Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA just cancelled and rebooked domestic connection - now has a 45 minute connection!

BA just cancelled and rebooked domestic connection - now has a 45 minute connection!

Old Jun 8, 2014, 2:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club

Just received an email from BA to say that BA1404 on the 2nd November has been cancelled (9pm) and rebooked us onto the 8:05pm flight.

Our inbound flight from DXB lands at 7:20pm. If the flight is on time it doesn't seem feasible to disembark the plane, get back to T5A, clear immigration and back through Security in that time.

Is this a valid connection they have given us? All on one PNR.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 2:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Is there a reason to look forward to a night at the Sofitel? Sometimes I find that walking quickly after a flight from DXB just doesn't come naturally.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 2:46 am
Original Poster

It's also the last flight of the day to Manchester. If we miss that flight then I have a problem... My kids need to be back at school on Monday morning after the half term.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 2:48 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by oxtailsoup
J
Is this a valid connection they have given us? All on one PNR.
It's not a valid connection, but if it's the last flight of the day - which it now is- I'd almost be tempted to leave it, it is entirely possible to do it if DXB is on time (which admittedly is a gamble) and you are hand luggage. The MCT at T5 is one hour, so I expect that in due course BA will either shift you to another DXB flight, or put you on a MAN flight the next day. But personally I'd hope to get away with your revised timings. Note that any LHR overnighter is probably going to be at your expense since they gave you more than 2 weeks notice.

It's also the last flight of the day to Manchester. If we miss that flight then I have a problem... My kids need to be back at school on Monday morning after the half term.
In which case, you will need to leave DXB on the earlier flight BA108 service and therefore you better call BA for that.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 2:58 am
Original Poster

Must admit I'm really unhappy about this. The early flight from DXB means we miss half a day of our family holiday which is extremely valuable to us.

CWS, we will have checked baggage though I don't care if that doesn't make it to Manchester on time.

We could drive back but again this seems unfair to change our plans in this way.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 3:12 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
We could drive back but again this seems unfair to change our plans in this way.
Well it's not very nice I agree, but it's one of the risks of booking well in advance. Unusually the NCL last flight leaves after Manchester (not LBA unfortunately). Now it is only marginally less of a drive from NCL than LHR (depending where you live in the North West) but that seems to be another option. That gives a comfortable 80 minute connection.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 3:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Well it's not very nice I agree, but it's one of the risks of booking well in advance. Unusually the NCL last flight leaves after Manchester (not LBA unfortunately). Now it is only marginally less of a drive from NCL than LHR (depending where you live in the North West) but that seems to be another option. That gives a comfortable 80 minute connection.
I think the only real option is to rebook on the earlier DXB flight and lose half a days holiday. That's the reality.

The other reason I am really disappointed about this is because I booked early for once to get the best flights and seats. This is quite an expensive revenue booking.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 3:23 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Would BA in DXB even issue an onward BP for a flight that doesn't meet MCT @ LHR ?

cs
Old Jun 8, 2014, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by cornishsimon
Would BA in DXB even issue an onward BP for a flight that doesn't meet MCT @ LHR ?
With bags it would probably be picked up. Without bags you may get away with it, or at least I have.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 3:34 am
Original Poster

As it stands at the moment, and BA leave the changes as they are which we feel do not conform with MCT, what would the situation upon arriving at LHR and not making the connection? Or even not being checked in through to Manchester as CS mentions above. Would BA have to pay compensation?

Yes they have informed.me of the changes, but nowhere have they told me that this change doesn't conform to MCT (yet) which is pretty poor in itself.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 3:41 am

As it stands at the moment, and BA leave the changes as they are which we feel do not conform with MCT, what would the situation upon arriving at LHR and not making the connection? Or even not being checked in through to Manchester as CS mentions above. Would BA have to pay compensation?
If you had checked bags you would be rebooked in DXB to the next day's MAN flight, almost certainly, and offered a hotel. If you were hand luggage only then you may manage the connection, and if not again you'd get the hotel. In theory you would get cash compensation too, but given that the trip is not until November, there's a good chance that the system will rebook you at some point - or the flights get slightly retimed. Hence my original suggestion just to leave it. But with kids going to school I'd probably be somewhat less laid back about it. If they rebook you now then no hotel will be paid for, though legally that is open to challenge, and in any case unnecessary due to the earlier DXB flight.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 3:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If you had checked bags you would be rebooked in DXB to the next day's MAN flight, almost certainly, and offered a hotel. If you were hand luggage only then you may manage the connection, and if not again you'd get the hotel. In theory you would get cash compensation too, but given that the trip is not until November, there's a good chance that the system will rebook you at some point - or the flights get slightly retimed. Hence my original suggestion just to leave it. But with kids going to school I'd probably be somewhat less laid back about it. If they rebook you now then no hotel will be paid for, though legally that is open to challenge, and in any case unnecessary due to the earlier DXB flight.
Thanks CWS.

So currently on MMB I have an option to Accept their rebooked changes or to choose alternative flights. If I accept I assume it is still BA responsibility to connect me to that flight... Ie they can't turn around afterwards and say it was my fault for accepting such a short connection time and thus no compensation/assistance?
Old Jun 8, 2014, 3:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
With flights so far off BA might reschedule the DXB to slightly earlier so give it a while before making any decisions.
cs
Old Jun 8, 2014, 3:54 am

So currently on MMB I have an option to Accept their rebooked changes or to choose alternative flights. If I accept I assume it is still BA responsibility to connect me to that flight... Ie they can't turn around afterwards and say it was my fault for accepting such a short connection time and thus no compensation/assistance?
Yes, if you accept then it remains BA's job to fulfill their proposal. But I think that's theoretical, I suspect at some point you will be rebooked again.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 3:57 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Yes they have informed.me of the changes, but nowhere have they told me that this change doesn't conform to MCT (yet) which is pretty poor in itself.
Maybe leave it until < 2 weeks before departure, and then bring it up? They may put you on one of the direct EK flights

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.