Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Caught out on the Adv Purchase Rule on I fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2014, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

I want to go for LHR-JFK on the 17th May and back on the 20th in CW.
Last Sat there was lots of choice at round trip price of about £2500.
Checking tonight it is an eye watering £4500.

After a bit of searching on here i have just found the 28 day adv purchase rule for I fares. Is that rule obvious on the BA site ? Lots of warning that is non changeable and non refundable but I did not notice the adv purchase rule.

Of course the I fare bucket has still lots of availability, I guess ex-EU can still book in this ?
Old Apr 22, 2014, 3:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Yes, €2686 ex BRU on the dates you mentioned, in I class.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 3:28 pm

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 1:25 am
Old Apr 22, 2014, 3:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Or pay half the BA fare and go with AA, fly a brand new 77W in a better seat (IMO) and still get 280TPs. For me that's a no-brainer.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 1:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BerksFlyer
Or pay half the BA fare and go with AA, fly a brand new 77W in a better seat (IMO) and still get 280TPs. For me that's a no-brainer.

Thanks, great tip, I have just checked the fares on AA.CO.UK. BA.COM does not show the AA I fare now (£2254 on AA). The AA rule is 14 day advance purchase. The cabin also looks very modern. I think I will give it a go.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Dermot
After a bit of searching on here i have just found the 28 day adv purchase rule for I fares. Is that rule obvious on the BA site ? Lots of warning that is non changeable and non refundable but I did not notice the adv purchase rule.
No, the AP restriction isn't shown on the BA site. That shows information relevant to a person who's buying a ticket at that moment, which is only shown when the firm price quote has been given. By definition, at that point the customer already satisfies any AP restriction.

To see the AP restriction for a particular fare, look up the full fare rules using ExpertFlyer or a similar service. An alternative is to price it using matrix.itasoftware.com, which will show you a link to the full fare rules of an itinerary for which a price has been given, but this will be subject to the same problem as ba.com - if you choose dates which don't satisfy the AP restriction for the fare, that fare will never be displayed to you for those travel dates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.