Gold member personal greeting

Old Oct 15, 2018, 4:59 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by paulieuk
Not had a GCH greeting on a shorthaul Y flight for a while, but they've usually been busy services.

Flying back from MAD to LHR on Saturday night, the load was very light - including just four pax in J - so I thought the iPad might be consulted before a quick look-in with me and the OH, also a GCH, as we made for an easy two-for-one. But no.

At one point I took my empty can and newspaper to the rear galley (where all the crew members had gathered) on my way to the toilet and was basically reprimanded firstly for not handing them over when she'd collected rubbish earlier (perhaps not considering that I hadn't finished with them at that stage) and secondly for not just stuffing them in the seat back pocket for the cleaners at LHR to deal with. Spoke volumes that she didn't just chose to say, "thank you" and take them off me.
Had an equally uninspiring BCN-LHR on Thursday. Was in Row 1 CE so could hear the galley quite clearly. Despite it being a chocka-full flight, with a significant ATC delay due to weather at LHR the CSM and her flight crew spent the whole time pre-flight chatting - didn't come and see the CE cabin at all, even though we had been in our seats for 40 minutes before the plane left the stand.

Once we finally got going, it took an age for any catering to appear, with the lady behind me getting her vegetarian option and generally being treated as if she were the Queen (maybe she was?!), and the rest of the CE cabin getting Sir or Madam alongside a spectacularly lacklustre service.

For a full flight, even in CE, I understand that the crew need to spend all their time getting the service completed, but with 40 mins before departure and then maybe another 40 minutes before landing in this case, they just chatted to each other as if there were no passengers at all on the plane. It just felt incredibly lazy and lacking in any customer service at all.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: BA gold
Had a gold greeting while on an overbooked Y LHR-LAX service last weekend. Asked if I wanted anything, I said I was fine but got a bottle of water from CW anyway. Nice touch, lady next to me looked miffed she didn't get the water and didn't want to accept my offer after the CC left.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
24 hours' notice of greeting!

A new one on me. Received an email a day before leaving Lagos in CW on BA74. It was from the BA Duty Manager at LOS asking me to make myself known at the check-in, and to e-mail back if I had any requirements. Not quite sure what to make of this, before I handed my passport over at check-in I said, "Er I had an email from..." and the desk agent jumped up and said, "Ah, Mr joelyp, welcome and please wait there, " and he started frantically calling over the BA staff member in charge of the check-in area, and her assistant. An effusive 30 seconds followed of thanking me for my custom and asking if there's anything BA at LOS can do to improve, or any assistance I needed. Feeling a little self-conscious at the spectacle and the bemused onlookers, I said I enjoyed flying from LOS (which I do) then thanked the staff and beetled off. My wife has since informed me I was a donkey for not asking for assistance in moving cabin!
Old Oct 18, 2018, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had my first CSM hello in recent memory, WT+ to YYZ. A friendly chat, bottle of water and offer of a glass of champagne from CW if I wanted. Excellent mixed fleet crew too.

Surprised me as just Gold Scum for Life.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 4:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Business class flight on Cathay from HKG to DPS today as BA gold member. I was personally greeted, and my food order was taken to make sure I got my first choice. Other passengers were just given from the trolley without ordering. I thought this was a nice touch.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 5:14 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, BA GGL
I had the station manager seek me out on my recent flight back from LAX. I had skipped check in as I arrived on an AA connecting flight so went straight to lounge and then for boarding. Once settled into my seat he came over and shook my hand and said that he had been trying to look for me in the lounge and just wanted to make sure everything was good.

When I flew back from LAX in Feb the same guy had paged me in the lounge to see if everything was fine.

However on the plane nothing from the Cabin Manager... However my partner did get a congratulations on retaining Gold handshake which I find hilarious as the gold retention was actually the renewal of the partner Gold card for my GGL retention
Old Oct 25, 2018, 5:24 am

Programs: BA GGLfL
Originally Posted by bermudasun
I had the station manager seek me out on my recent flight back from LAX. I had skipped check in as I arrived on an AA connecting flight so went straight to lounge and then for boarding. Once settled into my seat he came over and shook my hand and said that he had been trying to look for me in the lounge and just wanted to make sure everything was good.

When I flew back from LAX in Feb the same guy had paged me in the lounge to see if everything was fine.

However on the plane nothing from the Cabin Manager... However my partner did get a congratulations on retaining Gold handshake which I find hilarious as the gold retention was actually the renewal of the partner Gold card for my GGL retention
On two occasions the senior crew member has brought my wife (Partner Gold) cards and a bottle of champers for Gold Card anniversaries. On neither occasion was there any mention of me which amused us both.
bermudasun likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 3:44 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
BA 7060 yesterday (IB metal and crew) was the first time in ages I have had this. From a v. efficient Spanish CSD. Two of us in same row got the greeting.

A rare occasion when IB are more organised than BA maybe.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 6:12 am

Programs: DIAMANTAIRE EXTRAORDINAIRE
Flew dxb-lhr in Y recently , was proactively offered a glass of rose from F ,
With CX its always a bottle of evian, meals & drinks served first & a glass of Champagne.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 6:57 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by Pascoe
BA 7060 yesterday (IB metal and crew) was the first time in ages I have had this. From a v. efficient Spanish CSD. Two of us in same row got the greeting.

A rare occasion when IB are more organised than BA maybe.
Never had the merest sniff of any recognition from IB, and I've done a fair few flights with them.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 7:06 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by bermudasun

Old Dec 6, 2018, 8:41 am

Programs: BA, JAL
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Had an equally uninspiring BCN-LHR on Thursday. Was in Row 1 CE so could hear the galley quite clearly. Despite it being a chocka-full flight, with a significant ATC delay due to weather at LHR the CSM and her flight crew spent the whole time pre-flight chatting - didn't come and see the CE cabin at all, even though we had been in our seats for 40 minutes before the plane left the stand.

Once we finally got going, it took an age for any catering to appear, with the lady behind me getting her vegetarian option and generally being treated as if she were the Queen (maybe she was?!), and the rest of the CE cabin getting Sir or Madam alongside a spectacularly lacklustre service.

For a full flight, even in CE, I understand that the crew need to spend all their time getting the service completed, but with 40 mins before departure and then maybe another 40 minutes before landing in this case, they just chatted to each other as if there were no passengers at all on the plane. It just felt incredibly lazy and lacking in any customer service at all.
Had a near identical experience not long ago with queen in economy. Was tempted to ask why we in CE were being shafted. Literally they were slave to her and we were peasants. No plans to buy a rev ticket since. It's just burn burn now.
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I had two potential ones on my flight from LAX, but decided I couldn't be bothered with BA's faux greetings etc. so made it clear not to waste my time.

Usual mess before boarding didn't leave me in a good mood, and the delay carrying on from that.

Then in WT+, managed to get the only seat next to the one infant on the plane (although they were well behaved).

Did get to see a couple of people, possibly from WT, upgraded to CW as well before take-off. Not crew. The girl seemed genuinely excited.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Round trip in CE over the weekend for my wife and I. Crew outbound very good but absolutely no recognition of status at any stage of the journey through LHR. Crew inbound fawned over 2 blokes in 1AC and provided perfunctory service to rest of CE.

I genuinely cannot recall the last time I have been approached by crew on board a BA aircraft to provide recognition.

QR AA CX and QF are all generally far better at this than BA
Old Dec 19, 2018, 12:13 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
Had a great crew from LGW to GVA, the CSM did the whole of CE single-handed and did a very natural status recognition when offering me a hot towel. 9th Dec

Would you like a hot towel Mr SB and thank you for your continued loyalty.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.