Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold member personal greeting

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:40 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), IHG Rewards (Gold Elite), Marriot (Gold Elite), HHonors (Gold Elite), SPG (Gold)
OK so after my long haul to Gold via economy (as outlined in another post), here is an update on my Gold Greetings to date.

Between getting Gold and my TP reset I received no personal recognition from CC. That included a DXB-LHR, LHR-ABZ in WT and ET, an ABZ-LHR in ET, LHR-MAD-AGP in Business (Iberia), AGP-LHR in CE and LHR-ABZ in ET.

Last week I had my first trip since TP reset, and it’s a very different story:

ABZ-LHR in ET: Cabin Crew came to my seat in Economy, greeted me by name, welcomed me back and offered me champagne from CE

LHR-IAH in WT: No recognition

IAH-LHR in WT: CSD came to my seat (in the back row) just as I was served my coke by Economy Crew and said “Apologies Mr duncgor, I hoped to catch you before bar service, can I offer you some champagne? Also I’m sure the crew here will look after you but if they are not please come forward and let me know” and all said in front of the economy crew.

LHR-ABZ in ET: No recognition but then I fell asleep before take off and woke up when I landed.

i assume my CIV score maybe didn’t get updated until TP tweet? Hence the recognition on 50% of flights since but none before?
Old Aug 22, 2018, 5:08 am

Programs: BA Silver
Imagine actually getting annoyed or moaning about a 'lack' of a gold member 'greeting'. It's so upper echelon British, it makes me smile.
rossmacd and Great_circle like this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 5:20 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), IHG Rewards (Gold Elite), Marriot (Gold Elite), HHonors (Gold Elite), SPG (Gold)
I wasn’t complaining and haven’t seen too many who have, I think the main discussion here is just highlighting that it’s not consistent and that recognition is frequently better for BAEC Golds with other OW Airlines.

I’m perfectly happy sitting with my headphones and my kindle at the back of the bus, and as a more British trait am actually slightly embarrassed when the crew make a fuss of me in front of other passengers, but I take my hat off to those of them that do recognise their frequent flyers bough, it’s a nice touch. I do not however expect or rely on it. I spend a lot of time on planes, I’m more concerned about getting to where I’m going.
Passmethesickbag and TWCLAM like this.

Programs: BA Silver
I did have a very good one the other week flying back IAD-LHR, mind.

CSM came back to Y to look for me but ended up giving this pretty long winded greeting to the guy in front who seemed a little perplexed but was quite happily going along with it all. I quietly pointed out just as she was about to turn away that I'm actually Mr ****. She was very apologetic and the guy in front was then quick to point out through a big grin, that yes he was just playing along with it all. Anyway, this lady by the name of Claire was just fantastic. She returned about 5 minutes later and whispered to me that there's an empty seat in WTP and if I would like it. I of course obliged considering I hadn't managed to get the usual exit row on this particular flight and she was also offering me the first row. She asked me to follow her lead, so I grabbed my stuff and we got to the seat at which point she quite vocally said, "Terribly sorry about the defective seat in 27H Mr ****- I will have make sure to have it logged for you, in the meantime hope this is alright for you" with a wink.

On an overnight flight, I can imagine the CC has to deal with quite a few unresponsive, pretty groggy and grumpy souls down the back but I could hear her as I woke up, chatting to fellow passengers, doing everything with a smile, checking if people had enough rest etc. It all came across so genuine. Then on the way out, as I was walking to exit, she asked if I managed to get a little more sleep myself and wished me a great day. Outstanding and when BA is like this- you can't beat it. Golden ticket issued.

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by duncgor
…..LHR-ABZ in ET: No recognition but then I fell asleep before take off and woke up when I landed....

To be honest I'm not fussed whether I'm greeted or not but I'd be pretty annoyed if they woke me to greet me!
I'd say I'm greeted on less than 25% of flights. Most recently, nothing on a family holiday flight out to Santorini but a very friendly MF crew coming back. Purchased BoB but after we'd finished the food and drinks, the crew offered the four of us drinks from CE and a bottle of water each which was a nice touch. Mrs gcuk even got shortbread with her tea in a mug! She was well pleased.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:04 am

Location: Usually LAX or SFO but sometimes MIA in the winter or LCY or PVK in the summer and every now and then SIN or SGN
Programs: in ASM, APL & C++ but never Java
Consistently inconsistent. Last week CW BWI - LHR yes, this week CW LGW-MCO no (but this flight deserves it's own thread for other issues!).
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
My family had a great crew both to and from Chania from LHR recently. We were brought water and fizz on the outbound (and suitable drinks offered for the children) and were provided with tea, coffee and shortbread on the way back. Great crews both ways and the recognition was done in a very genuine but also discreet way. The CSM on the outbound got an electronic golden ticket as she was so good with passengers generally - not just my family.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
Got a personal thank you when exiting BA78 this morning.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, BA GGL
Had it on both legs of my OTP back to back this week...

outbound looked like like a mixed fleet crew and as drink run was being done the CSM came over introduced herself and took my drink order.

inbound lots of seat shifting going on due to some shenanigans however towards the end of the flight the CSM came over to 1F and introduced himself... he seemed to have a rather in depth knowledge of FlyerTalk. Offered top up of drink and shortbread biscuit!

both done very discreetly
Old Aug 25, 2018, 1:18 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I had a greeting from one of the two captains on my flight the other night congratulating me on flying half a million miles with BA. ☺️
Old Aug 25, 2018, 1:37 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Moomba
I had a greeting from one of the two captains on my flight the other night congratulating me on flying half a million miles with BA. ☺️
haha great. yet when i hit 2MM on AA...nada. and nada since

been a while since i've received any greeting which is fine. if anything i have been shocked at the superb treatment on ground in MIA like pre-boarding i have been called out for on my last two MIA-LHR flights.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Sixt Platinum
First Gold greeting in ET

Got my first personal welcome in ET on a short route (!) from both the CSM and another, very friendly, CC this morning on my way to STR. CC member came up to us (in row 4) with two bottles of water and a few nice words which felt very genuine. During the service I asked for a coffee (same CC member) and (secretly) hoped for a free one from CE but was 'sold' a Java Republic brew (for which I am actually happy to pay because I think it tastes really good!).

On the way back (in CE), a very friendly CSM welcomed me by handshake and name (not unusual) and extended the same to my companion (Bronze member) (not usual) which I thought was a nice touch. Service was odd though because he first served all 5 rows with food (orders taken on the ground) before starting the bar service.

Last edited by EDDLEGLL; Aug 26, 2018 at 3:13 pm
Old Aug 26, 2018, 2:52 pm

I flew home from LHR to DFW at the end of June in WTP. Both the lady I was sitting next to and myself were greeted by our names by the CC. I have been a bronze in the past but am now a blue so to me calling me by my name throughout the flight added that extra touch and I appreciated it.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 11:08 pm

I have had now 6 flights after I got gold all in CE no welcome so fare from any CC or CSD. Next flight is in F to Singapore and back in CW, We are both gold so we will see if we get some changes. I got a welcome as a bronze and silver I went up to gold in 7 month so a bit dissapointing when you reached the highest tier your are not in the focus. So I should switch to another airline.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 11:48 pm

Programs: AVIS presidents club, BA GGL, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by chan36
I have had now 6 flights after I got gold all in CE no welcome so fare from any CC or CSD. Next flight is in F to Singapore and back in CW, We are both gold so we will see if we get some changes. I got a welcome as a bronze and silver I went up to gold in 7 month so a bit dissapointing when you reached the highest tier your are not in the focus. So I should switch to another airline.
We flew F last month for the first time since getting GGL. My partner is Gold as well and not one single crew member, outbound or inbound, introduced themselves to us. Whereas Qatar Airways, I haven’t had so many introductions and been made to feel so welcome. It is just typically lazy and disinterested BA crews.
chan36 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.