Search

Credit card used to book - required?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2014, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BMI Diamond Club
Credit card used to book - required?

Hello
I've seen a few threads where the requirement to present the credit card used to book was queried. Well just to confirm in my case it was required! I am travelling on cash & avios booked 11 months ago LBA-LHR-PHX in first. This is my first BA flight since I migrated from BMI.

I used an Amex to get the extra points but having seen the note rather than churn it kept it live. The other anomaly was that I was unable to checkin online.

I guess my concern would be that of others who have cancelled /changed cards in the year between booking and travelling.

Anyway this was just to advise of my personal experience but don't know if I was just (un)lucky!
Old Apr 30, 2014, 10:51 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, AF Gold, some hotels...
When you booked (and for future reference if you don't remember) there would have been a tick box on the payment page offering you the option 'paying passenger not travelling'. Always tick it as a matter of course.

In your case I would take the card with me, or its replacement if it has been lost or expired in the meantime. I got asked for it twice some years ago, but not in the last few years.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 11:55 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BAEC Silver
I've never been asked for it in London (LGR or LHR), but I am always stopped for a credit card check at the gate at ATH. So, better make sure you have it with you.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 12:19 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by vgang
I've never been asked for it in London (LGR or LHR), but I am always stopped for a credit card check at the gate at ATH. So, better make sure you have it with you.
I've never been asked to show it either. Between booking and flying probably 5% of passengers will have either lost their credit card or closed the account. I doubt it would be a problem unless your profile looks suspect for other reasons.
Old May 4, 2014, 10:17 am

i was asked for the payment card at check in desk in AGP recently. the card was swiped in the reader at the top of the keyboard.

flight booked in july 2013 for travel in april 2014

Last edited by lfc84; May 4, 2014 at 11:49 am
Old May 4, 2014, 10:26 am

Programs: BA Bronze
I lost my card two days before flying once and for some reason was unable to check in online. Went to LHR, they asked for the card and I didn't have it!

The desk agent asked what happened and I simply said I had lost it. He wanted to refund the money back to that account and for me to pay again (the same amount) with a different card. I refused on the grounds I didn't have the money and after some two and fro stern looks he obliged and allowed me to fly - after seeing my drivers licence and online banking screen for the account in question.

Couldn't see what help the online banking part did but ah well - this stuff happens!
Old May 4, 2014, 11:13 am
pb3

Programs: BAEC - Blue - How the once mighty have fallen
Originally Posted by Learner99
Hello
I've seen a few threads where the requirement to present the credit card used to book was queried. Well just to confirm in my case it was required! I am travelling on cash & avios booked 11 months ago LBA-LHR-PHX in first.
The last time this topic came around The consensus appeared to be that BA does this check for security reasons.

I simply fail to see how this holds up for a ticket booked 11 months ago.

In the specific case of Amex - if I fell afoul of this and was forced to use another card - I would complain to Amex as the refund would mean my loss of membership reward points for the flight. I fail to see how this BA imposed requirement could be considered reasonable for a ticket booked, and most likely paid for 11 months ago.

Last edited by pb3; May 8, 2014 at 3:18 am
Old May 5, 2014, 8:31 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
I have only been asked a couple of times and on one occasion when I did not have the card used for the booking with me, the check-in-agent was quite happy to accept a different card (I think a valid CC simply verifies one's ID).

One would think that being a GCH with a passport matching the name in the booking and a photo in the passport matching me, should really be enough unless there was something very odd about the booking ....
Old May 5, 2014, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I haven not been asked for the credit card for several ex-EDI flights now.

Regards

TBS
Old May 5, 2014, 9:03 am

I've never once been asked for my credit card. Most of my itineraries start in Edinburgh but i've had few from London too. I must have an honest face
Old May 5, 2014, 1:50 pm
Ziz

I'm asked everytime I fly from YYZ (though curiously not on the return). I always just tell the agent that my mother purchased my ticket for me and it's never an issue. I've often wondered what the point of asking is if it's never a problem!

Though this past time they cancelled my ticket without informing me. My mother lost her credit card in between purchasing the ticket (about a month earlier) and my travel date. When I arrived at the airport I was informed that they had cancelled my ticket to prevent fraud. I was enraged because the ticket was purchased way before she reported the card lost.
Old May 5, 2014, 2:02 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Velocity Gold
The only times I've been asked so far have been when making a change to the original booking (POUG, UUA, etc)
Old May 5, 2014, 2:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Never, ever, been asked in the 25 years I've had my own credit cards.
Old May 5, 2014, 4:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I've never been asked to produce my payment card, even for a flight from SYD to LHR that cost around $6k. If online retailers are happy to ship several thousand pounds worth of goods without physically seeing the card, I don't see what BA feel they gain from it.
Old May 5, 2014, 4:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold IHG Ambassador Spire Shangri La Diamond
I am asked for it every time I fly from PEK - even bookings made through the corporate travel agent card - every time we have a dialogue that I do not have that card etc etc. Last time I was told if I cannot travel with the card I have to travel with its number and security code try telling that to the finance gurus

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.