Wiki Posts
Search

Gold member personal greeting

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2014, 12:43 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by SukiB
I work mainly in BRU, so I often take the earliest flight at 06:40 to arrive at the office at 9ish. This is the only time I would travel wearing a suit, and this is the only time I ever get any such greeting (but only in CE, not ET). As a BA Gold member in my civvies, I never get a second glance. I travel enough to know this is isn't a coincidence.

Any other travellers noticed this?
No. I almost never travel in a suit. I prefer to dress for comfort if at all possible, not for work.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 1:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
My greetings are sartorially (and cabin) independent of one another.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 1:51 am

This is apparently so hit-and-miss, why do BA bother with it at all?
Old Jun 3, 2014, 1:51 am

Programs: BA GGL (but soon to lose the GL :-(), IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Dmnd (and pleb/pleb-plus in 1001 others)
I tend to find the chances of a gold-specific greeting increase as I get towards the back of the plane. Towards the front there is always a certain amount of this by virtue of class of travel, so its difficult to say that any of it is triggered by status. However when you're down the back and you're the only person around you to get a greeting its obvious why.

The most effusive greeting, and constant checking on my needs, I ever experienced was on a ET hop back from AMS. I was asked, by name, if I'd like anything else at least half a dozen times - by two different crew. I remember that one time I had only just finished telling CC1 I was OK when CC2 popped up less than a minute later. The guy sat next to me wondered who the hell I was.
jud_mc likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 2:15 am

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
I've had it a few times in CE. The last time I'd swapped seats with a friend (who hardly ever flies) so we could sit next to our wives for a bit. The FA launched into the spiel and my friend played along, interjecting with some made up gripes which made "me" sound ridiculous. No-one has approached me since. Have my first first to Vegas a week today so they are going to have to break their silence!
Old Jun 3, 2014, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
...I often take the earliest flight at 06:40 to arrive at the office at 9ish. This is the only time I would travel wearing a suit, and this is the only time I ever get any such greeting (but only in CE, not ET). As a BA Gold member in my civvies, I never get a second glance.

I travel enough to know this is isn't a coincidence.

This a bizarre thesis.

Frequent travel really isn't a proxy for logic.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 3:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Carlson Gold Elite, Accor Platinum, SPG Gold, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
This a bizarre thesis.

Frequent travel really isn't a proxy for logic.
Indeed, but abductive reasoning and Bayesian inference spring to mind in the context of frequency. Not a thesis as such, more a hypothesis.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 6:51 am

Programs: A3*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, Radisson Rewards Premium
The CSM got it absolutely spot on with me on my LHR-VIE flight in ET yesterday. There was no over the top greeting but he called me by my name when collecting my rubbish and thanked me by name as I was getting off the aircraft. A nice, subtle way of recognising me as Gold without fawning all over me in front of a full aircraft. The whole crew on that flight were brilliant and the service was top notch!
Old Jun 3, 2014, 7:05 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
I've been greeted in various forms personally in different scenarios and usually it's a nice touch that I appreciate.

Just this weekend, on JFK - LHR, UD crew throughout flight referred to me as Mr chris1979 including "nice to see you mr christ1979, safe travel home" but we had had a nice chat during the flight. it's a nice touch and should happen more often but appreciate they can't remember 20 names on UD.

I once was greeted first by the CSD and then the Y purser when sat in Y, again coming back from JFK. Again, all fine but it was a bit OTT when they offered me bubbles a few times (I dont drink), checked a few times that everything was ok (it was) and offered me a bose headset (that was appreciated!). It was also a bit embarrasing as I was sat in window seat (front row though) in WT and my 2 neighbours were an slightly older couple with at least 1 silver card holder. I can't quite remember the comment the gentleman made to me but it was clear that it was a bit OTT and I think he felt a bit offput and I was a bit uncomfortable.

Fine line though and on balance, I'd probably rather have a personal touch - though low key where possible.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Indeed, but abductive reasoning and Bayesian inference spring to mind in the context of frequency. Not a thesis as such, more a hypothesis.
I have no idea what you are talking about.

And i don't think you do

You can't right a wonky proposition by putting up a smokescreen.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bababa
What are your thoughts on being greeted by the csd on flights as a gold member?
Don't think it ever happened to me. Then again, I don't pay much attention to things like that, so maybe I just forgot that I was indeed greeted on occasion.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 9:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Flying Blue, SASEB
2 years ago I got greeted by the CSM or a member of the CC on the majority of flights. These days it's pretty rare.

Once upon a time, when flying in WTP or WT if I was towards the rear of the cabin (last minute bookings, only seats available) a crew member would almost always come and check what my meal choice was before the meal service to ensure I got what I wanted. In the last year or so this has stopped and on several occasions there has been no choice. This was always a welcome perk, but sadly these days it appears that once on board the aircraft having a Gold card brings zero benefits.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 6:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
Ironically, having said up-thread how I have never had a greeting in WT, I got one on the way back from ORD on the 294 last night. Indeed having introduced himself to me, the CSD then went and told one of stewards of my presence who then spent the rest of the flight looking after me really well (extra Glenlivet, always a winner). I sent off my gold ticket this morning accordingly as he really did go above and beyond and showed how a single great crew member can really transform you in-flight experience.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 6:38 am

Programs: BA GGL+CCR, HHonors Dia, Hyatt Dia
Originally Posted by LondonElite
A short sharp greeting with the offer to help is much appreciated since it tells me that the CSD is more likely to treat me as a valued passenger, rather than self-loading cargo (please pardon the hyperbole). What I don't like is the gushy, kneeling-in-front-of-me five minute speech about loyalty that I had on a flight on Tuesday. It makes me cringe.
Agreed, I find the subtle "Hello Mr WASP, welcome back and anything I can do just let me know" as plenty sufficient. However now as I seem to get it 95% of the time when it does not happen it feels odd.
Must be a closet egomaniac
Old Jun 6, 2014, 6:45 am

Programs: BA GGL+CCR, HHonors Dia, Hyatt Dia
I work mainly in BRU, so I often take the earliest flight at 06:40 to arrive at the office at 9ish. This is the only time I would travel wearing a suit, and this is the only time I ever get any such greeting (but only in CE, not ET). As a BA Gold member in my civvies, I never get a second glance. I travel enough to know this is isn't a coincidence.

Any other travellers noticed this?
TBH never noticed any correlation other than when I see a CSD/CSM looking red-faced and flustered running up/down the aisle the meet and greet does not happen

A bit like highlighted by Tobias I wear all kinds and no difference. I once on a very hot trip out of PHX had shorts/flip-flops/t-shirt and my suit jacket to save carrying it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.