Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Adds Burger to First Class In-Flight Menu, First and Concorde Lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Adds Burger to First Class In-Flight Menu, First and Concorde Lounges

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2014, 2:52 pm

Programs: United 1K, Alaska MVP 75K, HH Diamond
Lets just hope there are no plans for a drive thru
Old May 29, 2014, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Chips/french fries belong to that group of foods that you need to go out for to really get the best, along with steak, sushi, curry, etc.

Unless you have a commercial deep fryer (in this case) those chips are never going to taste as good (in my experience).

Shall we have a meetup in GF to test?
I must say I'm quite happy with my efforts on that front - grannie's recipe, no professional deep frier but always fresh oil (rancid is horrid) and a slowly perfected work on cut! Steak works pretty well too: cuts hung by someone I know personally and cooked on my open woodfire (in other words, in one of my two home bases, the other one doesn't have anywhere near such a facility!!). I don't normally eat sushi but am a huge fan of sashimi and for that, completely agree with you, I let the professional masters do the work! Pizza is the other food which for me requires a true pizzaiolo and a proper wood oven so not even worth trying at home in my (wood-oven-less) case.

Great idea on the GF chips test!!
Old May 29, 2014, 4:18 pm

Programs: BA LTG, Defender of the turnip.
Meh. Would rather they brought back the sausage rolls and savoury pastries that the used to serve in CW before they decided they were suitable for being "enhanced" out of existence.
Old May 29, 2014, 5:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by pbarnette
I might consider paying for F if they offered kebab.
Give me the choice of a juicy Berlin durum doner in F and I'd choose it every time.
Old May 29, 2014, 8:10 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
I think the 'when in Rome' filter needs to be applied here. Asking a lounge to serve you a steak that measures up to Peter Luger or a lobster like you get in Kennebunkport is not realistic. That said, the hamburger is pretty average and could be hugely improved if we could drift away ap from the health and safety requirements to kill it.
The problem is that a $6 steak from the grocery store that I massively cock up (I am terrible with red meat) is still miles ahead of the BA steak.

As for health and safety, it's become a self-sustaining tyranny of fear.

"Dieu et mon droit" and "honi soit qui mal y pense" aren't the substantive mottos of the UK. It's "Health & Safety".
Old May 29, 2014, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by rajsbasi
Lets just hope there are no plans for a drive thru
VS has one in T3
Old May 29, 2014, 8:39 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Hilton Honours Gold
I had their burger at the Galleries F Lounge in LHR T3 last October... was good, but wasn't much to write home about... Hoping the new burger is an improvement.
Old May 29, 2014, 9:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
I am surprised that no-one has given us the recipe for triple cooked chips. Here goes! (If you haven't had them, then you really haven't had proper chips.)

With triple cooked Chips, the chips are seeped in boiling water (the water is brought to the boil, but they are not simmered or they will become crumbly). They are them cooled and the evaporation of their own stream dries them. They are then fried at a low temperature (about 160C) until lightly golden. They are then removed from the heat and allowed to cool. Finally, just before serving, they are fried again briefly at a higher temperature (about 190C) until coloured and crisp.

Done properly, they are absolutely divine and beyond comparison with any other so-called chip.

While BA can do the first two cooks (water and first fry) on the ground; my issue would be how exactly to do the final high temperature fry? Without a proper deep fat drier, I would say the end result is going to be a variant on oven chips - hardly haute cuisine!
Old May 29, 2014, 10:28 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
I had the Sliced Special Roast Beef in the LHR Concorde Room on Tuesday it was virtually inedible, worse than the Bargain $9.99 Sirloin at any USA Outback Restaurant.
Old May 29, 2014, 11:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
The menu (and buffet) in the first class lounge at LHR (and LGW) are well below the standard of OneWorld partners Qantas & Malaysia Airlines first class lounges. My wife remarked to me just 2 days ago that the BA first lounges seem to be trying to emulate British pub food and set their sights no higher to which I replied that British pub food has advanced beyond that sort of standard over recent years.

We concluded that the only remotely premium aspect of the current BA first lounge offering is a selection of slightly better alcoholic products than that in the business lounges. Event then ice trays were full of melted ice and the lemon had run out at the station we were at. Another plus is that the view from the Terrace off the first lounge at LHR is very good - just a shame the worn out leather sofa swallows you up alive!
Old May 30, 2014, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I think the 'when in Rome' filter needs to be applied here. Asking a lounge to serve you a steak that measures up to Peter Luger or a lobster like you get in Kennebunkport is not realistic. That said, the hamburger is pretty average and could be hugely improved if we could drift away ap from the health and safety requirements to kill it.
I think it everything is relative. Like you, I would not expect the BA at the LHR lounges to offer the same standards of food as Gordon Ramsay on Royal Hospital Road as well as a few hundreds other better London restaurants, but there is still some margin. Food in the QF F lounges is much better than in the BA CCR, and food at the AF P lounge is yet much much better. So the key point is that the basis of comparison here is not real restaurants but other First class lounges, so not an unreasonable standard IMHO.
Old May 30, 2014, 2:18 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Virgin Flying Club Red, Swiss M&M Blue
Given the price of a first ticket and BA's claims from their website

"We want to make your experience individual to you and your fine dining experience to be one you won’t forget."

I don't find the option of a burger really hits the right note even if very well executed.
Old May 30, 2014, 2:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXP
Not only is the food in the BA F lounges below that of other airlines in their own "home" lounges (CX in HKG, EK in DXB etc), it seems to be significantly below that of airlines away from their home airports - eg I was extremely impressed with the food, service, drinks in the QR lounge in T4 and that's a J lounge (same for EK in T3 although I wasn't there for very long to compare as much).
Old May 30, 2014, 2:32 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by dobba
Given the price of a first ticket and BA's claims from their website

"We want to make your experience individual to you and your fine dining experience to be one you won’t forget."

I don't find the option of a burger really hits the right note even if very well executed.
The burger will be an option on the Bistro Menu not the main lunch/dinner menu (although nothing stopping you from selecting it for lunch/dinner). I welcome the burger, it provides a welcome alternative to the afternoon tea sandwiches on a long westcoast TATL. Thanks BA ^
Old May 30, 2014, 2:56 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
What find strange in some countries, is that and using Ontario as an example in Canada, you can order a medium rare sirloin steak no problem, but order a 100% steak burger and their health and safety legislation means that you have to have it well done. It's the same meat. One is ground the other not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.