Gold member personal greeting

Old Mar 26, 2019, 7:26 am

I’m 1 for 7 sectors flown since reset. But that 1 was in F and i think the CSM was just saying “hello”.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 5:28 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Interesting to see the comments about this becoming more frequent. I had a greeting this morning in CE before takeoff - and was the only one to be greeted. I doubt I was the only Gold as Row 1 was full. It was quick but sincere and felt positive!
bil likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 1:28 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
I doubt I was the only Gold as Row 1 was full.
I tend to grab a row 1 seat at check-in if available, and I'm silver.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 1:47 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I honestly couldn’t care less if I’m greeted or not. I’m far more concerned that they get the bar rolling than come and welcome me. It’s nice when it happens and I appreciate being addressed as Madame Galore even if they would not recognise me again if I fell through their dining room ceiling.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 2:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I had my first Gold Greeting in a very long time yesterday, on a short-haul flight into LHR, travelling in Euro Traveller. It started so well.

"Good morning, Mr xxx. I hope you're enjoying your flight with us today. Is everything to your satisfaction?"

I assured the young lady that I had no complaints. And then she went and ruined the illusion of personal attention by adding:

"We're supposed to ask, because you're Gold. Well, onto the next one..."

And off she went, further up the aisle, iPad in hand.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:35 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Titanium Lifetime/UA/JetBlue
Personal greetings are a big discussion point on here and reactions are very mixed, when I greet someone I also find very mixed reaction on board.

Some people struggle to remove their headset, and often clearly are not interested and others love it and want to chat which can also be a problem.

As a CSL on Worldwide Fleet I always try and take some of the pressure off my CSD and deliver the greetings in my cabin, which often also includes a message about the Exec club or a welcome to a higher tier. I often work in Traveller and World Traveller Plus so try also to offer a bottle of water as a gesture as well.
As a CSL on most aircraft I am also expected to be on a trolley offering normal cabin service so whenever I try and greet before the service this inevitably delays the start of the service. If I try and do it before take off I am rushing around trying to solve seating/hand baggage issues etc and I must look very rushed and stressed.

On some routes it is a delight, and there may be only one or two to speak to and then I enjoy it and I am sure it must seem very genuine. On other routes you would be surprised how many Golds and GGL we actually have, Sometimes on an A380 there might be 30-50 in the WT and WTP cabins which makes it very hard to do without looking a bit rushed. Sometimes i might manage a few before take off and then by the time I get another chance to say hello might be mid flight and often people are sleeping or watching movies etc.If there are more than a few to do it is almost impossible.

Needless to say on some routes virtually everyone in the Premium Cabins is a Gold or higher which obviously makes it virtually impossible to do, though that doesn't mean we do not value you.

Sometimes I just do not get the opportunity to do it and I have to accept defeat. Often there are things going on that you might not know about such as customer complaints/birthdays/honeymoons/broken seats or IFE, catering issues, medical issues or a combination of the above.

It mostly is not because we cannot be bothered it is more that we just are pushed to the limits with minimum crew and a service for nearly 500 customers to complete.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I've tended to have a greeting on what i imagine (though I may be wrong) less status heavy routes, or less busy flights. I even had one friendly chap shake my hand once, which took me by surprise. I certainly do not expect the cabin service to be slowed or urgent matters around securing the cabin to be delayed so that someone can say hello to me. I know Ba get slated for lack of consistency, but something like a Gold greeting, if it becomes a routine service standard, will inevitably simply feel like a going through the motions, whereas at the moment, it seems more heartfelt, precisely because it does not happen that often. I'd say this is pretty low on my list of Ba priorities.
Sealink and markzz2 like this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3*G, LH FTL, IHG Diamond
Recent experience on a BHD - LHR flight a "public" announcement after boarding was done:
"Since there are so many Gold card holders with us today, allow me to welcome you all in a bundle rather than invdiually."
Was not the exact wording, but the guy said so in a quite humorous way that I don't think anyone was upset about not getting a personal greeting
nwmgc likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
Originally Posted by SirToby
Recent experience on a BHD - LHR flight a "public" announcement after boarding was done:
"Since there are so many Gold card holders with us today, allow me to welcome you all in a bundle rather than invdiually."
Was not the exact wording, but the guy said so in a quite humorous way that I don't think anyone was upset about not getting a personal greeting
Wonder if it was the same person as did the GIB-LHR on Monday... same style.
Sealink likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold
Thank you, markzz2 for explaining the other side of it. It makes a lot of sense.

I don’t expect a greeting but when it happens I like it - as an opportunity to have a brief connection with the people who are keeping me safe and comfortable (applies to all classes of travel). And it’s a good opportunity for me as a customer to show my appreciation. The nice thing about it is that, when done sincerely, it opens up a two-way dialogue.

Originally Posted by markzz2
Personal greetings are a big discussion point on here and reactions are very mixed, when I greet someone I also find very mixed reaction on board.

Some people struggle to remove their headset, and often clearly are not interested and others love it and want to chat which can also be a problem.

As a CSL on Worldwide Fleet I always try and take some of the pressure off my CSD and deliver the greetings in my cabin, which often also includes a message about the Exec club or a welcome to a higher tier. I often work in Traveller and World Traveller Plus so try also to offer a bottle of water as a gesture as well.
As a CSL on most aircraft I am also expected to be on a trolley offering normal cabin service so whenever I try and greet before the service this inevitably delays the start of the service. If I try and do it before take off I am rushing around trying to solve seating/hand baggage issues etc and I must look very rushed and stressed.

On some routes it is a delight, and there may be only one or two to speak to and then I enjoy it and I am sure it must seem very genuine. On other routes you would be surprised how many Golds and GGL we actually have, Sometimes on an A380 there might be 30-50 in the WT and WTP cabins which makes it very hard to do without looking a bit rushed. Sometimes i might manage a few before take off and then by the time I get another chance to say hello might be mid flight and often people are sleeping or watching movies etc.If there are more than a few to do it is almost impossible.

Needless to say on some routes virtually everyone in the Premium Cabins is a Gold or higher which obviously makes it virtually impossible to do, though that doesn't mean we do not value you.

Sometimes I just do not get the opportunity to do it and I have to accept defeat. Often there are things going on that you might not know about such as customer complaints/birthdays/honeymoons/broken seats or IFE, catering issues, medical issues or a combination of the above.

It mostly is not because we cannot be bothered it is more that we just are pushed to the limits with minimum crew and a service for nearly 500 customers to complete.
Sealink and markzz2 like this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
BA816 LHR CPH today, stunningly fantastic crew.

Thanked me for my loyalty, congratulated me on renewing gold this month and was just a step above any other crew member I have experienced. He also had his team offering a great level of service on board. Golden Tickets ahoy!
Old Mar 28, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by markzz2

But you try, and that is appreciated.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 4:35 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Coming back from the GIB Do on the Monday lunchtime flight, the CSM announced that there were 49 GGL/GCHs on the flight, so he was unable to welcome us all individually, but said that this was a special message for us all!

Last edited by TravellerFrequently; Mar 28, 2019 at 5:48 pm
Old Mar 28, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
Coming back from the GIB Do on the Monday lunchtime flight, the CSM announced that there were 49 GGL/GCHa on the flight, so he was unable to welcome us all individually, but said that this was a special message for us all!
From LHR to JFK in WTP the other day, didn’t hear a peep.

On the way back, in economy I got a greeting from the Cabin Service Leader (I think that was what the badge said?) while still on the ground, then a few mins later the CSD/M came by to say hello and said it was a shame there weren’t two seats together in a cabin further forward. We opted to stay together but he would have moved us if we’d asked.

Anecdotally it continues to be the case for me that when there is a greeting the whole crew seems to be more up for it. Might just be coincidence.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 5:51 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by woglet86

From LHR to JFK in WTP the other day, didn’t hear a peep.

On the way back, in economy I got a greeting from the Cabin Service Leader (I think that was what the badge said?) while still on the ground, then a few mins later the CSD/M came by to say hello and said it was a shame there weren’t two seats together in a cabin further forward. We opted to stay together but he would have moved us if we’d asked.

Anecdotally it continues to be the case for me that when there is a greeting the whole crew seems to be more up for it. Might just be coincidence.
I went to JFK in WT late last year and travelled with the same crew on the return.

Neither the CSD or CSL spoke to me or the GCH with whom I was travelling on either flight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.