Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Walker talker alert LGW Flounge

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2014, 3:25 am

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
In Larnaca lounge there was a man walking around with his laptop using a skype connection. He was "showing" the other person around the lounge bit by bit and explaining everything loudly in great detail.

"Look! This is the red wine. They have othello which is a dry red from Cyprus and this is another red called.............etc". After ten mimutes going through every beverage he moved on to the newspapers & magazines.

I was too enthralled to be annoyed.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 3:31 am

Programs: BA GGL & LTG, EK Silver, HHonors Lifetime Diamond; Proudly Mucci Free - total nonsense
sounds like he was doing a trip report
Old Apr 17, 2014, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Not in a lounge and not on a phone, but recently I was having lunch outside somewhere and a guy was having a job interview with a woman. He was sat almost 10 meters away but I could hear every word he said. He was tooting his own horn like you would not believe and divulging many 'secrets' about his current employer as well. Bad mouthing them too.

After 10 minutes I had enough and I got up, set down at their table and mentioned that I worked for his current employer's competitor (not true, but hey...) and that I was extremely grateful for the information he broadcasted. I then congratulated the girl he was having the interview with on finding someone who would be so vocal about his achievements in his new employ...

Not sure how the interview ended but they left after another 5 minutes.

I know. I'm bad.

justin_krusty likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by henkybaby
Did you trip them up on their way out?
Old Apr 17, 2014, 3:51 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Best Walker Talker encounter I ever had was a very sharp looking older lady in the CCR pacing back and forth on the terrace. It became clear that she was speaking to her university aged son, and I'll never forget her telling him, "Well, Her Majesty The Queen is adamant that you must attend medical school. She has promised to help you find a position when you graduate, and has demanded that I report back on your decision when next we take tea together."

I figured holding my peace was the best bet in that case.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 3:58 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA LTG/GGL/CCR, AF PLAT, ETHIHAD AND LH USELESS PLASTIC
Worst walker talker I have ever encountered is Jeremy Clarkson in the CCR. I moved onto the terrace he annoyed me so much.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 4:12 am

Programs: BA Silver
[QUOTE=henkybaby;22718104]Not in a lounge and not on a phone, but recently I was having lunch outside somewhere and a guy was having a job interview with a woman. He was sat almost 10 meters away but I could hear every word he said. He was tooting his own horn like you would not believe and divulging many 'secrets' about his current employer as well. Bad mouthing them too.

Brilliant!
Old Apr 17, 2014, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by henkybaby
Not in a lounge and not on a phone, but recently I was having lunch outside somewhere and a guy was having a job interview with a woman. He was sat almost 10 meters away but I could hear every word he said. He was tooting his own horn like you would not believe and divulging many 'secrets' about his current employer as well. Bad mouthing them too.

After 10 minutes I had enough and I got up, set down at their table and mentioned that I worked for his current employer's competitor (not true, but hey...) and that I was extremely grateful for the information he broadcasted. I then congratulated the girl he was having the interview with on finding someone who would be so vocal about his achievements in his new employ...

I know. I'm bad.

^ Excellent.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 5:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, Skywards, Hilton Honors and lots of other under-utilised Hotel Schemes
Originally Posted by IMH
"Dave? Hi. It's gate4lounge calling from the lounge at Gatwick. Listen, there's a bloke in here on the phone to someone about that tamping wopples deal. It sounds as though the other party is extremely happy with the price our client's agreed to [pay/accept], so we may want to get that reviewed. Could you let Jen know? The guy sounds like a complete plonker, so he might well be talking out of his ****, but it's probably best to check it out just in case."
My Dad made Ł20k on the back of an overhead conversation about a takeover on a train out of Marylebone once (I think the man had assumed said carriage was empty).

How about a thread based (similar I think to one they run in Time Out in London) of the most absurd snippets of conversation heard in BA premises? Current recent favourite is "what's auto-erotic about an artichoke?" heard a couple of weeks ago on my way to Eat in T5. Was seriously tempted to stalk.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 5:23 am

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
Originally Posted by johnashw
My Dad made Ł20k on the back of an overhead conversation about a takeover on a train out of Marylebone once (I think the man had assumed said carriage was empty).

How about a thread based (similar I think to one they run in Time Out in London) of the most absurd snippets of conversation heard in BA premises? Current recent favourite is "what's auto-erotic about an artichoke?" heard a couple of weeks ago on my way to Eat in T5. Was seriously tempted to stalk.
You'd better delete the bit about your Dad. Seriously illegal.

Also...are you sure in these shady grey days it wasn't an arty choke?
Old Apr 17, 2014, 5:48 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
I will always give the benefit of the doubt and try to move away if I get annoyed. A guy was talking on the phone in the Spa, the staff asked him to be quiet but he refused and stopped his massage and walked off.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 5:56 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by bullroot
you're describing the old school equivalent of a 100-posts-a-day forum poster

you do sometimes read these sorts of threads and think 'pot / kettle', don't you ?
Old Apr 17, 2014, 6:14 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by bullroot
sounds like he was doing a trip report
That's taking the live trip reports to the extreme...
Old Apr 17, 2014, 6:44 am

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
It's a good job that mt WT isn't in the Flounge at LGW at the moment as he'd be tripped up by all the luggage everywhere. It is rather busy.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:16 am

Programs: BA Silver, AClub Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Silver, SPG, others
Definitely one of my pet hates. I don't think I've ever taken a call in a lounge and if I absolutely have to do it on the train, I go to the vestibule area, whether I'm in a quiet carriage or not.

I sometimes want to shout at people "Just because your phone rings, what makes you think you have to answer it?"

I also dislike loud conversations. The worst place for them is on an early morning flight when trying to sleep. Maybe I'm just antisocial but I don't have a single colleague I would want to sit beside on a plane at 6am and have a chat (and it's usually colleagues).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.