US Airways (AA) compared to BA CW

Old Apr 30, 2014, 7:37 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thumbs up US Airways (AA) compared to BA CW

I don't typically eat on the plane as most of the slop on any airline seems so awful but US "looked" better than the CW meals - not sure how actually tastes but I have to say when it comes to the seat - wow! Very similar to AA77W and CX and IMHO BA needs a substantial refresh comparatively. Great use of avios and to be honest, those of us that pay for business class should give US a try if its a route both fly.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 8:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yes after many many years AA/US seem to have finally realised that lie flat is the way forward....not all their aircraft have lie flat J of course.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 8:23 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Yes after many many years AA/US seem to have finally realised that lie flat is the way forward....not all their aircraft have lie flat J of course.
Hun, my sense is that it doesn't matter what was going on years ago in terms of seats as I am actually flying the airlines that offer the best product in the here and now!
Old Apr 30, 2014, 8:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JohnnyUMF
Hun, my sense is that it doesn't matter what was going on years ago in terms of seats as I am actually flying the airlines that offer the best product in the here and now!
Me too hon.
But AA still serve EZE with sloping J seats. Hence why I shall wait until they offer a consistent J seat across their whole fleet before I fly with them in J. Another couple of years I hear.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 9:49 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
And US isn't yet consistent on this front either as not all of their TATLs have lie flats. There is no doubt that if you get the right aircraft on US/AA, you'll do slightly better than BA, but if you get the wrong aircraft, you'll do a lot worse. Even if the promised aircraft offers lie flats, aircraft substitutions in IRROPs are much more likely to get you the wrong seat on US/AA.
Old May 1, 2014, 9:18 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
And US isn't yet consistent on this front either as not all of their TATLs have lie flats. There is no doubt that if you get the right aircraft on US/AA, you'll do slightly better than BA, but if you get the wrong aircraft, you'll do a lot worse. Even if the promised aircraft offers lie flats, aircraft substitutions in IRROPs are much more likely to get you the wrong seat on US/AA.
Really depends on flight and schedule. Unless overnight Id say you are not going to do a "lot worse." GO with the better flight for you. I haven't had any substitutions on my nonstop to PHL or JFK and the seating is really terrific. It seems also the soft product on AA at least is better from my observations - again I dont eat the food but it seems "nicer" aesthetically.
Old May 1, 2014, 10:19 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
If aircraft type substitution happens, you will be contacted by their Revenue Operations to discuss options. Happened once to me - I decided to downgrade to Y when A330 was replaced by B767 and was given fare difference and very generous compensation (in cash).
Old May 1, 2014, 10:44 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Another couple of years I hear.
hahah...babe, by then you'll be ready for your next flight
Old May 1, 2014, 11:05 am

Programs: BA Gold4life, ICH RA, Hyatt Gold and others
Apologies, not sure what this thread is actually about other than another of JonnyUMF's BA CW bashing propaganda outlets!

Dont feed him people please!!!
Old May 1, 2014, 11:07 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mutu
Apologies, not sure what this thread is actually about other than another of JonnyUMF's BA CW bashing propaganda outlets!

Dont feed him people please!!!
I wouldnt eat the slop you'd probably feed me. What utter trash this kind of posting is, do you own this board? I had a recent experience that was positive on US, they are now available for Avios redemption and earning so I was curious to see what others think. I believe CW is still a solid product, my posts are balanced and reflective of other experiences - that is if you can read and comprehend. Do my impressions hurt your feelings? Do you have feelings about BA that prevent your ability to engage in a discussion about competing/similar products?
Old May 18, 2014, 11:41 am

Does anyone know how the US airways business class product compares to that of BA or even AA's 77W? From what the pictures show it looks almost identical to AA, but I've always had my reservations about US from some reason I don't even know.
Old May 18, 2014, 12:06 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MillionMileMarker
Does anyone know how the US airways business class product compares to that of BA or even AA's 77W? From what the pictures show it looks almost identical to AA, but I've always had my reservations about US from some reason I don't even know.
My own sense is that in terms of seat alone (materials/extra features) I would rank CX, AA, then US (I reference these three because the seat is nearly the same). If you do get the new US seat it is certainly a step up from BA CW. I am sure some prefer the BA service, I find that it is not that different especially if comparing food which I generally find so unhealthy on most airlines I rarely eat. I think the new US seat for sleeping, working, or just overall comfort is a step above BA. My main gripe with most lounges in the USA, especially the US Airways Clubs is lack of showers (though most AA lounges have ones that are actually much nicer than the dorm style BA showers at LHR). I am sure the histrionic folks will be soon be jumping in with their "commentary."
Old May 18, 2014, 12:11 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by MillionMileMarker
Depends on the aircraft type / route. For example on Europe sectors US Airways tends to use 757s, which only have 12 seats in business, of which 11 are sold, and there's no First class. Arguably quite exclusive with between 1 and 2 cabin crew depending on where they are are in the service. Those seats are not fully flat, there's an angle at the knees, they are showing their age and aren't a patch on BA or AA 77W. But they're fine for a shorter day flight (e.g. GLA or EDI to PHL). In the case of AA and US there is quite a wide variation of seats in their premium cabins, whereas BA CW is fairly standard throughout.
Old May 18, 2014, 12:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Depends on the aircraft type / route. For example on Europe sectors US Airways tends to use 757s, which only have 12 seats in business, of which 11 are sold, and there's no First class. Arguably quite exclusive with between 1 and 2 cabin crew depending on where they are are in the service. Those seats are not fully flat, there's an angle at the knees, they are showing their age and aren't a patch on BA or AA 77W. But they're fine for a shorter day flight (e.g. GLA or EDI to PHL). In the case of AA and US there is quite a wide variation of seats in their premium cabins, whereas BA CW is fairly standard throughout.
A good point to is that if one is originating at/near an airport that US flies from nonstop it makes a lot more sense than making connections on domestic or CE just to then take BA CW to get a fully flat seat (provided the US plane has the older business class seat) - of course pricing/flight times etc are also critical.
Old May 18, 2014, 12:41 pm

Thanks for the input. I'll be flying LHR - MIA twice in the next 6 weeks so was keen to know how it is. Fortunately I'll be flying on US to MIA via CLT and back on the AA 77W. I've always flown BA CW so quite keen to see what both of the other products are like, but by the sound of it I'm fortunate that I've booked the 77W on the way back for the fully lie flat seat.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.