Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

WT+ to Club Word Upgrade with Miles - Strategies for flight tomorrow?

Old May 18, 14, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA-G, LH SEN

Hi,

I have a WT+ seat on the LHR-SAN BA 273. I've called a few times in the past week or so, and again this morning (T-30 hours approx.) to see if there are any upgrade seats, with Avios, on the flight. So far zero.

The flight shows J8 C3 W2 E2 T2 Y7 B4 H1 K1 M1 L1 G0 on EF right now, with 15 unallocated seats in Club World on the seat map.

What are the chances of an upgrade seat being released before departure?

Does BA, like other airlines, release upgrade/award inventory at T-24? If so, how many seats? I'm looking for just one, but I might not be able to call at T-23:59:59.

Thanks,

Aidan
Old May 18, 14, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I would say minimal. Don't let lack of upgrade space spoil your flight in WT+ though.

Old May 18, 14, 7:12 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by aidanc View Post
I have a WT+ seat on the LHR-SAN BA 273. I've called a few times in the past week or so, and again this morning (T-30 hours approx.) to see if there are any upgrade seats, with Avios, on the flight. So far zero.
You can just search for award space on the flight, as the inventory is the same for award or upgrade with avios. No need to call.

The flight shows J8 C3 W2 E2 T2 Y7 B4 H1 K1 M1 L1 G0 on EF right now, with 15 unallocated seats in Club World on the seat map.
The number of allocated seats is no real indication of how many seats have been booked.

What are the chances of an upgrade seat being released before departure?
Between 0% and 100% inclusive.

Does BA, like other airlines, release upgrade/award inventory at T-24? If so, how many seats? I'm looking for just one, but I might not be able to call at T-23:59:59.
They can be released at anytime, I don't think they are released specifically at T-24.

You may also be able to ask for a cash upgrade at the airport, or it may be offered at OLCI.
Old May 18, 14, 8:02 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
You might have a decent chance of being offered an airport paid upgrade though.
Old May 18, 14, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would suspect the flight is oversold down the back and in WT+ with the liklihood of op-ups. I get the impression BA hold back award space in these situations so they have a clearer view of seat inventory.
Old May 18, 14, 11:43 am
Original Poster

A long time on hold, and then a polite "no". Interesting, since EF show AA with 7 upgrade seats available on the same flight.

Will ask about reduced cash upgrade at the airport, but to be honest, it was Avios I was looking to spend...
Old May 18, 14, 1:09 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A long time on hold, and then a polite "no". Interesting, since EF show AA with 7 upgrade seats available on the same flight.

Will ask about reduced cash upgrade at the airport, but to be honest, it was Avios I was looking to spend...
As I said above, there is no need to call BA. You can simply search online for an award seat.

Secondly, the AA codeshare is showing J7 availability which is used for AAnytime award space (not upgrades) on AA metal flights only. For a codeshare flight that fare bucket is for revenue fares only.

As the name suggests, AAnytime awards are available when any seats are available for sale, they are not the same as standard award inventory and since this is on BA metal is not applicable anyway.
Old May 19, 14, 11:58 pm

Your chances are 0%.

In my experience flying regularly to the East Coast, BA policy has changed and they now don't release any longer any "last minute" CW Avios seats even if they have plenty of unsold inventory.

Case in point, I am flying on Monday to EWR on a reward booking. Initially, I could only book WT. Just noticed, BA released Avios seats in WTP and F but nothing in CW despite the CW cabin being wide open.
Old May 20, 14, 5:33 am
Original Poster

jfs5 you're right. The flight departed with most of the smaller CW cabin (2 class 777) empty. From WT+ I was able to count at least 6 empty CW seats.

It's a bit disappointing, since there were seats, and I was prepared to pay for them (Avios).
Old May 20, 14, 5:41 am

It is disappointing when that happens. But, if BA were willing to sell (Avios) any empty seats just before departure, how many people would buy WT+ instead of CW and expect to UuA?

Like it or not, the only way to be confident of travelling CW is to buy a CW ticket in the first place. And I guess BA like it that way.
Old May 20, 14, 5:44 am

It's a bit disappointing, since there were seats, and I was prepared to pay for them (Avios).
Unfortunately I think BA would prefer you to pay cash, not "pay" in Avios.
Old May 20, 14, 6:00 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you enquire about a cash upgrade at the airport?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: