Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How can I get a weber BBQ FROM USA back with me on BA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How can I get a weber BBQ FROM USA back with me on BA

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2014, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott LTP/PE
Originally Posted by PeasantGate
I personally wouldn't worry too much about the technical issues. You could easily convert this to a UK pol-nut with variable regulator for about £20, in less than half an hour and it be perfectly safe. Although kiss goodbye to manufacture servicing, spare parts, warranty and any product liability.

The only issue is cost. This could easily reach £400 with shipping cost, admin, storage, clearance fees, import duty and VAT.

It's just not worth it!
That's why I wanted to bring it back on my flight with me - so I could claim it as part of my duty free allowance. I don't understand why they cost so much more in the UK.
Old May 6, 2014, 12:03 pm
uk1
Suspended

I thought the whole idea of barbecues was that you threw them away at least every few years.
Old May 6, 2014, 12:22 pm

Programs: BA something, Luftwaffe SEN, CX Gold, Pilsbury Doughboy Fanclub, and lots of Amex cards
Did exactly the same with a vitamix - £529 Uk price vs $310 in the US.
Checked it in, along with the voltage transformer to run it ($55 iirc).
No issues, and at well under half price, a no brainer.

However, that lot didn't weigh 75kg.
Could you split it across multiple packages? If travelling with someone else in F or J, you should be able to manage it utilising your allowance of all 6.
Old May 6, 2014, 12:25 pm

Programs: Freedom of speech
xxxxx

Last edited by PeasantGate; May 26, 2014 at 11:05 pm
Old May 6, 2014, 12:33 pm

xxxxx

Last edited by PeasantGate; May 26, 2014 at 11:05 pm
Old May 6, 2014, 12:34 pm

xxxxx

Last edited by PeasantGate; May 26, 2014 at 11:06 pm
Old May 6, 2014, 12:59 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Question

Originally Posted by buddman
That's why I wanted to bring it back on my flight with me - so I could claim it as part of my duty free allowance. I don't understand why they cost so much more in the UK.
Can you not ship it but claim it is "to follow" on the customs form when you arrive by air? Never done this myself and don't know if it's possible in the UK - but I've seen it on customs form for other countries.

Otherwise...could you ship it to somewhere with cheaper import duty, say Ireland or Jersey and then take it back from there by car (on a ferry)?

Probably loose your savings mind.
Old May 6, 2014, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, HH Diamond.
I really like this website for all it's interesting threads and questions and helpful replies.^

Next week... " I want to bring an orphaned baby elephant from India on a companion ticket, will it have access to the arrivals lounge?"
Old May 6, 2014, 1:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jbfield
Probably loose your savings mind.

Probably lose your mind. Lots of hassle, minimal savings in the end methinks.
Old May 6, 2014, 1:42 pm

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
as stated earlier by a poster you should consider the warranty issue

unless you have an international warranty (not sure of cost ) you will not be covered for any faults which may arise

I found this to my cost with a camera I thought I had got at a great price
Old May 6, 2014, 2:48 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
Had this conversation a few times with the other half when she wants us to bring one back.

My reply is usually along the lines why not ship 10 or 20 back and event after tax paid probably make enough for mine to be free. Never looked into it that closely though.
Old May 6, 2014, 2:49 pm

Programs: BA silver, VS, Jet, Carlson gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by buddman
You cannot do this, you are not allowed to part use your duty free allowance on a single item.

To quote from HM Revenue and Customs:

"If you bring in any single item worth more than your allowance, you must pay duty and/or tax on the full item value, not just the value above the allowance. You also cannot group individual allowances together to bring in an item worth more than the limit."
Old May 6, 2014, 3:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Jagboi
Out of curiosity, what's the main fuel for BBQ's in the UK? In North America they come in 2 types: one runs on bottled propane (usually a 20 lb cylinder), the other on natural gas from the house pipeline. The burners are different because of the different heat contents of the gases
I use wood....no boys toys here.

Old May 6, 2014, 3:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by aldaniti
I really like this website for all it's interesting threads and questions and helpful replies.^

Next week... " I want to bring an orphaned baby elephant from India on a companion ticket, will it have access to the arrivals lounge?"
Now that made me chuckle
Old May 6, 2014, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott LTP/PE
Originally Posted by abfab
You cannot do this, you are not allowed to part use your duty free allowance on a single item.

To quote from HM Revenue and Customs:

"If you bring in any single item worth more than your allowance, you must pay duty and/or tax on the full item value, not just the value above the allowance. You also cannot group individual allowances together to bring in an item worth more than the limit."
Good point. I though the allowance was over £500, but see now it's only £390.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.