Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Sleeping BA Passenger Molested For 5 Minutes During London-SFO Flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:33 pm
Used to be 'FTcadence'
Original Poster

Two hours into a 10-hour flight, a male passenger (Vinay Pochampally) squeezed in between a bulkhead and a row of seats. He positioned himself behind a sleeping female passenger and then proceeded to allegedly insert his hand into her shirt. He kept it there for 4-5 minutes before the victim awoke and Mr. Pochampally quickly made his way back to his seat. Multiple passengers witnessed what had transpired and reported the incident to crew members who confronted and reseated Mr. Pochampally who was later charged with simple assault in San Francisco.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documen...-molest-687432

Wonder why it took so long for someone to say something...
Old Apr 24, 2014, 6:41 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Deleted.

Last edited by User Name; Apr 25, 2014 at 4:55 am Reason: Removed at request of another member.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 8:19 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by User Name
I never get molested on my flights.

Mind you, the crew do keep plying me with Champers so presumably it happens after I've passed out.
This story is terrible...

Not to make light Of the situation that is horrible but I too would be an easy target....on a recent flight from GRU to YYZ I recall watching American Hustle but really don't....this is awful for the pax.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
I was on the flight - and there was no delay in reporting it - police came on and took him off before even the First Class passengers left - and more police (about 6-7 officers) were waiting to take statements from the various witnesses.

I was upstairs, so missed it all (apart from the delay in disembarking).
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:53 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
I suppose one question is why nobody intervened but you could imagine a situation where his actions were hidden until the victim awoke. All of us, in Y or F, fly with a certain degree of implicit trust necessary of other passengers. I hope the victim recovers from what must have been a very traumatic experience.

Last edited by crazy8534; Apr 25, 2014 at 12:06 am
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
He had quite a good escape plan, didn't he.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 1:07 am

I like the fact that the picture accompanying the story is of the seat map.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 1:16 am

Just read the story, wonder how much time he will get

Last edited by Polomarc; Apr 25, 2014 at 3:55 am
Old Apr 25, 2014, 1:36 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Weird story! I wonder how much of this stuff goes on without getting noticed / reported?
Old Apr 25, 2014, 3:05 am

Programs: BA Silver
How on earth could this go on for so long without any intervention, particularly on a daytime flight? Really quite shocking. I can only imagine it was so blatant that people thought they were a couple (even then not really appropriate aircraft behaviour for a LHR flight (LGW perhaps )

Hopefully this pervert gets the appropriate punishment. Luckily the flight was going to the US so he might get it.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 3:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Jetstreamer
... Hopefully this pervert gets the appropriate punishment. Luckily the flight was going to the US so he might get it.
He's been charged with a misdemeanour so the maximum sentence would be 6 months. Depending on his antecedents he'll likely end up with a fine.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 3:47 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Molestation and abuse can have a long term impact on the victims of these crimes. Apart from the court sentence, I hope no airline allows him to fly again.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 3:54 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by TravelingPeanut
Two hours into a 10-hour flight, a male passenger (Vinay Pochampally) squeezed in between a bulkhead and a row of seats. He positioned himself behind a sleeping female passenger and then proceeded to allegedly insert his hand into her shirt. He kept it there for 4-5 minutes before the victim awoke and Mr. Pochampally quickly made his way back to his seat. Multiple passengers witnessed what had transpired and reported the incident to crew members who confronted and reseated Mr. Pochampally who was later charged with simple assault in San Francisco.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documen...-molest-687432

Wonder why it took so long for someone to say something...
How did someone know his hand was there for 4-5 minutes if the alleged perpetrator doesn't admit it was there for 4-5 minutes? Drunk, unseemly lecher either way. Will BA blacklist him?
Old Apr 25, 2014, 1:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
If he's not a US citizen, it's doubtful he'll ever be allowed back in.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
If he's not a US citizen, it's doubtful he'll ever be allowed back in.
Filed under "Moral Turpitude", ISTR from compiling the old ESTA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.