Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

JNB mileage run in WT, what was I thinking!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2014, 3:22 pm
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
I have the same MR coming up, but not 'til September. Eager to hear how it goes Crossing my fingers for paid upgrades to WT+ becoming available meself...
Old May 14, 2014, 3:28 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Did it 1.5 months ago. The hardest part was the long layover in MAD.
Old May 14, 2014, 3:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold GGL
What seats do you have?

I'd hate to be boxed in for that long, if you're travelling alone.

Keep us updated, please.
Old May 14, 2014, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BD Gold (yes forever), BA Silver, Hilton Gold.
Thanks for all your comments everybody.

Originally Posted by agehall
It looks like you spend a night in JNB. Only whimps spend a night instead of returning the same evening.
Nope, straight back with no overnight in JNB!

I am quite looking forward to layover in Madrid, I think I'll need a break at that point.
Old May 14, 2014, 4:11 pm

I am looking forward to your report. Don't forget photos!
Old May 14, 2014, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
I agree that this flight is not at all bad as it's a) long enough to get a decent amount of sleep and b) at natural sleep times. I've done it in Y quite often.
I'm just back from doing LHR-JNB-LHR in Y - about 7 hours sleep on the way out, and about 8 hours on the way back. To add to the ease factors, there's no real time zone difference, so going in immediately to the office to do a full day is perfectly possible.
Old May 14, 2014, 5:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BigVince76
This all seemed like it would be fun and a great idea to gain some cheap avios last year, but tomorrow is the big day… well it’s still a great way to gain cheap avios!
For someone normal it's not.

I'd be interested to know what the WT product is like these days so do report back with some pictures.
Old May 14, 2014, 9:34 pm

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
I'm very impressed. You'll need a decent massage after all that! I wonder if SA Immigration will think it's strange..
Old May 14, 2014, 11:01 pm

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold, LH FTL, FBP, CCG, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
I do it once a month. It's not that bad as you sleep at natural times on both flights due to their timing.
I don't know about you, but I don't sleep well in Y, which is what I flew at the time. Doing it in C/F should be fine though.

Originally Posted by BigVince76
Nope, straight back with no overnight in JNB!

I am quite looking forward to layover in Madrid, I think I'll need a break at that point.
My bad. Yes, at MAD you certainly deserve a short break. Good luck with all the flying...
Old May 14, 2014, 11:12 pm

A tip to the OP - plan ahead what you have time for realistically see or do in JNB, and how you will get there.
Old May 15, 2014, 12:12 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Something to do in Jo'Burg

The Ann de Wildt Cheetah Centre is well worth a visit. It is about an hour from JNB.
Old May 15, 2014, 1:39 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, VS Red, IHG Platinum
An extract from the email to my OH to persuade him to do this....

Saturday 10th May 2014 11:00 ish start: London - Paris - London - Johannesburg (land at 06:55 on Sunday morning)
Sunday 11th May 2014 19:20 Johannesburg - London - Madrid - London (time to see a bit of Madrid at lunch time on Monday and back to Heathrow on Monday night)

Saturday 24th May 2014 10:00 ish start: London - Madrid - London - Singapore (arriving 14:55 on Sunday)
Sunday 25th May 2014 23:05 Singapore - London - Paris - London with lunch in Paris.

336.58 EUR each. Would get us enough miles to do anything we wanted! It has to have two Mondays off work.

We would have a full day in Johannesburg and the Singapore trip is just a there and back on the plane to get the airmiles.

Do you want to just do a day in Johannesburgh with me if the return trip to Singapore does not appeal!?! Would be great xxx
Old May 15, 2014, 2:04 am

Programs: Accor Silver, HHonours Silver, Carlson Gold, BA Blue
Can I ask how many Avios/tier points you expect from these trips?
Old May 15, 2014, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by yellow_peril
An extract from the email to my OH to persuade him to do this....

Saturday 10th May 2014 11:00 ish start: London - Paris - London - Johannesburg (land at 06:55 on Sunday morning)
Sunday 11th May 2014 19:20 Johannesburg - London - Madrid - London (time to see a bit of Madrid at lunch time on Monday and back to Heathrow on Monday night)

Saturday 24th May 2014 10:00 ish start: London - Madrid - London - Singapore (arriving 14:55 on Sunday)
Sunday 25th May 2014 23:05 Singapore - London - Paris - London with lunch in Paris.
2 week layover in MAD or diff tickets back to LHR? I was in MAD for 2 nts during my JNB run and, even hotel hopping, felt a bit bored.

On my DXB run I only spent 1 nt in MAD and that felt a lot more compact. The layover in JNB is too long - being 12 hrs for me. You kind of feel knackered after travelling and the layover wasn't worth booking a day hotel. It took about 56 hrs to get to my first hotel room. A memorable experience!
Old May 15, 2014, 2:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K

A turnaround return flight in Y to SIN for Avios???? Can't you just do a big shop at the grocery store beginning with T?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.