Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR Terminal 5 passageways - a pictorial guide for departing passengers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR Terminal 5 passageways - a pictorial guide for departing passengers

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
we love the walkways down there. So relaxing before a long flight, But I still wish the STAFF ONLY signs were on the elevator. Though, its still surprisingly quiet down there, when we have been there.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:08 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by flyingbee
. At a reasonably brisk walking pace (including using the moving walkways to walk along), is it quicker to walk than take a train that's about to depart?
The timings are at the top of the thread, but in essence the way I would put it is that T5B you may as well always walk, T5C on average it is quicker to take the transit over a lot of data points, but on any one data point walking always takes what it takes, the transit could turn up immediately or there could be some slow-down - which incidentally is poorly / not explained at the time - so often the transit will win but there is a greater variability in outcomes.
flyingbee likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by muscat
Definitely not nine years old. The “rubber” flooring was laid over the concrete no more than, I’ll guess, six years ago. (Found an old post and I’ll go for 2014)
I’ve just checked my flight records and I definitely walked 5C to 5B in 2012. The JFK flight I was booked on from C went tech and I was rebooked on a flight from B and walked back through the tunnel. There were no moving walkways then and it wasn’t signposted but they definitely existed and I suspect they have existed ever since the terminals opened.

Last edited by BerksFlyer; Dec 10, 2018 at 10:48 pm
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by BerksFlyer
There were no walkways then and it wasn’t signposted but they definitely existed and I suspect they have existed ever since the terminals opened.
I also think that the tunnels have always been there. I think I walked from T5B back to T5A once when an aircraft went tech and we had to wait a few hours for a replacement aircraft. We were instructed by the T5B lounge to use the tunnel for getting back to the CCR, and I think that this pre-dated their being tarted up as a formally signposted route.

It would make sense, because there ought always have been a ready contingency route in case the transit broke down.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: BA Silver
Something interesting happened to me today: had a two hours connection coming in from ARN and leaving to BOS. The usual plan was to cross the UK broader and enter GF through the First Wing. But then the ARN flight ended up parking in T5B and my connecting flight was already showing as B Gates so breezed through T5B-T5B(C) security (which was literals empty) and walked to GF in no time, thanks to the passageway (which seemed under construction BTW).

Brilliant
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Silver
I noticed something interesting today. At the start of the departure-side walkway in T5A, there are some monitors above where the moving walkway starts. Those monitors seem to show the same information you would see at the T5B/T5C Flight Connections area (e.g. "Go to B Gates").

At 13:00 or so, the monitors in the main terminal level (in both T5A and T5B) showed my 16:00 flight to Philadelphia as "Gate shown at 14:45". However, the monitors at the start of the walkway said "Go to B Gates". That confirmed what I already suspected, which is why I was on my way to the T5B lounge.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Silver
Please could someone verify that the walkway access is still the same as it has always been? I will be getting to Heathrow quite a few hours before my flight tomorrow evening; I am
planning on going to the T5B lounge, even though my flight will most probably be from T5A.

I have done the walkway back a few times, but not for a few years... so please could someone confirm it’s still the same as ever!
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:18 pm

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Flying Chimp
Please could someone verify that the walkway access is still the same as it has always been? I will be getting to Heathrow quite a few hours before my flight tomorrow evening; I am
planning on going to the T5B lounge, even though my flight will most probably be from T5A.

I have done the walkway back a few times, but not for a few years... so please could someone confirm it’s still the same as ever!
Hasn't changed
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:28 pm

I find the walk a bit too long but it's a good way to stretch the legs after being on a long haul flight
Old Apr 20, 2019, 2:30 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
A great help!

Thanks CWS. This was a great help recently. My wife departed from C gates we went via B gate lounge and then I had to get back to A for my flight. Would have been lost without it. Was good fun exploring!
Old Jul 1, 2019, 6:43 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Many thanks to CWS for this; I finally made the ride down to -4 (a puzzled employee at -2 wanted to make sure I was really continuing down) and the walk to T5B. Now to try the other way around when I next arrive at LHR. It's pretty easy with a bag on wheels.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 11:43 am

the walkway saved me a missed flight! Inbound from IAD and connecting to domestic. Arrived T5B. Transit 'chaos' with platform mobbed, people trapped on a broken down transit vehicle etc etc. Took the stairway down to tunnel and literally ran along. Surprisingly noone else aware or followed!
Old Aug 3, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA Gold
I used the passageway a few weeks ago. It was kind of eerie being down there basically by myself as I only saw two workers during the entire walk.

Old Aug 3, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by phenombr
I used the passageway a few weeks ago. It was kind of eerie being down there basically by myself as I only saw two workers during the entire walk.
That's the great thing about them, it's rather relaxing.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
I do enjoy my walks in the tunnels, and you get the knowing look from the occasional other traveller you see down there, I am guessing there is a high probability that the folks one sees down there also came from here!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.