Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Does anybody actually enjoy breakfast at T5 First?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2014, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC

Why are the scrambled eggs so bad? (Compared with the Arrivals lounge, for example, where it is fine). Why no boiled eggs?

Why no warm croissants? (Galleries has them)

For those that want something other than a greasy, porky fry-up, where do you go, what do you eat?
Old May 25, 2014, 12:04 pm

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I quite like the egg benedict.
Old May 25, 2014, 12:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I agree about the eggs - I assumed they were the result of a failed chemistry experiment. Glad to see the potato rosti has made it across from Arrivals lounge though.
Old May 25, 2014, 12:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M
Egg Benedict are actually quite good. I stopped eating scrambled eggs there after a couple of attempts (maybe they looks like scrambled eggs, but they certainly don't taste like), so I just stick to Egg Benedict, to which I add Hash Browns etc.
Re croissants - I've had worse croissants in my life, but they were pre-packed and of Russian origin.
Nice to hear Galleries Club still has edible croissants. Maybe I'll go there instead of GF next time.
Old May 25, 2014, 1:10 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Had breakfast in GF for the first time last week (thanks to the lounge meet up thread!) and found it a huge improvement over GC. Boiled egg and soldiers was lovely (although admittedly that's hard to get wrong).
Old May 25, 2014, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
I quite like breakfast in T5F but then again I stay clear of the buffet and have made-to-order eggs instead. Three sunny side up eggs and dry brown toast, washed down with some champers (following a trip to the "farting showers") is a good way to start feeling better after an overnight flight from the States.
Old May 25, 2014, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I'm a fan of the eggs Benedict. I usually ask for two, and politely request that the muffins are well toasted (so not soggy). The hollandaise sauce usually needs a bit of salt and pepper. After that a bowl of orange and grapefruit wedges. And of course a cold glass of Taittinger or two if I don't need to be on top mental form.
Old May 25, 2014, 1:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Love it.....only wish I could go every week.

Old May 25, 2014, 1:57 pm

Programs: BA Silver; VS Gold; HHonors Diamond; Amex Centurion; IHG Platinum; Club Accor Platinum; TfL Oyster.
Originally Posted by HIDDY

Damn! That looks good!
Old May 25, 2014, 2:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum

I must say as a fan of Eggs Benedict, I don't like the GF version one little bit. The Hollandaise sauce is a mass-produced monstrosity and the eggs bear no relation to proper cooked in a pan of boiling water poached eggs. The muffin is OK (but that is bought in).

This is supposed to be a proper catering operation! Even the most junior chef can knock up a Hollandaise sauce from scratch and poach a egg. With proper prep, it would take 5 minutes to do this to order, yet the GF uses ready-made sauce and pre-poached eggs?
Old May 25, 2014, 2:48 pm

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci

+1 - yum! Yum!
Old May 25, 2014, 3:20 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by varkey
Why are the scrambled eggs so bad? (Compared with the Arrivals lounge, for example, where it is fine). Why no boiled eggs?
I'm sure you can have boiled eggs to order, since it's possible to order poached eggs. I suspect they don't put boiled eggs on the buffet because it all goes hard-boiled (or cold) if it's left on the buffet?
Old May 25, 2014, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Kippers. They aren't amazing in GF but far nicer than any nasty egg dishes.
Old May 25, 2014, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Agreed, it's been a while since I have travelled in the morning and the last time I was short of time so decided to pop into galleries north for a bacon roll instead but when I've travelled in the morning the breakfast was very good. So much so that I'd be happy to skip the hotel breakfast and eat there.

The black pudding has always been nice and moist when I've had it, the bacon, sausage and hash brown has always been good.

Don't want much more than that!

Of course, like many places in the UK, the breakfast is more limited if you don't like pig products (or can't have them for religious reasons).

However, I agree with HIDDY (comments in another thread), most people don't eat a full English/Scottish/Welsh/Irish (all similar but have their differences that I appreciate when I have them) breakfast every day, cereal would be more common. So it's a nice treat when you get a good traditional breakfast.

But a poor quality cooked breakfast would be better replaced by some fruit and cereals. Fortunately I've been happy with the BA offering.

I must admit though, I've not tried the scrambled eggs. I've had dodgy scrambled eggs in many places I normally avoid it unless I'm struggling to find something I'd like.
Old May 25, 2014, 4:36 pm

Odd. It's been fine at T3 Flounge whenever I've been there. I can even taste that they're cooked with butter!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.