787 Club World seating and Toddler

Old May 7, 2014, 11:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CA Gold, EY Silver HHons Diamond
787 Club World seating and Toddler

We will be flying to LHR in September, booking WT+ and upgrading with points to CW. No availability direct from PEK so we are looking at going via Chengdu which has just started flying the 787.

This will be our daughters first flight as a non lap infant, so obviously a few concerns, but because we initially presumed we would be on a 747 from PEK, we knew the configuration of the middle seats would allow easy access to her.

The 787 on the other hand has the crazy paving layout which would leave my daughter a bit isolated and possibly prone to a bit of a panic. During the flight there is no issue as we would potter around or sit with her (she has flown 20+ domestic legs and always sleeps most of the time so we are hoping for much of the same!) but I am worried about take off and landing.

With the screens between seats down, how visible would we be to her if she was in the middle with my wife and I either side? Also my main concern is she will try to get out of her seat during take off and landing. I am guessing the only way to get round this is to take a car seat?
Old May 7, 2014, 11:59 pm

She'd be very visible to you both from my experience of the coffin seat - but I doubt you'd be able to reach over and do anything if she got out without getting up yourself (unless your belt is on so slackly as to be no use!)

So yes - the only real option is the car seat - but the follow up question is where you put such a hulking great thing when she's not using it (for the majority of the flight I'd assume!). I haven't tried - I'll admit - but I'd doubt a toddler size car seat would fit in an overhead locker. Perhaps someone might correct me?

I'd also point out that my son (when he was 18 months) hated us bringing his car seat on board when we did so - and screamed his head off when it came time to go back in it for landing.
Old May 8, 2014, 12:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Too many to list
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...world-200.html
Old May 8, 2014, 12:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MPH1980
She'd be very visible to you both from my experience of the coffin seat - but I doubt you'd be able to reach over and do anything if she got out without getting up yourself (unless your belt is on so slackly as to be no use!)

So yes - the only real option is the car seat - but the follow up question is where you put such a hulking great thing when she's not using it (for the majority of the flight I'd assume!). I haven't tried - I'll admit - but I'd doubt a toddler size car seat would fit in an overhead locker. Perhaps someone might correct me?

I'd also point out that my son (when he was 18 months) hated us bringing his car seat on board when we did so - and screamed his head off when it came time to go back in it for landing.
Thanks so much for your input, the devil is in the detail and I hadn't given too much thought to storage inflight - I presumed CC would be able to magic it away somewhere but that is probably not the case! Plenty of room by the exit doors, so I could maybe put it there?

I think I might change tact and look at booking 6J and 7J for the wife and I and put the little one in 6K so we can box her in at least. She is very well behaved when out and about and especially placid when on plane/bus/car but it still doesn't stop me having nightmares about her annoying any other pax!

Mayodave - thanks for the link, I will post across in there regarding my seating selection.

Mods - feel free to delete this if you don't think it will serve purpose for future reference!
Old May 8, 2014, 1:49 am

Programs: Freedom of speech
xxxxx

Last edited by PeasantGate; May 26, 2014 at 10:50 pm
Old May 8, 2014, 3:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PeasantGate
This can waste valuable CC time when it's more important for them to be serving the grown-ups' Champagne!

Travel-lite..... PG3
No argument from me there

I have investigated those car seat/pushchair combos but they look a bit bulky. She is quite independent so as long as she can see a friendly face she should stay put. We will give her some new small toys to fiddle with and a big bag of chocolate to keep her occupied until up in the air (we're responsible parents usually I promise )
Old May 13, 2014, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Just an update on this - Having read about the light loads on the CTU-LHR route, would cabin crew allow myself or my wife to sit with my daughter in WT / WT+ during take off and landing if there are empty seats available? Or is this a health and safety/red tape issue?
Old May 13, 2014, 11:31 pm

Programs: BA
Can't comment on the WTP voluntary DG for takeoff & landing but we never travelled with car seats in the cabin with any of our 4 kids...as PG said, travel light.

Boxing in is the best plan (IMHO) and is what we plan to do with our younger two (on the 777 or A380) next time we fly BA. I think you'd be able to reach through and hold her hand in this situation.
Old May 14, 2014, 4:37 am

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,
Originally Posted by LOUDNOISES
We will be flying to LHR in September, booking WT+ and upgrading with points to CW. No availability direct from PEK so we are looking at going via Chengdu which has just started flying the 787.

This will be our daughters first flight as a non lap infant, so obviously a few concerns, but because we initially presumed we would be on a 747 from PEK, we knew the configuration of the middle seats would allow easy access to her.

The 787 on the other hand has the crazy paving layout which would leave my daughter a bit isolated and possibly prone to a bit of a panic. During the flight there is no issue as we would potter around or sit with her (she has flown 20+ domestic legs and always sleeps most of the time so we are hoping for much of the same!) but I am worried about take off and landing.

With the screens between seats down, how visible would we be to her if she was in the middle with my wife and I either side? Also my main concern is she will try to get out of her seat during take off and landing. I am guessing the only way to get round this is to take a car seat?
If you google "cares harness" that might be one option for you to consider and it beats the carseat. The one caveat is I'm not sure how easy it would be to hook up to a CW seat. It works great on regular seats in Y. I've use it before to keep a squirmy toddler in the seat when the seatbelt sign is fastened.
Old May 14, 2014, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by XCstud
If you google "cares harness" that might be one option for you to consider and it beats the carseat. The one caveat is I'm not sure how easy it would be to hook up to a CW seat. It works great on regular seats in Y. I've use it before to keep a squirmy toddler in the seat when the seatbelt sign is fastened.
You can't use CARES in CW.

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...g-ready-to-fly

See the section on 'Amsafe' which is the manufacturer.
Old May 14, 2014, 6:15 am

Programs: Freedom of speech
xxxxx

Last edited by PeasantGate; May 26, 2014 at 10:41 pm
Old May 14, 2014, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for that PG, I know deep down I am probably over thinking this but I would be mortified if she made a scene.

I think the plying with chocolate and new fiddly toys is the way forward. Will keep Mrs LOUDNOISES handbag on standby for emergency use as emptying and refilling that is guaranteed to keep her sat still and occupied!

I may ask about a lap belt for TO&L in case of an extreme emergency - she will only be 25 months when we travel, and only weighs 11kg now, but I'm always weary of making trouble for someone you are relying on to keep your drink topped up for the next ten hours before the flight has even departed
Old May 14, 2014, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by LOUDNOISES
Will keep Mrs LOUDNOISES handbag on standby for emergency use as emptying and refilling that is guaranteed to keep her sat still and occupied!
That is so like my little one who I am dreading taking on her first long haul flight in November. If that doesn't work Smarties I think will be the way to go, ideally the mini ones.
I'm just keeping everything crossed that by then she'll be a bit more co-operative at 2 years than she is now at 18 months !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.