Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Joker use - different return flights

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2014, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
Joker use - different return flights

I'm in pre planning mode for a potential long-haul avios rewards trip for 4 people.
I would be grateful for some help figuring out whether 2 of the party (eg. My parents) could fly back on a different flight relatively avios-efficiently.

Option 1: We all fly together both ways. I attain GGL, and joker-up the 4 reward seats in each direction. Travelling in CW this would cost ... a 2f1 & 100k avios for me & MrsFish plus a GUF2 and 2x75k avios for my parents, plus £550x4 tf&c .
I assume its feasible to apply the GUF2 in this way?

The problem is, my parents may want to stay a little longer (not constrained by vacation days ).
I am really struggling to come up with an option with them returning later, that doesn't scupper grabbing the 4 reward seats on the outbound.

Option 2 - Is this allowed under BAEC rules (or any ideas for a solution)?
Book all four of us in CW on the outbound (using the joker to get availibility).
At the same time book the returns, as all 4 on the same date.
Pay ... a 2f1 & 100k avios plus 2x100k avios plus £550x4
Then
if/when regular rewards available ..
split the above PNR, and change my parents return dates.

I'm unsure whether this Option 2 is feasible.
I'd resign myself to the extra 50k avios cost and not using the GUF2 (as it complicates the field).
I'd resign myself to the risk of not finding the 2 CW reward seats.

Thoughts? Experiences?
Old May 22, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: GGLfL
It is strictly not permitted to split a Joker booking. They used to allow it, but after a lot of abuse, it was stopped.
Old May 22, 2014, 1:33 pm

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
Whilst we have no idea of your time scales, Silver to GGL is one hell of a leap, but guess you have a lot of travel coming up or some significant TP runs?
Old May 23, 2014, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Thanks both.

Looks like it would be a simple 4 out & 4 back on the same flights then, good to know that limitation before any 'offer' made to my folks .

Sadly, I'll have a fair bit of extra travel over the next two or three years. Not sure how much will be directed to OneWorld, but certainly enough to push my first choice for leisure flights to North America onto the Babybus. As such 3,000 tier points highly likely to be attainable twice (though still mulling over whether BA Gold plus better VS status might cover more bases).
Old May 23, 2014, 6:43 am

Programs: BA GGLfL
Alternatively separate the bookings and use both jokers you get as a GGL
Old May 23, 2014, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Aha @:-). Good point.
I'd kind of subconsciously reserved one Joker for a trip like EZE or SYD with MrsFish, but now I think about it I wouldn't have the time for such an additional trip that year.
So, indeed your suggestion would not only work, it may well not 'waste' the 2nd Joker anyhow.
Old May 23, 2014, 8:00 am

That's seriously long term planning - I tip my hat to you.

I've only just got into the habit of booking anything more than a few weeks out!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.