Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR Terminal 5 passageways - a pictorial guide for departing passengers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR Terminal 5 passageways - a pictorial guide for departing passengers

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2016, 8:04 am

Programs: BAEC, IHG, LeClub, HHonors
It still amazes how quiet it is down there. We walked to the B Gates on Saturday and saw no one else at all. Walked from C Gates today with another 6 or so people and it was good to blow the cobwebs off after an overnight flight from JFK.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 8:46 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by EDI_Martin
It still amazes how quiet it is down there. We walked to the B Gates on Saturday and saw no one else at all. Walked from C Gates today with another 6 or so people and it was good to blow the cobwebs off after an overnight flight from JFK.
I always find descending from the teaming masses on the transit platform to the zen calm of the tunnel very satisfying.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 8:04 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Sigwx
If I park up one of our birds on T5C, walk with the crew to the shuttle only to find it is just pulling out of the station I always take the walkway. I am always first to the reclaim hall when the remainder of the crew stay for the shuttle. #sigwxtoptip ^

P.s. I believe this is how to correctly use a hashtag to end a statement, but I will run it past my teenager for confirmation.
Yep, you've done well there Sigwx, both with the tip and the #sigwxtoptip.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 5:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
On an A380 arriving at T5C seemed to me to be a great opportunity to try this. Unfortunately, Mrs. G didn't agree with this idea - somewhere just short of T5B. Luckily, a trolley offered us a ride to T5A, making this probably faster than the transit due to the queues at the boarding end.

A month later on a solo IAD->LHR->DUB trip I did the walk. I recommend it if you're not in a huge rush (and if, like me, you're competing with your kids on Fitbit.)
Old Aug 16, 2016, 5:32 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by gormless
I recommend it if you're not in a huge rush (and if, like me, you're competing with your kids on Fitbit.)
It's a great opportunity for a leg stretch after a flight. I don't even bother with the moving walkways. Got to get the step count up
Old Nov 17, 2016, 8:57 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
T5 Walkway

Who uses the T5 underground walkway to satellite Terminals B and C? I decided to try it out and go to -4 for a change.
It was COMPLETELY EMPTY, so I enjoyed the walk. Does it save time though?
I mean it is a long walk = )
Old Nov 17, 2016, 8:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
It's a nice walk. Nicer because there are no other people.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 9:00 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
I prefer it for stretching my legs! From B to A gates is quicker as the moving walkways assist.

It is at least as quick. Sometimes quicker.

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
I usually find it roughly equal to the train - usually I spot people from my flight getting off the train as I arrive at A.

Maybe a little slower from C vs. B.

Coming back from STR a couple of months ago half the plane followed me to -4 though.
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Who uses the T5 underground walkway to satellite Terminals B and C? I decided to try it out and go to -4 for a change.
It was COMPLETELY EMPTY, so I enjoyed the walk. Does it save time though?
I mean it is a long walk = )
I used it on arrival last week, from T5C. Took me 8 minutes to get from the top of the stairs by the monorail to the Oyster-esque UKBA machines (and I wasn't hurrying). I saw 3 members of staff and no-one else. It was bliss, and I especially enjoyed not having to suffer the dreary announcer voice.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 9:01 am

Programs: Some
I used it about 10 minutes ago, the solitude is pleasant given the rest of T5! I think I've walked past at most two people ever .
Old Nov 17, 2016, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I like to use it on arrivals at B gates, it's nice to have a stretch after a long flight.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 9:08 am

In terms of speed of using the tunnels v train.

I tend to operate on these rules:

If a train has just departed or there's only a small group of people waiting - use the tunnel
If there's a large group or there's a train that's just arrived being security checked or whatever - use the train.

The big benefit (for me) of using it when you arrive is that the lifts at the end of the tunnel take you past the queue into passport control and to the tensa barriers.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 9:16 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Who uses the T5 underground walkway
In fact, the 'secret' T5 walkway is so popular with FT members that it has its own special thread.

Along various sections of the walkway are arrays of vertical metal fins. Each time I take a walk down I rotate a fin (they can be a bit stiff), and next time go down I move the next one. There's a nice metal wave pattern forming now.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 10:01 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, AS Gold MVP, IC RA, IHG Spire Elite, HH Diamond, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
I find the obsession on FT with these walkways fascinating. I have used them once, just for the sheer novelty of it. It's really only faster to walk if the train is somehow backed up or is having problems. Even if I was coming down the escalators/lift and the train is just pulling out of the station, I'd still wait for the next train, unless I really, really needed to rush to my gate.

The T5 trains are lambasted on here, but they're really not that bad, are pretty reliable, and aren't as slow as walking the tunnels. The tunnels are a neat fall-back option, but the way they're treated as some kind of T5 cheat-code that magically short-cuts your trip is wide of the mark.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.