Old May 13, 2014, 9:23 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR, LTG
Conchita Airways?

That must be the wurst idea
Old May 13, 2014, 3:21 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by brentford77
That must be the wurst idea
Drat and double drat, you beat me to it.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 10:22 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Looks like IAG is the only remaining bidder for NIKI. Glad the idea I had 3 years ago is becoming reality. Should I recommend myself for a top job in IAG in M&A activities?
Old Dec 28, 2017, 10:58 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by 8420PR
My armchair opinion:
- Nonstop longhaul flights are where the money is being made by EU legacy airlines.
- LHR & MAD have large markets, with connections being the cream on top. VIE is a much smaller market.
- For connections, LHR is a great hub for North America, and MAD for South America. VIE could only be to Asia, but with big competition from EK etc.
- Intra EU flights have massive lowcost point to point competition, that hubs don't make sense (and will lose money).

I don't think BA would be able to add anything to Niki (and if anything would burden them with more costs)- hence would continue to lose money if purchased by BA.

However, I do agree Niki are a good little airline.
Agree, but VIE is quite a hub for various exotic (or not as the case may be) Eastern European destinations, with OS snaffling pretty much all of that business (e.g if you're flying London to Belgrade, Sofia, Tirana, Minsk, Odessa etc then OS is likely to be a good option). I don't think Niki offers much in that regard, in the sense that I don't think it has much of a presence in those markets, but I was wondering (maybe naively) that if IAG took over Niki, and obtained slots in VIE, then maybe it could seek to strengthen OneWorld in Eastern Europe where, frankly, it is currently a bit of a nonentity, with Star being completely dominant.
FlyerTalker688786 likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Agree that CE and Germany is a hole in OW, but suspect that IAG is not intending fill it with Nikki purchase.
They can though poision LH's cash cow if you will excuse the mixed metaphors.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
For whatever reason IAG still's negotiating, they are the only bidder left, after TUI, Thomas Cook and company founder Niki Lauda all have jumped ship.

Not knowing what tricks big conglomerates may play on their competition, but IMHO news looks like more than just aiming at LH. A price tag at 40 M € and the fact that
The new owner will have to pay Niki’s running costs, including salaries for its roughly 1,000 employees in Austria and Germany, from the beginning of January
looks more than play.

But my play spending is of course in an other division.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 1:19 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Surely a merger with Vueling would occur ?
Old Dec 29, 2017, 1:23 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sealink
Surely a merger with Vueling would occur ?
Not necessarily. Vueling is a disliked brand and its success is limited to Southern European cities. Niki in another hand is a boutique carrier that has loyal followers. My guess is that Niki will be renamed or become a subsidiary of either BA or IB thus assume parent company's oneworld membership without any cost. This trick can be done as Niki is not a 'national carrier' like Aer Lingus (imagine the fury at Irish parliament if IAG simply make EI a subsidiary of BA or IB in order to join oneworld without the hefty individual membership cost).
Old Dec 29, 2017, 1:28 am

I would agree.But IAG is only getting the slots and staff in reality, the aircraft are gone. So with all the new LGW slots and the Niki slots IAG are going to need to source some aircraft rather quickly.They have some help from their old friends at Titan who are going to be doing some LGW work for BA.Titan have just recruited a bunch of Monarch crews who were laid off in the collapse of Monarch,but IAG need to find more aircraft than that.

I'm sure WW has a master plan up his sleeve.Interesting times ahead.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by chongcao
Looks like IAG is the only remaining bidder for NIKI. Glad the idea I had 3 years ago is becoming reality. Should I recommend myself for a top job in IAG in M&A activities?
Indeed - well trailed. A job in IAG awaits, better there than the Swiss Customs and Excise department
Old Dec 29, 2017, 2:26 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by simons1
Indeed - well trailed. A job in IAG awaits, better there than the Swiss Customs and Excise department
Yeah! I would make sure that is off my CV!
Old Dec 29, 2017, 2:30 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rapidex
I would agree.But IAG is only getting the slots and staff in reality, the aircraft are gone. So with all the new LGW slots and the Niki slots IAG are going to need to source some aircraft rather quickly.They have some help from their old friends at Titan who are going to be doing some LGW work for BA.Titan have just recruited a bunch of Monarch crews who were laid off in the collapse of Monarch,but IAG need to find more aircraft than that.

I'm sure WW has a master plan up his sleeve.Interesting times ahead.
I wonder if some of the BA Cityflyer aircrafts will be shifted to Niki temporarily since Niki has operated the similar A/C type?
Old Dec 29, 2017, 4:17 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Titian have 4 A320 family aircraft, 1 737 and a couple of others, add that to the 9 QR aircraft BA can wet lease and with Nikki and the ex Monarch slots at LGW I wonder how IAG can use all the slots in the short term. I assume most if not all the slots will be on a use it or loose it contract. It may be the case that IAG will have to lease out some of the slots for a while.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by Worcester
Titian have 4 A320 family aircraft, 1 737 and a couple of others, add that to the 9 QR aircraft BA can wet lease and with Nikki and the ex Monarch slots at LGW I wonder how IAG can use all the slots in the short term. I assume most if not all the slots will be on a use it or loose it contract. It may be the case that IAG will have to lease out some of the slots for a while.
BA were able to lease the QR aircraft due to industrial action, put forward as a special case to avoid inconvenience to passengers. Those conditions no longer exist, and so it would be very hard for IAG or BA to make a case to the CAA or JAA to wetlease the aircraft.There are plenty of European aircraft sitting around idle that BA could wet lease,such as Small planet and Jettime etc.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 6:47 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

This thread has been closed so that the discussion of Niki and IAG can be contained in one place. Please continue to follow this topic in the IAG, British Airways & Niki thread.

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.