Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR Terminal 5 passageways - a pictorial guide for departing passengers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR Terminal 5 passageways - a pictorial guide for departing passengers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Got into the lift this morning and someone had already pushed the button for the tunnels so I just went with it. I fear it was a shock for the other who entered the lift afterwards though, as none of them pushed for the regular stop. There were a lot of confused people who ended up in the tunnels without expecting it. I'm afraid I did a runner at that point and didn't hang around to see the results.

Love the tunnels though - I was a couple of mins ahead of others I recognised from my flight at passport control.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:59 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by patersoj
There were a lot of confused people who ended up in the tunnels without expecting it. I'm afraid I did a runner at that point and didn't hang around to see the results.
Why didn't you say something? Just direct them to go back up a level.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by golfmad
Or point out they can take the lift up for the train but for anyone with a decent walking pace it'll probably be quicker in the tunnels
Old Apr 24, 2017, 4:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I missed the train from the C gates earlier due to Mrs Lightning McQueen in front of me.
Walked it using the tunnels and then used the lift rather than the escalators and easily beat everyone else.
The lift up to passport control / flight connections really does save time (or possibly because it was on -2 and not at the furthest away point as with every single lift at LHR)
Old Apr 24, 2017, 11:22 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by golfmad
I was first out of the lift and was off and moving - only saw them when I was overtaken (presumably by the button pusher) looked back and saw them.
I'm sure they worked it out in the end.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 6:37 am

Great thread - very helpful

Quick couple of questions - arriving from Belfast ( T5 ) hopefully 16.40 HKG flight 18.25 am i right in saying i dont have to clear security again in T5

Then on return from HKG 04.45 Belfast flight 06.20 again do have to clear just immigration ?
Old Aug 27, 2017, 6:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by van helsing
Great thread - very helpful

Quick couple of questions - arriving from Belfast ( T5 ) hopefully 16.40 HKG flight 18.25 am i right in saying i dont have to clear security again in T5

Then on return from HKG 04.45 Belfast flight 06.20 again do have to clear just immigration ?
Correct on the first point on the way out. A quick scan at Domestic Connections (to get you on to T5's Ready to Fly computer system) and you're through to the airside areas without security. There may be a bit of a queue at that scan point but you should be through in a few minutes, there is a bit of a case for getting off the aircraft quickly.

On the return there is both the UK Border Flight Connections and then Security. If your aircraft arrives a bit early, use the passageways (see Dashboard) and meander slowly, since they don't open UK Border Flight Connections until 05:00 hrs.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 8:09 am

Thanks corporate-wage-slave - just trying to work out landside / airside on the return my head is pickled lol
Old Aug 27, 2017, 9:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by van helsing
Thanks corporate-wage-slave - just trying to work out landside / airside on the return my head is pickled lol
Lots of information in the connections guide as well.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:31 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Did the walk out to C last week and was struck by how dated some of the photo murals are looking already.

Looked scruffier than I remembered too, many areas where the flooring is lifting and bubbling up.

Hope someone kept the receipt.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:08 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Did the walk out to C last week and was struck by how dated some of the photo murals are looking already.

Looked scruffier than I remembered too, many areas where the flooring is lifting and bubbling up.

On my last visit down the tunnels in late August I observed a number of people looking at some of the areas were the flooring was deteriorating. There was a tape measure and some note taking. I would like to think they were looking at replacing the flooring, although possibly just patching up.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer

Hey, it's at least 9 years old, and it's got a lot of foot traffic since @corporate-wage-slave posted the directions in 2014
Old Nov 4, 2017, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by deeruck
Hey, it's at least 9 years old, and it's got a lot of foot traffic since @corporate-wage-slave posted the directions in 2014
Definitely not nine years old. The “rubber” flooring was laid over the concrete no more than, I’ll guess, six years ago. (Found an old post and I’ll go for 2014)
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:38 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Had another wander along departure passageway last week and noticed that the white vertical fins along the walls had all been rotated so that they were neatly lined up paralllel to the wall.

Which IMHO is a pity since I rather enjoyed the effect of random orientations and I would move a couple every time I passed through to renew the artistic effect.

No reason to change the habit this time.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: MUCCI Classe des Flatteurs Preferes, LH SEN, BA silver, IHG Plat Amb, Accor Plat
Recently I arrived off a flight into 5C and as I arrived at the train level there was a train about to depart. Rather than jump on the train I preferred to walk through the tunnels - I love the quiet solitude after a long haul flight. At a reasonably brisk walking pace (including using the moving walkways to walk along), is it quicker to walk than take a train that's about to depart?

The previous time I did it I was getting off a HKG flight which was one of the first flights to land in the morning and in that case I was definitely quicker than the train (arrived at an empty passport control) but I've no idea how long the other passengers had to wait for a train in that case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.