Wiki Posts
Search

BA system blocks my credit card

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2014, 12:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI
BA system -indirectly - blocks my credit card

Has the following happened to others here? If so, do you feel that BA has the right to do such things without informing passengers? I quote below the complaint I have just sent to BAEC:

"At 8.40am on June 10, 2014, I executed online check-in as I have done many times before, without incident, and printed my boarding pass as usual. Not more than 2 minutes later I received an SMS from my credit card provider to advise me that USD1 had been deducted from my account by British Airways. Not understanding that this was a type of credit check performed by BA, I contacted the credit card company, who immediately blocked the card. They have said they will issue a new one, but of course this means that I shall not have access to it during my forthcoming trip back home to the UK.

I have to advise you that I am gobsmacked, and I use the word advisedly, that BA permits itself to deduct even ONE DOLLAR from passengers' accounts without foundation, and without advising the passenger that this may be done for security purposes. It is possible that I may be able to get the card unblocked before travelling tomorrow morning - but it is equally likely that I will not. In which case, I do hold the airline responsible for considerable inconvenience. Please treat this matter with utmost urgency."

Last edited by mtdd; Jun 10, 2014 at 12:55 am Reason: Clarification
Old Jun 10, 2014, 1:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
Sorry, I don't understand.

Why is your card blocked & unusable, because of a 1 dollar charge?

Surely the problem is with your provider not BA?

Or am I missing something obvious
Old Jun 10, 2014, 1:13 am
Original Poster

Well, unbeknown to me, and without my permission, BA deducts $1 from my credit card, presumably as part of the process of online check-in. I spoke later to my local BA office, and they airily said "oh yes that's perfectly routine, and we give you the dollar back, later. It's just to check the credit card". So...

1. This has never happened to me before in years of online booking and check-in.
2. BA does not inform you that such a deduction will be made.
3. When I learned from my CC provider (who routinely SMS's me whenever a charge is made) that this had been done, I immediately called them to ask the nature of the charge. I feared some sort of scam. When I told them I had not authorised the deduction, they treated it as a fraudulent transaction and blocked the card.

I have no issue with the provider: they were protecting my interests. No matter that the unauthorised deduction was for only a dollar, for all I knew I had been on a spoof website, and $1 might grow into something further down the line if I had not contacted the CC company.

I do have an issue with BA. I do not consider they have the right to make any charge on a credit card that has not been authorised by the holder. And I repeat, it is not for a dollar that I am infuriated. I would also mention in passing that the ticket had been fully paid for a month prior to travel, so BA had its money, and had no further need to make a credit check. I am also a silver tier member, and they have all my personal information.

Probably I will be able to get the card unblocked before I travel tomorrow morning. If not, I am going to face quite some difficulties.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 1:16 am

This seems odd. Surely BA will have already charged the credit card and received an authorisation code. Taking a further dollar, even to be refunded, doesn't make sense.

In any event, if they are going to do this, they should let the customer know in advance in my opinion.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 1:18 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Originally Posted by DorsetKnob
Sorry, I don't understand.

Why is your card blocked & unusable, because of a 1 dollar charge?

Surely the problem is with your provider not BA?

Or am I missing something obvious
^

That is how I read it as well. Sure strange BA would do the 1 dollar charge but it is not unheard of to veryfy cards The you called your credit card company who were overly cautious and not very well informed so they just canceled the card assuming fraud. BA did not do that making the tread misleading at least.

I would have called BA to ask the question.

Globalist
Old Jun 10, 2014, 1:19 am
Original Poster

That is precisely my point, it doesn't make sense, and this why I - and my credit card provider - initially feared some kind of scam.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 1:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globalist
^

That is how I read it as well. Sure strange BA would do the 1 dollar charge but it is not unheard of to veryfy cards The you called your credit card company who were overly cautious and not very well informed so they just canceled the card assuming fraud. BA did not do that making the tread misleading at least.

Globalist
Why would a credit card company be deemed to be informed of a BA practise? I myself was not informed, and I have been flying with BA for decades, it is the first time it has happened to me. And it is the job of a credit card company to be cautious: if the customer tells them that they did not authorise a given transaction, it is their legal duty to assume fraud, irritating as that may be.

As for calling BA - good luck with that one, when the episode happens more than hour before they put a human being on their phone lines. It makes more sense to call the credit card company, no?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 1:36 am

^

Globalist
But don't you think BA had a duty to inform their customer they would be charging a dollar to their card (and later refunding it)?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 1:41 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Virgin Flying Club Red, Swiss M&M Blue
Originally Posted by mtdd
Why would a credit card company be deemed to be informed of a BA practise? I myself was not informed, and I have been flying with BA for decades, it is the first time it has happened to me. And it is the job of a credit card company to be cautious: if the customer tells them that they did not authorise a given transaction, it is their legal duty to assume fraud, irritating as that may be.

As for calling BA - good luck with that one, when the episode happens more than hour before they put a human being on their phone lines. It makes more sense to call the credit card company, no?
You say you weren't infomred.

Just wondering if you actually read all of the Ts and Cs when you made the booking? I know I don't.

Taking a nominal payment for verification is a very common practice and usually disclosed in the Ts and Cs that everyone signs the box to say they have read and understood but rarely have or do.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 1:41 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Originally Posted by mtdd

Sure, but it also does not make sense to accuse BA of blocking your card while it was your credit card company doing this after you raised it as an unknown transaction.

I would have expected the credit card company to ask if you did any business with BA at the time of the transaction and to find out what triggered the transaction. (as you said, online check in). As BA is unlikely a company that would use credit card fraud to get money it would be unlikely that this would have been a transaction with fraudulent intentions.

1 dollar transactions are regularly seen for 2 reasons:
Verify the validity of a credit card for legitimate purposes.
Verify the availability of a credit card to subsequently deduct higer amounts usually by fraudulent companies.

Your credit card company should be aware of this and able to make a distinction between the two types.

You can call BA anywhere in the world, there is always a centre open somewhere if it is reallly urgent.

Globalist.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 1:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dobba

Just wondering if you actually read all of the Ts and Cs when you made the booking? I know I don't.

Taking a nominal payment for verification is a very common practice and usually disclosed in the Ts and Cs that everyone signs the box to say they have read and understood but rarely have or do.
Quite so: since I started this thread, I did take the time to search their T&Cs online - and I have been quite unable to find any such reference. Section 5: Booking and payments, makes several references to credit cards, but nothing to cover their right to make deductions in order to check the validity of a card.

But I revert to a previous point - why on earth would they feel a need to check the card, when they had received full payment a good month earlier?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by dobba

And yet, I cannot find such a disclosure:

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...ns-of-carriage

4. Fares, surcharges, taxes, fees and charges and currency
4a) Fares and surcharges
4a1) Your fare covers transporting you from the airport at the place of departure to the airport at the place of destination, unless we say otherwise.

4a2) Your fare does not include ground transport between one airport and another or between an airport and the town terminal.

4a3) We or our authorised agents will work out the fare for your ticket which applies under our tariff on the date you pay for it. The fare will be for travel on the specific dates and itinerary shown on your ticket.

4a4) If you want to change either your itinerary or your dates of travel, this may increase the fare.

4a5) We may charge any surcharge to the fare for your ticket which applies under our tariff on the date you pay for your ticket, for example a fuel or insurance surcharge.

4b) Taxes, fees and charges
4b1) You must pay any taxes, fees and charges imposed on us or on you by governments or other authorities, or by operators of airports.

4b2) When you buy your ticket, we will tell you about any taxes, fees and charges not included in the fare and they will normally be shown separately on the ticket.

4b3) Taxes, fees and charges change constantly and can be imposed or altered after the date we have issued your ticket. If they change or if a new tax, fee or charge is imposed after we have issued your ticket, you will have to pay us any increase. Similarly, if any taxes, fees or charges you pay to us when we issue the ticket are then abolished or reduced, you will be entitled to claim a refund from us. If you are a resident of, and your flight departs from, the Federal Republic of Germany, any increase in taxes, fees or charges will not be applied in the period of 4 months from the date of purchase of the ticket.

4b4) If you do not use your ticket, you will be entitled to claim a refund of any taxes, fees and charges which you paid, less a reasonable service charge.

4c) Currency
You must pay the fare and any taxes, fees and carrier charges in the currency of the country in which the ticket is issued, unless we or our authorised agents say you must use another currency at or before the time you pay. We may decide to accept payment in another currency.

Sure, but it also does not make sense to accuse BA of blocking your card while it was your credit card company doing this after you raised it as an unknown transaction.

I would have expected the credit card company to ask if you did any business with BA at the time of the transaction and to find out what triggered the transaction. (as you said, online check in). As BA is unlikely a company that would use credit card fraud to get money it would be unlikely that this would have been a transaction with fraudulent intentions.

Verify the availability of a credit card to subsequently deduct higer amounts usually by fraudulent companies.

Your credit card company should be aware of this and able to make a distinction between the two types.

You can call BA anywhere in the world, there is always a centre open somewhere if it is reallly urgent.

Globalist.
All this may be so, however it doesn't change the fact that BA should inform their customer beforehand if they are going to charge their card.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 2:02 am

Globalist.
But why does BA need to verify the validity of a credit card when someone does OLCI on a fully-paid booking? As the OP said, the ticket was paid for a month previously. I know that in theory you are supposed to produce the card used to make the booking if you check in in person, but in practice I've never even been asked.
I could understand it if the OP had said he purchased an upgrade or extra baggage, but then there'd be a real charge as well.
If the credit card company ask whether you've had any legitimate financial transactions with BA that day, how many people would regard checking in as a financial transaction?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 2:08 am

I'm with the OP in this one.

Under what circumstances does BA have to remove more money on from this person's account for this booking?

I can't think of any.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 2:11 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Whilst I can't comment on BA $1 charge, United did this when I was making the booking, my bank automatically bounced this back and the purchase failed.

On phoning my bank I was told that they reject all Ł1 'test payments' as a matter of course as they can be a precursor to bank fraud.

As soon as I had phoned them to say that I was making a booking they let the test payment through, but I did have to phone them first.

How on earth does BA charge a card for checking in ? Seems screwy to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.