Weekend day trip fares

Old Mar 26, 2018, 6:10 am

Programs: BA silver,
Originally Posted by ringingup

IMHO you have two options:
  1. If you book a day trip, you can hope to be offered a POUG on both legs (you’d have to book at least 48 hours in advance of checking in.
Earlier this year LHR-LUX was £42 return with Sat early am out and early evening return. Was offered POUG for £49 each way on MMB.
ringingup likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 6:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rjhcambs

Earlier this year LHR-LUX was £42 return with Sat early am out and early evening return. Was offered POUG for £49 each way on MMB.
That is pretty good value, isn't it? What's the cheapest CE return to LUX that you can get?
Old Mar 26, 2018, 6:48 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
That is pretty good value, isn't it? What's the cheapest CE return to LUX that you can get?
This link is what is needed for these queries. Currently it is £172 return, and that is currently the cheapest CE available. I would imagine that will change around a bit with the next CE Sale. Places like BOD and AGP may go lower than this fare.

https://www.britishairways.com/trave..._gb?region=EUK
Old Mar 26, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
This link is what is needed for these queries. Currently it is £172 return, and that is currently the cheapest CE available. I would imagine that will change around a bit with the next CE Sale. Places like BOD and AGP may go lower than this fare.

https://www.britishairways.com/trave..._gb?region=EUK
That link used to be one of my favourite pages on BA.com, but it was ruined in 2016 when they removed the "sort by price" function. Next time you're having a catch-up with one of the big cheeses at BA, please can you campaign to have "sort by price" reinstated on that page?!
Old Mar 26, 2018, 7:02 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Deltus
That link used to be one of my favourite pages on BA.com, but it was ruined in 2016 when they removed the "sort by price" function. Next time you're having a catch-up with one of the big cheeses at BA, please can you campaign to have "sort by price" reinstated on that page?!
May be quicker if I show you how to do Pivot Tables.
Deltus likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 7:05 am

May be quicker if I show you how to do Pivot Tables.
Aha! I know about them, but hadn't considered the possibility of an automatic data link to that page from Excel. That can be my project for this afternoon...
Old Mar 26, 2018, 7:05 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
EDIT: Wait, do those still exist? Do they book in G class? I can't seem to find any for this week-end, yet!

Last edited by thebigben; Mar 26, 2018 at 7:18 am
Old Mar 26, 2018, 7:12 am

Aha! I know about them, but hadn't considered the possibility of an automatic data link to that page from Excel. That can be my project for this afternoon...
A browser plugin to reorder the results may also be an option ;-)
Old Mar 26, 2018, 7:16 am

A browser plugin to reorder the results may also be an option ;-)
Can you recommend one? A brief foray into Excel data importing suggests that the formatting of the BA site has killed my first idea...
Old Mar 26, 2018, 7:21 am

Can you recommend one? A brief foray into Excel data importing suggests that the formatting of the BA site has killed my first idea...
I was talking about writing one from scratch. I’ve never had to write a Chrome plugin, but it shouldn’t be too hard.

If you wanted to parse the html to collect the data, it could be done relatively easily. However, it would be easier to parse the response coming from the underlying API request that the browsers makes.

Anyway, we’re getting OT. Send me a private message if you’d like to discuss further
Old Mar 26, 2018, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by thebigben
EDIT: Wait, do those still exist? Do they book in G class? I can't seem to find any for this week-end, yet!
Yes they still are available, booking into G. Note that for POUGs, these are only offered approximately 3 days after booking, if at all. AUP are not so constrained. Easter Saturday meant I couldn't find any for some locations (e.g. LIS) but DUB still comes up (and there were other times/dates):

Old Mar 26, 2018, 7:51 am

Yes they still are available, booking into G. Note that for POUGs, these are only offered approximately 3 days after booking, if at all. AUP are not so constrained. Easter Saturday meant I couldn't find any for some locations (e.g. LIS) but DUB still comes up (and there were other times/dates):

Thank you CWS. I assume my confusion was due to ITA Matrix not picking up those fares as I would normally expect. I tried manually for a few but not Dublin! I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for the next GVA or AMS availability
Old Mar 26, 2018, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
In a 2,000 mile destination radius from FRA, using ITA I easily found valid filed fares from London to AMS, BCN, BRU, DUB, DUS, EDI, FRA, GVA, HAM, LUX, MAD, MAN, MXP, MUC, CDG, FCO, VIE and ZRH. This is an incomplete list because of limitations from doing long ITA searches. I have also seen valid fares for ARN and CPH using a separate search, and there must be more.

So the answer is that these fares definitely still exist. As ever, the challenge is to book them when revenue management has released some G class seats. That is something with which ITA can also help if you turn the availability checker on.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
In a 2,000 mile destination radius from FRA, using ITA I easily found valid filed fares from London to AMS, BCN, BRU, DUB, DUS, EDI, FRA, GVA, HAM, LUX, MAD, MAN, MXP, MUC, CDG, FCO, VIE and ZRH. This is an incomplete list because of limitations from doing long ITA searches. I have also seen valid fares for ARN and CPH using a separate search, and there must be more.

So the answer is that these fares definitely still exist. As ever, the challenge is to book them when revenue management has released some G class seats. That is something with which ITA can also help if you turn the availability checker on.
Alright the odd thing is that I can see the fare that cws posted above on BA's site, but not on ITA, searching for the same dates, origin and destination. Is there any reason for that? I might just go for an expertflyer subscription soon, but I'd also like to understand what ITA does or doesn't do.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:15 am

Thank you CWS. I assume my confusion was due to ITA Matrix not picking up those fares as I would normally expect. I tried manually for a few but not Dublin! I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for the next GVA or AMS availability
Awayday fares are private fares so I would expect ITA to be constrained in pricing them as it has been in the past on Basic fares. The latter will become public fares on 4 April 2018,

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.