Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold member personal greeting

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:31 pm

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
Originally Posted by Vinotraveller
That sounds like a spectacular way to great a member!
.. and the 2019 Flyertalk BA forum double-entendre awards goes too.... Vinotraveller
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Addressed by name at most points on yesterday's JFK-LHR flight in CW. 8-10 people in the cabin (with maybe 50? onboard), so not that hard to do.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 4:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,, Oman Air Gold
Silver member personal greeting (!)

I was flying back in 2A from IOM to LCY today when I saw the CSM (actually the only crew member on this flight) introduce herself and welcome the goldie in 1D.

I couldn’t hear what was said but it all seemed very friendly and spontaneous.

Then, to my surprise, she came to me and I was welcomed to the flight by name despite being a mere silver. It was not forced and I can see why, if done properly, it can be a nice moment for all you golds.

During the drinks round I asked for a G&T and was promptly given two Tanquerays and two tonics. She subsequently asked me on two separate occasions if I wanted any more - but ever mindful of my Northern Ireland grandmother’s advice that the Devil is always in the third glass I declined.

I was much weaker, however, when towards the end of the flight she asked me would I like to take away some champagne; after a mumbled “yes, please” two bottles of Castelnau quickly appeared...
EDIwanderer likes this.

Last edited by CoweyB; Feb 12, 2019 at 4:19 pm
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Not yet Gold (will be in April!) but I would find the whole personal greeting thing a huge embarrassment. Fair enough if travelling in F, I have only flown F a couple of times and it is good to be treated special when spending a lot on the ticket but if I were in WT/WTP and I was singled out for a greeting I would sure be embarrassed. As a Gold we aren't that special IMO and yes, we have benefits but a personal greeting? No thanks.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:48 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Hyatt Prive, Hilton Impressario, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Roswood Elite, MO Fan Club
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
Not yet Gold (will be in April!) but I would find the whole personal greeting thing a huge embarrassment. Fair enough if travelling in F, I have only flown F a couple of times and it is good to be treated special when spending a lot on the ticket but if I were in WT/WTP and I was singled out for a greeting I would sure be embarrassed. As a Gold we aren't that special IMO and yes, we have benefits but a personal greeting? No thanks.
I dont get it...what is embarrassing about it? It's not like someone is telling you off for having done something stupid...
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
I would find the whole personal greeting thing a huge embarrassment.
It's certainly embarrassing when a crew member approaches you awkwardly, tells you they have a "personal" message for you from the Executive Club and proceeds to read the greeting mechanically from their iPad (which, in my experience, is what usually happens), but when it is done well and appears spontaneous it can make you feel genuinely appreciated and welcomed on board.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite
Add my last experience in the matter.

Flew TLV-LHR-JFK as WT+ on Dec 15, 2018.

On TLV-LHR segment, fell asleep before we even took off (after long sleepless night as the flight left early in morning and planned to sleep on the flight) ... to my surprise, after I woke up, the very lovely CSM (I'm assuming) came to apologize that she haven't greeted me earlier but mentioned seeming me completely asleep and didn't want to wake me up, and asked if everything is ok.

The fellow traveller next to me (a young lady) seemed very perplexed as of why and what ...

Didn't happen on the LHR-JFK (WT+ as well) later that day...

But have a JFK-LHR (First) and LHR-TLV (CW) coming in a month. would be interesting.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Well, we elders were greeted yesterday!

First time for ages, it seems. LHR-PHX, on the UD in J, and the CSM came upstairs to do it! The difference between CW ex-LHR and ex-LGW was tangible in all respects, I have to say. Two delightful CC and good food sealed the deal!
Tobias-UK and subject2load like this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: BA
BA460 yesterday - no gold greeting for me, or my friend (her first flight since becoming gold for the first time) - we were in F on a 773 to Madrid (CE service). My partner was on the same flight in economy, was upgraded to club the day before and was given a warm welcome at his seat for becoming bronze.Hilarious!
alex67500 likes this.

Last edited by BCALDavid; Feb 17, 2019 at 8:51 am Reason: extra detail
Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
I have 4 recent flights they were the BA123 to Doha the QR960 to DPS Bali the CX784 to HKG and the BA32 to LHR traveling with my 2 adult children (Blue's) in Y. On all 4 legs we got a non cringe worthy Gold greeting on all 4 flights, and given Champagne on the BA flights we had great crew on all flights. It was funny as my kids thought who is this man? is he famous we don't know him .
John
alex67500 and subject2load like this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by BCALDavid
BA460 yesterday - no gold greeting for me, or my friend (her first flight since becoming gold for the first time) ............ My partner was on the same flight in economy, was upgraded to club the day before and was given a warm welcome at his seat for becoming bronze.Hilarious!
Love it ! Very amusing.

It’s all good stuff. You could be forgiven for thinking that CC play a fun game amongst themselves to see who can come up with the most oddball strategy for ‘personal greetings’
T8191 likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by BCALDavid
BA460 yesterday - no gold greeting for me, or my friend (her first flight since becoming gold for the first time) - we were in F on a 773 to Madrid (CE service). My partner was on the same flight in economy, was upgraded to club the day before and was given a warm welcome at his seat for becoming bronze.Hilarious!
But you were in FLUB so not all bad!
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
Not sure why BA doesn't learn from Finnair, who are so good at unforced status greetings for Oneworld. Every single flight I've flown with AY, in any class, I've been warmly greeted, even on short hops.
​​
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold. Flying Blue, Radisson, Accor
Just returned from Bangkok and greeted early on in the flight. Just came and said hello and if I needed anything to let him know.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 4:11 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN

But you were in FLUB so not all bad!
Flub Europe :-D
Might be a good name for the new CW seat, since it's possible it will be better than the current F seats. Flub World Suite. Solves the @C-W-S conundrum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.