Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Walker talker alert LGW Flounge

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:33 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by johnashw
How about a thread based (similar I think to one they run in Time Out in London) of the most absurd snippets of conversation heard in BA premises?
On my EDI-LHR flight last week, the woman next to was openly going through a slide deck on sales of Monster energy drink (for whom she worked, or perhaps they were a client of hers) versus the estimated sales of Red Bull, by region in EMEA. All very interesting stuff. She was in marketing - I know that as she also responded to some emails about the up-coming quarterly VP meeting in South Africa.

A few years ago, I also sat next to then-chancellor Gordon Brown and his aide (me in 1D, he in 1F, his aide in 1E). His aide had documents sitting on his lap and the top sheet was the names and London addresses of a few of the then-cabinet. I thought then that it was real bad that it was so readily on show.

I know, I'm a bad person for looking in both cases.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:41 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Paralytic

A few years ago, I also sat next to then-chancellor Gordon Brown and his aide (me in 1D, he in 1F, his aide in 1E). His aide had documents sitting on his lap and the top sheet was the names and London addresses of a few of the then-cabinet. I thought then that it was real bad that it was so readily on show.
Sounds like something from The Thick Of It
Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:47 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, HH Diamond.
Originally Posted by Icarusian
Definitely one of my pet hates. I don't think I've ever taken a call in a lounge and if I absolutely have to do it on the train, I go to the vestibule area, whether I'm in a quiet carriage or not.

I sometimes want to shout at people "Just because your phone rings, what makes you think you have to answer it?"

I also dislike loud conversations. The worst place for them is on an early morning flight when trying to sleep. Maybe I'm just antisocial but I don't have a single colleague I would want to sit beside on a plane at 6am and have a chat (and it's usually colleagues).
^
the voice on the plane is always the person sitting behind - never directly behind but either side - i put it down to the accoustics of the cabin, it is that person is sitting on your shoulder dripping their inane comments into your ear, the more you think about them they louder their comments become, the more you dislike them - I used to wear foam earplugs for this reason. A couple of times (not on BA but on Flybe) I have been asked to remove them for takeoff and landing?!?! so I now have some minute travel grommet thingies that nobody can see, which allows me to drift off into sleep during taxi and takeoff without having to listen to some unbelievably inane nasally annoying self important twerp.
(BTW, I'm 100% sure if I could be bothered to chatter incessantly during flight then I would also be that unbelievably inane nasally self important twerp to the person in front to the left or right)
Old Apr 17, 2014, 8:15 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by HKGorBust
I do love my phone jammer - the best Ł70 I have ever spent. Hello.... Hello.... Are you still there?
As much as I can understand the personal satisfaction using these devices I think you should also consider the bigger picture.

These illegal devices affects everyone in the vicinity and even 'short range' ones impacts on any on other communications going on including other passengers who may be having very important discussions, or with family and potentially staff. I can't say I'd agree with your actions at all.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by HighLife
Worst walker talker I have ever encountered is Jeremy Clarkson in the CCR. I moved onto the terrace he annoyed me so much.
His presence alone would be enough to make me move
Old Apr 17, 2014, 10:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by PETER01
As much as I can understand the personal satisfaction using these devices I think you should also consider the bigger picture.

These illegal devices affects everyone in the vicinity and even 'short range' ones impacts on any on other communications going on including other passengers who may be having very important discussions, or with family and potentially staff. I can't say I'd agree with your actions at all.
Once again, you assume I use it in countries where it is illegal. I am well aware of the bigger picture.....
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:32 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

I do love my phone jammer - the best Ł70 I have ever spent. Hello.... Hello.... Are you still there?

Once again, you assume I use it in countries where it is illegal. I am well aware of the bigger picture.....
Even assuming you are using it where it is legal I don't think you have the right to end everyone else's calls etc. unless it's for official work/military/security reasons and not just to satisfy anyone's pleasure of ending a loud persons telephone call. Your first post is not clear in that respect but that's your business if that is the case.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 1:15 pm

Programs: ASLEF
Even assuming you are using it where it is legal I don't think you have the right to end everyone else's calls etc. unless it's for official work/military/security reasons and not just to satisfy anyone's pleasure of ending a loud persons telephone call. Your first post is not clear in that respect but that's your business if that is the case.
I emplore anyone who has one of these devices to NEVER use it on or near train.

The railway is gradually moving over to GSM-R as the method of communication between driver and signaller/electrical control room. If you've 'jammed' our method of communication in an emergency because you can't cope with a Walker-Talker in the quiet coach and something bad happens, then you deserve for the book to be thrown at you.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 1:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
A chum of mine listens for any useful info - email address, mobile number etc that the talker gives out and then emails/texts them to shut up. Seems to work pretty well, when I've seen him do it.

The talker generally does a complete spin around the room to see who might have done it, but since there are often quite a few annoyed folk glaring his (and it is almost always a man - why is that?) way.
I don't believe this happens at all
Old Apr 17, 2014, 1:40 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci

+1
Old Oct 23, 2018, 3:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I'm in the CX lounge at LHR at present and there's one having a loud conversation. Really feel like having a louder sarcastic conversation next to him.
Shame it's completely uninteresting as in no sensitive info being divulged as that would give me more to talk about.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 3:16 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by xenole
I'm in the CX lounge at LHR at present and there's one having a loud conversation. Really feel like having a louder sarcastic conversation next to him.
Shame it's completely uninteresting as in no sensitive info being divulged as that would give me more to talk about.
How annoying. Maybe a quick out loud burst from the chorus of "Thine be the glory"? He will then say "excuse me", and you can reply likewise.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 3:31 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by TrainDriverSparky
I emplore anyone who has one of these devices to NEVER use it on or near train.

The railway is gradually moving over to GSM-R as the method of communication between driver and signaller/electrical control room. If you've 'jammed' our method of communication in an emergency because you can't cope with a Walker-Talker in the quiet coach and something bad happens, then you deserve for the book to be thrown at you.
Might be an idea to avoid using them on Planes as well.
TrainDriverSparky likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.