair (operating as BA) in South Africa. AFAIK this is not offered in Europe on other main airlines such as AF or LH. BA's excuses revolve around time to serve pre-flight drinks and cost due to duty if Champagne were offered, yet they have HMRC dispensation for long haul Champagne and Comair can do it in SA!

Offers of extra scones and extra drinks really depends on the crew. Neither are part of the service standard and some crews think that constant attention can be grating. If you push the call button, both (and more) should be readily available.
Old May 30, 2014, 11:46 pm

Programs: CX gold
You held back from eating in the Flounge........for a small tray meal on a BA flight?
Old May 31, 2014, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
I'd actually be happy with afternoon tea if the sandwiches were of decent quality and they served a champagne which was remotely drinkable.

What you must do when travelling on an afternoon tea service is to request a special meal (seafood is my choice) if you book more than 24 hours before departure. You do this through manage my booking.

If less than 24 hours before departure and you've not reserved a special meal it's always worth asking if they have anything more substantial in economy. I know on the band 3 flights (e.g. PRG) the flatbread offered in economy is nicer than those sandwiches in CE.

Ordering a special meal gives feedback directly to BA where it matters, plus you get something nicer to eat. If more people order special meals they'll start to realise it'd be more cost effective just to offer decent food to begin with.

Also send a message to customer relations about your experience.
Old May 31, 2014, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by Dark Blue
...However, the meal was only "afternoon tea", i.e. 3 small/thin sandwiches (hummus one had a horrible taste) & 1 scorn.
A Freudian slip if ever I saw one
Old May 31, 2014, 2:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Yep you really need to be aware of the meal time slots to maximise CE experience. I flew back from CPH on Monday night, I really enjoyed the dinner on board, a nice chicken linguine with some bread and cheese. Unfortunately it was an ex BMI plane I believe, it certainly felt more cramped than usual.
On the outbound I flew mid morning, so opted for economy and had a good breakfast in the Flounge. That tends to be my strategy, at least for RFS
Old May 31, 2014, 2:30 am

Programs: BAEC
One thing US carriers actually do better than BA is their equivalent of CE (Domestic First). The seats are wide, there's almost always hot food, and pre-flight drinks are standard.
Old May 31, 2014, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
I like the afternoon tea, although perhaps the cutoff should end slightly earlier, maybe at 16:30.
Old May 31, 2014, 3:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA6501
Your flight left at 16:50 - the cutoff the afternoon tea/dinner is unfortunately 5pm...
Gosh, I should have known that, I never expected the afternoon tea would be served after 5pm... (not departure time, the time when the meal's actually served)

I normally flew LHR-BRU around noon, always proper meals were served. Also, a bit longer flights to HEL, MUC, etc. after 5pm, so "dinner" served.

But more annoyingly, the cabin crew were not attentive/caring at all, even never asked if we would like to have one more coffee/tea/drink, just said "pass me your tray please" and gone. I hardly saw them in the cabin until the tax free shopping...
Old May 31, 2014, 3:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SCSA
One thing US carriers actually do better than BA is their equivalent of CE (Domestic First). The seats are wide, there's almost always hot food, and pre-flight drinks are standard.
I do agree. I fly AA domestic First more often, it's been a while sine my last CE. It was like a BA domestic flight, I did not see any point to pay more for the "business" class...
Old May 31, 2014, 3:11 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Once in a while you will get a crew that isn't terribly pro-active. But for goodness sake, you pay for the service and if you want another drink (or even another scorn!) then press the call bell or go to the galley. You employ them, not vice versa. More likely is that they incorrectly perceive you to be happy - well they're not mind readers and they can get it wrong, so again, press the call bell or pay them a little visit.

I agree with Genius1 that the cut off time could perhaps be a little earlier, and I also like the afternoon tea (though not Alpha Catering's LGW scones). On the other hand, I am not sure I'd want a full evening meal at 16:35 hrs, that seems a bit early to me.
Old May 31, 2014, 3:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
A Freudian slip if ever I saw one
Oops, but I keep it as it is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.