Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold member personal greeting

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2018, 2:16 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I had a "sorry didn't have time to come and say hello" on leaving the plane recently .. wasn't sure whether to be pleased or upset that he'd taken the time to realise where I was, probably took one look at me and then actively decided not to say hello
Stez likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 3:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
@ That1Feeling above .......

Yes, a difficult one to interpret !

It certainly adds to the growing range of varied approaches evident, as far as the whole principle of ‘status greetings’ is concerned.

Thus far, we have reports of :

- greeting received - and in a warm, genuine manner
- greeting received - but in a very stilted, robotic style
- greeting offered to a passenger holding Gold via a partner card - but with the ‘prime’ (accompanying) member being ignored (mildly amusing, in a quirky way ......)
- no greeting received whatsoever
- no greeting - but a subsequent unsolicited apology for the fact that one wasn’t given

The current thread (and similar ones in the past, IIRC) includes reports from FT-ers who have seemingly been accorded extremely high rates of recognition - some, even as high as 100% (nice !) ; others where it is much more a hit & miss affair ; and many status members who have yet to receive a single formal ‘dedicated’ greeting, in many years of BA flying.

I myself am largely in the latter camp (ie, no greetings .... BA-wise, that is), though this has never really bothered me (I’m FAR more interested in what sort of service I actually receive during the entirety of a flight). I say ‘largely’ because I do recall one particular BA flight last year where a very pleasant CC member approached me mid-journey, and asked whether I could perhaps help out with a query posed by another passenger regarding calculation of Avios earning rates. She added, in a friendly, warm, courteous, manner, that I would “very likely know the answer, being one of our regular customers

It is understandable that on some flights (perhaps due to an ‘unfavourable’ ratio of CC versus high status pax, and resultant time pressures) it is not easy for gestures of personal recognition to be given. I also believe it is right that the CSM should be allowed a certain amount of discretion. What strikes me as very odd, however, are the huge discrepancies reported here. The policy of offering a greeting has not been dreamt up by crew themselves. It surely (?) has appeared - at some point - as part of the airline’s SOP. And yet the inconsistency is such that one could be forgiven for assuming that the guide notes read something like :

“All our high-status BAEC members should be greeted personally by a senior crew member, and thanked for their loyal custom.
The only permitted exceptions to this policy are
a) where in-flight operational pressures do not permit this OR
b) if you can’t be bothered”.

simonsmith and ThatT1Feeling like this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 4:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
I recently made Gold for the first time and made my first flight since then yesterday. It was an overnight flight to Cape Town and I was sat with my wife and daughter in World Traveller.

Between the drink and meal service the CSM came and gave a warm and genuine welcome and congrats on reaching Gold. Not an iPad in sight. A round of drinks from up front was offered, which we accepted. Later as the cabin lights were dimmed another glass of champagne appeared.

All very well done and felt warm and genuine, no script in sight.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 5:35 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
So then is the real SOP something like 'combination of status, CIV and any other interesting factors' in order to give a greeting ranking or something like that (ie for where there genuinely isn't time to get round everyone).

Or is it simply that there's loads of discretion given, and then loads of variability in how this is interpreted.....?
Old Dec 19, 2018, 5:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
@ Pascoe - dunno !

I think your guess is probably about as good as mine. It’s all rather perplexing

What does seem very clear is that - based on many experiences reported here on FT (inc. my own) - the consistency in individual recognition of BAEC status members is, ironically, far greater onboard other OW carriers than it is on BA.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 5:51 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by binman
Round trip in CE over the weekend for my wife and I. Crew outbound very good but absolutely no recognition of status at any stage of the journey through LHR. Crew inbound fawned over 2 blokes in 1AC and provided perfunctory service to rest of CE.

I genuinely cannot recall the last time I have been approached by crew on board a BA aircraft to provide recognition.

QR AA CX and QF are all generally far better at this than BA
While my low silver status means I don't get this service. I do travel a reasonable number of CE trips, I have only in the last 20 flights seen 1 Gold member greeted. I was however very impressed with the CSM on a ABZ flight a month or so back, who greeted every person / couple in CE in a warm and genuine manor BY NAME in a 8 row CE cabin with no sign of notes, tablet or ear piece before take-off!
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:00 am

Programs: BA Exec
The recognition “conversation” is a should rather than a must. As has already been mentioned here more than once, it is down to a combination of time permitting, and the individual staff member’s approach. On some flights it’s not really feasible, on others it absolutely is.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:11 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by Bar Operator
The recognition “conversation” is a should rather than a must. As has already been mentioned here more than once, it is down to a combination of time permitting, and the individual staff member’s approach. On some flights it’s not really feasible, on others it absolutely is.
Discretion - which imho is absolutely as it should be and I have no problem with that.... I am merely, like many others on here I suspect, sufficiently nerdy about all aspects of my flying experience that these little details interest me more than is probably sensible ;-)
Old Dec 19, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by Akoz
I was however very impressed with the CSM on a ABZ flight a month or so back, who greeted every person / couple in CE in a warm and genuine manor BY NAME in a 8 row CE cabin with no sign of notes, tablet or ear piece before take-off!
I also saw the same earlier in the year, and I'm fairly certain it was an ABZ to LHR run.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 4:49 pm

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
On a flight LHR-ZAG a couple of weeks ago, sitting in ET, I was greeted by name (unexpectedly) by the purser and offered a drink. I asked for a coffee, and it duly came in a china mug. Unexpected treat - and purser perhaps being the operative word. The flight was crewed by Euro Fleet, and they are perhaps a bit more 'old school' about this sort of thing. No such luck on the way back anyway, which seemed to be operated by MF. (Not complaining about that!)
Old Dec 19, 2018, 7:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Never really happens to me...even with a chatty crew they don't seem to care if you are gold or blue or non status holder...chat to them they will chat back, but when I think about apart from maybe twice no one says a gold card holder...and let me get you a drink!! Oh well...
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:19 am

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite

I recall this on a RAK-LGW service where my dad and I had swapped seats so he could have the window. When the crew offered the Gold greeting and spoke to him by his name (Mr K..) he was genuinely puzzled as to that was going on. He doesn’t fly often enough to know what a Gold card etc is. I didn’t tell him, just let him think it was a particularly personal greeting!
RobDBA and kosy91 like this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 3:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
Being just lowly Silver, I was pleasantly surprised to receive a personal welcome and being addressed by name during the service from GLA to LHR on Christmas Eve. That and the 8 bottles of Castelnau the purser stashed into my handbag!
Old Dec 26, 2018, 3:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (11/Dec/18)
Since hitting Gold I've had... nothing. Admittedly it was two HBO day trips, so probably not the best place to get a greeting.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

On my 8 flights recently EDI-LHR-BCN-LHR-HKG in CE/CW return, I got a greeting once ( on the CE LHR-BCN leg) and nothing on the CW legs ( A380 though)

Regards

TBS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.