Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LCY - Will There Ever Be A BA Lounge

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2014, 11:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Forget the lounge. I would prefer FastTrack security for business and elite passengers. After all, that is what LCY is all about!
Old May 24, 2014, 12:09 pm

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Unlikely. Even with the planned expansion, there will be minimal terminal room.

LCY is designed as an in-out airport as opposed to Heathrow where you hang around.

One gate of LCY can be best described as a lounge - and that for two flights a day only (Gate 24 - BA1/3 departures).

Fast Track Security, and better speed is the name of the game here (Although if you look behind the scenes of that airport - you'll find they're doing there best, even with a fleet of three buses - see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...y-airport.html for my take).
Old May 24, 2014, 12:34 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Originally Posted by jacobitetraveller
totally disagree with a lounge for CE passengers only
and I am sure BA would agree with this

a £10 voucher for CE business uk SCH and GCH I think is a fair request
I agree with this - particularly when one considers that a lot of the seating is for the private eating establishments. I've found a lack of seating in the communal areas, but loads free in the bars/restaurants, if only wanted to actually by something.
Old May 24, 2014, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by jbfield
I agree with this - particularly when one considers that a lot of the seating is for the private eating establishments. I've found a lack of seating in the communal areas, but loads free in the bars/restaurants, if only wanted to actually by something.
Perhaps LCY is like some rail stations where I've seen signs saying certain seating areas are open to all even though they look like they're part of a catering establishment.
Old May 24, 2014, 2:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold; HHonors Gold
I dislike the lack of lounge and cramped conditions of LCY so much that although I always fly from ABZ to LCY, I always fly back from LHR. Have shower, dinner and arrive home feeling refreshed. I know others who do as feel.
Old May 24, 2014, 2:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
LCY - Will There Ever Be A BA Lounge

And I am sure it costs BA money when people also use an alternative carrier.
Old May 24, 2014, 4:26 pm

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
My mind may be playing tricks on me here, but didn't BA have a lounge at LCY about ten years ago, down to the west side of the departure lounge where a bar and tables area since sprung up about six years or so ago? Sorry, all this may well have changed again since, I haven't used LCY for several years, but did commute to EDI from there back in the late '90s and early noughties, although that route was only run by ScotAir when BA came along to the party after KLM UK keeled over.

At one time, AirUK (latterly KLM UK, then Buzz, then flyBE... then who knows?) had a lounge landside on the first floor that consisted of a few chairs in an office. Needless to say, its lack of amenities and being landside meant it didn't get used. I think that's the only other lounge that's ever been at LCY.
Old May 24, 2014, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Howard Long
At one time, AirUK (latterly KLM UK, then Buzz, then flyBE... then who knows?) had a lounge landside on the first floor that consisted of a few chairs in an office.
Indeed, and you had to phone your drinks order and somebody from the bar would bring it along.
Old May 24, 2014, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FrancisA
And I am sure it costs BA money when people also use an alternative carrier.
... and other carriers at LCY do not offer a lounge either. The whole point of LCY is that you do not linger. If you are the kind of person who loves to turn at the airport 2 hours early to have a drink or two in the lounge, you simply do not correspond to the LCY customer profile and you should instead fly from LHR.
Old May 24, 2014, 5:50 pm

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D201 Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by Abz0620
I dislike the lack of lounge and cramped conditions of LCY so much that although I always fly from ABZ to LCY, I always fly back from LHR. Have shower, dinner and arrive home feeling refreshed. I know others who do as feel.
I must admit I don't know anyone (including myself) who has a shower before flying short-haul point-to-point from London.

Count me amongst the regular LCY users who see no need for a lounge. The only time I ever sit down there is during a delay.

I presume when the new terminal is completed they might have space for a lounge, but with so many eligible passengers, it would most likely be even more crowded than the terminal.
Old May 24, 2014, 9:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by jacobitetraveller
totally disagree with a lounge for CE passengers only
and I am sure BA would agree with this

a £10 voucher for CE business uk SCH and GCH I think is a fair request
If space is limited so a lounge for CE and status passengers is not feasible, why not have a dedicated CE lounge? CE passengers ex-LCY get a pretty poor deal as it is with no difference at all in seating on plane.

Most posters seem to want LCY to be a fast turn up and go airport, so lack of lounge access is inconsequential to them. However, for those of us who cannot reliably time their journey so they get there at the last minute (without a high risk of missing the flight), a lounge would make CE from LCY more palatable.
Old May 25, 2014, 5:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D201 Safari/9537.53)

Count me amongst the regular LCY users who see no need for a lounge. The only time I ever sit down there is during a delay.
Absolutely agree.

The only reason to have a lounge is to massage ego. I can hardly even remember having to sit in the airport. It is a bit frustrating when there is a delay but do I really need breakfast or champagne when the flights are so early anyhow.

They should also get rid of fast track at the gate a complete waste of time, given the close proximity of the gates and number of people. I would prefer fast track security.

Last edited by carat22; May 25, 2014 at 6:23 am
Old May 25, 2014, 8:56 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Francis A. You could get the situation where somebody on an Avios redemption having done their shopping in Tesco and brings no revenue to the airline admitted to the CE lounge and somebody spending £500 a week on domestic shuttle flights and is Gold not being admitted.

It is easy to time your arrival to LCY, particularly if using the DLR / Jubilee line.

Again, LCY is great because you don't have to waste your life in a glorified waiting room because you really don't have to worry about the M25' car parks, shuttle busses.
Old May 25, 2014, 9:24 am

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
Originally Posted by FrancisA
If space is limited so a lounge for CE and status passengers is not feasible, why not have a dedicated CE lounge? CE passengers ex-LCY get a pretty poor deal as it is with no difference at all in seating on plane.

Most posters seem to want LCY to be a fast turn up and go airport, so lack of lounge access is inconsequential to them. However, for those of us who cannot reliably time their journey so they get there at the last minute (without a high risk of missing the flight), a lounge would make CE from LCY more palatable.
I would respectfully say that LCY is not for you and I would suggest you try to take your flights from LHR or LGW

It appears that lounge access is very important to you but to suggest a lounge for CE pax But not for GCH travelling ET makes no sense to me at all

I accept there is no lounge at LCY but use it for the convenience but would be rather annoyed if CE pax were allowed to access to a lounge but I wasn't
Old May 25, 2014, 9:44 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Silver, Thameslink Delay Repay
I agree that a lounge at LCY would be a rather pointless affair - it'd be easier to just have a small dedicated area for the handful of non-entitled passengers (make them wait on the tarmac? ) I'd quite like some nicer food outlets though for those rare early arrivals.

That said I rarely depart from LCY (as I usually fly out of London on Friday evenings after work which is convenient for LHR) but try to arrive there instead of LHR whenever I can because ten minutes from touchdown to DLR is just the best thing in travel ever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.