Wiki Posts
Search

Weekend day trip fares

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:32 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Weekend day trip fares

AUP works on these fares. Not had any luck exLHR though but 100% exEU on the return
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Silver, Thameslink Delay Repay
Originally Posted by our_kid
I fancy NCE on Saturday! Anyone managed to get offered a POUG on these fares? Or is it an AUP job?
Me, on both legs. £69 LHR-VIE and VIE-LHR.

Didn't show up right after booking but a few days later.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Looks like they are proving popular!

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...s/hellodaytrip
Old Apr 23, 2014, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
Looks like they are proving popular!

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...s/hellodaytrip
Odd that MXP is 'Milan' and LIN is 'Linate', wouldn't Linate be more convenient for a day trip to Milan?
Old Apr 23, 2014, 12:18 pm
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by orbitmic
The regular bus is actually €1.50 if you buy a single ticket (or €1 if you buy a card for 10 trips on any bus, that one included). The "express" bus is €6.

As PeaSouper mentions, you could also hypothetically walk (along the sea) from the airport to the city centre. It takes about 30 minutes, including 10 minutes not too pleasant (where you should walk on the cycleld path because the real pavement is too narrow) and then 20 minutes extremely pleasant. You can indeed pack your lunch or buy a great home made Pan Bagnat (essentially a crusty round bread filled with salade nicoise ingredients) for about €3.50, a portion of socca (a charcoal grilled chickpea and olive oil crepe) for about €2, or a portion of pissaladiere (caramelised onion tart with olives and anchovies) for about €1.40, and eat any of the above on the beach, especially on a day like today!! The compulsory Fenocchio ice cream with your choice of approximately 100 great flavours will add €2 to your lunch costs and you can sit down on a beautiful square in the Old Town with your complimentary glasses of tap water for that price!
I'm impressed with the walking speed of 30 minutes .... you are quick!

In a way ... NCE airport is in town so one could viably say the walk is no minutes at all but I reckon that walking from the airport to the Old Town has to be well over an hour ... and I walk brisk! No one should walk on a day trip.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by uk1
I'm impressed with the walking speed of 30 minutes .... you are quick!

In a way ... NCE airport is in town so one could viably say the walk is no minutes at all but I reckon that walking from the airport to Old Town has to be well over an hour ... and I walk brisk! No one should walk on a day trip.
Your description of the airport pretty much in town is exactly right. The Old town is indeed the Eastern part of the city centre (the airport is west) so you reach the city centre quite a lot before. 30 minutes to the beginning of the city centre is roughly my speed but I am indeed a fast walker and tend to travel suitcase-less most of the time, and of course, I could do the walk in my sleep. To the heart of the Old town takes me about 50, and to the harbour, which is where I am normally heading about 1 hour. To be honest, I wouldn't even care if it was more as it is just really pretty to walk by the sea. And that's the thing I guess: walking is my favourite thing to do anywhere I go so for me, on a day trip, it would be a way of enjoying all my time somewhere!

On POUG, not sure about this fare, but the 'normal' offer is typically £69 from LGW and £79 from LHR.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 12:59 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, and BAEC in name only
We did a Sunday day trip to Rome a few weeks ago for my partner's birthday. Out on the first flight and back at home by 11pm. We knew where we were going in Rome, didn't try to do too much, and enjoyed a tasty relaxed lunch with a good bottle of wine.

A few other people we saw onboard were obviously doing exactly the same.

A great day, and we will certainly consider other day trips later in the year. ^
Old Apr 23, 2014, 1:09 pm
uk1
Suspended

Your description of the airport pretty much in town is exactly right. The Old town is indeed the Eastern part of the city centre (the airport is west) so you reach the city centre quite a lot before. 30 minutes to the beginning of the city centre is roughly my speed but I am indeed a fast walker and tend to travel suitcase-less most of the time, and of course, I could do the walk in my sleep. To the heart of the Old town takes me about 50, and to the harbour, which is where I am normally heading about 1 hour. To be honest, I wouldn't even care if it was more as it is just really pretty to walk by the sea. And that's the thing I guess: walking is my favourite thing to do anywhere I go so for me, on a day trip, it would be a way of enjoying all my time somewhere!

On POUG, not sure about this fare, but the 'normal' offer is typically £69 from LGW and £79 from LHR.
You are running .... not walking!

I've had a flat on Buffa then Victor Hugo. Outside of that time I made the mistake of once staying at The Raddisson - as it happens it went up in smoke during our stay. I'd say that is half way between the airport and the Old Town. If you look at their website it has a view towards the Old Town. That was a good hour. The Negresco is much, much closer to the Old Town I'd say is a very very brisk 30 minutes. I'd class town center as Massena.

You have highly go faster shoes ..... or you're enjoying the walk so much you're losing track of time .........
Old Apr 23, 2014, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by uk1
Outside of that time I made the mistake of once staying at The Raddisson - as it happens it went up in smoke during our stay.
I stayed there once! When was the fire and how bad was it?
Old Apr 23, 2014, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by uk1
You are running .... not walking!
Fair enough!!
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:08 am
Lux

To ask a possibly dumb question - I can't see G class on the earning tables on BA.com (or here, which I'd probably trust more) - do flights in this class earn Tier Points?
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
They do, 10 each way in ET/Dom.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by layz
Odd that MXP is 'Milan' and LIN is 'Linate', wouldn't Linate be more convenient for a day trip to Milan?
Yes, it would considering the airport locations of both.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Lux
To ask a possibly dumb question - I can't see G class on the earning tables on BA.com ...
G class? It's right here (but note that it's not supposed to earn anything if used for redemptions by avios.com):-

Old Apr 24, 2014, 5:06 pm

Programs: BA,EK,SPG
The regular bus is actually €1.50 if you buy a single ticket (or €1 if you buy a card for 10 trips on any bus, that one included). The "express" bus is €6.

As PeaSouper mentions, you could also hypothetically walk (along the sea) from the airport to the city centre. It takes about 30 minutes, including 10 minutes not too pleasant (where you should walk on the cycle path because the real pavement is too narrow) and then 20 minutes extremely pleasant. You can indeed pack your lunch or buy a great home made Pan Bagnat (essentially a crusty round bread filled with salade nicoise ingredients) for about €3.50, a portion of socca (a charcoal grilled chickpea and olive oil crepe) for about €2, or a portion of pissaladiere (caramelised onion tart with olives and anchovies) for about €1.40, and eat any of the above on the beach, especially on a day like today!! The compulsory Fenocchio ice cream with your choice of approximately 100 great flavours will add €2 to your lunch costs and you can sit down on a beautiful square in the Old Town with your complimentary glasses of tap water for that price!
Blimey.... I took my girls to NCE for a day trip last Tuesday, cost me €35 for a taxi from the airport to the centre of the Promenade de Anglais, three ice creams at Haagen Dazs set me back €33 and lets not mention the lunch bill. Still it was worth it, my two girls loved it, the weather was great too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.