Dead passengers

Old May 29, 2014, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Dead passengers

As the last post in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ba-flight.html

was more than five years ago I am compelled to start a new thread to highlight this newspaper article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...assengers.html
Old May 29, 2014, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Regrettably I have reached my quota of Torygraph articles for the month and cannot see the article.

However this is FT so I shall plug on regardless...

From time to time a passenger would die on one of our QR flights.

It was most likely to happen on a JFK flight due to a combination of long block hours, high seat factor and high capacity.

The procedure was to strap the deceased passenger into their seat and if possible move passengers sitting next to the deceased to another seat. If no other seats were available then the living passengers would need to sit next to the deceased until the aircraft reached it's destination.

I recommended passenger complaints from having to sit next to a deceased passenger be addressed by issuing a full refund. But I don't think that this was actually implemented.
Old May 29, 2014, 5:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
See my posts #2 and #31 in this thread...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...version-3.html
Old May 29, 2014, 6:17 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Looks like the press have been sneek-preview-ing next Tuesday's 'A Very British Airline'. I think SQ have a 'corpse closet'.
Old May 29, 2014, 6:28 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
The procedure was to strap the deceased passenger into their seat and if possible move passengers sitting next to the deceased to another seat. If no other seats were available then the living passengers would need to sit next to the deceased until the aircraft reached it's destination.
If the cadaver was in an aisle seat, would it be moved to the window seat, or did the window seat passenger have to climb over them to get out?
Old May 29, 2014, 6:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom

The procedure was to strap the deceased passenger into their seat and if possible move passengers sitting next to the deceased to another seat. If no other seats were available then the living passengers would need to sit next to the deceased until the aircraft reached it's destination..
How awful that would be especially for the person sat next to the body.

In that situation would they divert the aircraft as soon as possible or carry on to the destination regardless?
Old May 29, 2014, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Paralytic
If the cadaver was in an aisle seat, would it be moved to the window seat, or did the window seat passenger have to climb over them to get out?
The deceased passenger would be strapped into their assigned seat.

Originally Posted by HIDDY
How awful that would be especially for the person sat next to the body.

In that situation would they divert the aircraft as soon as possible or carry on to the destination regardless?
It would be awful, hence my recommendation that we issue a full refund to the adjacent passengers. But diverting the aircraft is extremely costly so I think that carrying on to the destination is the right thing to do.
Old May 29, 2014, 6:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Perhaps the deceased person's neighbour could be offered their food and drink in compensation, if still available of course.

I suppose it could be considered the ultimate DYKWIA (or DYKWIW) moment to pass away on board an aircraft while in flight.

Note to self. Must try to stop being so flippant.
Old May 29, 2014, 7:12 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
SQ's ultra long range A345 aircraft actually have a specific refrigerated container in the cabin to put a body in if a fatality occurs in flight. Given one sector length is 18-ish hours non-stop from SIN to EWR I guess they estimated the likelihood of an occasional fatality was reasonably high to install this.

It would not be pleasant for pax to have a corpse for some 12 hours close by someone if a fatality occurred early on.

IIRC, SQ no longer operates these ULH flights anymore.
Old May 29, 2014, 7:13 am

Programs: BA Silver, Thameslink Delay Repay
Originally Posted by DrGee
I suppose it could be considered the ultimate DYKWIA (or DYKWIW) moment to pass away on board an aircraft while in flight.
Quite probably - not to mention if your life gets "enhanced", you receive one final op-up to F...
Old May 29, 2014, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...traveller.html

An older article from the DM, about poor people having to sit next to a lifeless person.
Old May 29, 2014, 7:44 am

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by origin
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...traveller.html

An older article from the DM, about poor people having to sit next to a lifeless person.
Typical daily mail accuracy and eye for detail
40 in premium economy (called 'World Traveller) and 122 in economy
Old May 29, 2014, 8:28 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Perhaps the deceased person's neighbour could be offered their food and drink in compensation, if still available of course.

I'm glad you posted that because it save me look like the crass one.

Personally I think that the presence of any relatives of the dead person onboard would likely end up being rather more distressing for all concerned than the presence of dead themselves - and i'm not for a moment suggesting that any relatives in that situation should be other than extremely upset.
Old May 29, 2014, 8:43 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection

Mr Pinkcat and I did idly wonder about this as a final voyage but decided it would be unfair on other pax . The consultant was less than impressed at his attending the JER do last year and he was told to keep his feet on the ground
Old May 29, 2014, 8:43 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by csutter
Quite probably - not to mention if your life gets "enhanced", you receive one final op-up to F...
That comment caused a tea-spluttering laugh...now I have to wipe my screen!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.