Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Avios booking appears as hand-baggage only fare on US Air?

Old May 18, 2014, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

I am traveling tomorrow on a USAir domestic flight in the States. This is an Avios booking, and I am a Gold member. When I tried to check in, the system showed that I had no baggage allowance. In looking further at the ticket confirmation that was emailed to me, it does state that it is a hand-baggage only fare. I do not recall this being disclosed at any time in the booking process. I logged into the BA website and made a dummy booking. Hand-baggage only fare is not listed as an option when selecting my flight. On the itinerary and quote page the following, very confusingly, does appear:

Your baggage allowance
Free checked baggage per person
Hand baggage only fare. No checked baggage allowance.

For flights on British Airways, there are restrictions on what you can pack, how heavy your bags can be and on the dimensions of your bags. You may be charged for any overweight or extra bags.

BAEC is now closed in the U.S. Has anyone else run into this problem and any suggestions on how to solve it? I will have limited time in the morning to call.
Old May 18, 2014, 6:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The US baggage alllowance for domestic US flights is zero bags

The excess fees for 1st 3 bags will be waived by US ( see http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave...epolicies.html ) as a OW Emerald member
Old May 18, 2014, 6:58 pm

Programs: BA/BD Gold, UA Silver
I just had this exact experience last weekend flying on an Avios-booked US Airways flight. On the outbound flight (which I had paid for on their website like any normal one-way booking) I was offered free baggage allowance as a Oneworld elite. However, on my return flight (which I had ticketed using Avios) I was offered no free baggage allowance. Luckily, the agent looked at my boarding pass (Which showed my status) and manually waived the checked bag fee.

I thought it was very odd.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 5:52 am

Wondering what's happening if I book YYZ-JFK on avios, as a positioning flight to a JFK-LHR on a BA revenue ticket.
If I show my e-ticket confirmation/boarding pass to LHR upon checking in at YYZ, do I get luggage check for free to LHR, since this would be an international journey?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.