2 BA tickets - no connection protection?

Old Apr 15, 14, 5:51 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Flatland
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Posts: 5,774
2 BA tickets - no connection protection?

So, I'm going from London to Stockholm then directly to Beijing. Our corporate travel agents ignored my recommendation to book a (cheaper) LHR-ARN followed by ARN-(LHR)-PEK-LHR and instead booked me an LHR-ARN-LHR return (in ET) and an LHR-PEK-LHR (in CW). All on BA.

The timings are LHR-ARN (two days in Stockholm) ARN-LHR-PEK (week in Beijing) PEK-LHR. The connection time in LHR is 2h40m so it meets the LHR MCT.

I am expecting BA in Stockholm to be able to check my bags through to PEK since it's all operated and marketed by BA.

Am I right to think that I don't have any protection against a misconnect in LHR, because there are two separate tickets?

In practice, what does BA tend to do in such situation if you grovel - does anyone have any experience?

I already checked what the later OneWorld options are in case it all goes wrong
flatlander is offline  
Old Apr 15, 14, 6:00 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: LHR
Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Posts: 8,665
2 hr 40 mins sounds like plenty of time.

At LHR, if you are delayed in-bound, BA will put you on the next available BA flight even though there is no protection.

BA are unlike to put you on another airline, OW or otherwise.
I'm surprise, you didnt take Finnair via Helsinki to Beijing. Must be faster.
KenJohn is offline  
Old Apr 15, 14, 6:05 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: BA214
Programs: Gold Mega Legend
Posts: 390
Originally Posted by KenJohn View Post
2 hr 40 mins sounds like plenty of time.

At LHR, if you are delayed in-bound, BA may put you on the next available BA flight even though there is no protection.
Fixed that for you
revan is offline  
Old Apr 15, 14, 6:10 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Flatland
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Posts: 5,774
Originally Posted by KenJohn View Post
I'm surprise, you didnt take Finnair via Helsinki to Beijing. Must be faster.
This put me off them. I know I'm likely to get the new seats on AY HEL-PEK but I prefer the CW I know in this case where I must get some rest on the flight.

Good news that BA offer misconnect protection even on separate tickets - previous reading made me think they did not. Is this strictly only for connections through LHR?

Thanks for the help.
flatlander is offline  
Old Apr 15, 14, 6:35 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Near Edinburgh
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 9,034
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
Good news that BA offer misconnect protection even on separate tickets - previous reading made me think they did not. Is this strictly only for connections through LHR?
BA do not officially offer misconnect protection for separate tickets, but anecdotal evidence is that they will usually help. You're at the mercy of the agent dealing with your request, however.
Paralytic is offline  
Old Apr 15, 14, 6:54 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Flatland
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Posts: 5,774
Originally Posted by Paralytic View Post
BA do not officially offer misconnect protection for separate tickets, but anecdotal evidence is that they will usually help. You're at the mercy of the agent dealing with your request, however.
Aye, that's what I thought.

Ultimately it won't be me footing the bill if the response is demonic laughter from under the counter and an offer of purchasing a ticket at the walk-up fare for the next flight - fortunately!
flatlander is offline  
Old Apr 15, 14, 7:25 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Seat 1A when possible
Programs: SK EBD/baEC G/MR PP/A3 *G/AA G/CC G/HH G/IHG Spire
Posts: 4,437
Cool

Edit: seems like I was misinformed sorry disregard

Last edited by kauppias; Apr 15, 14 at 7:48 am Reason: Misinformation
kauppias is offline  
Old Apr 15, 14, 7:50 am
  #8  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 48,111
There are threads on FT of varying experiences. There is no protection of any kind between separate tickets and EC 261/2004 would not apply to any delay beyond LHR on the change between itineraries.

You are entirely at the mercy of the individual BA agent you draw as to whether they rebook you, if they charge you and so on. Reports here are that you would most often be acommodated on the next available flight at your option in CW or below (your choice to wait for CW if that's what it takes).

The issue here is not MCT (does not apply because that is simply a given carrier's willingness to accept the risks of a misconnect) or practicalities (2:40 is plenty), but delays.

Presume that if this gets screwed up, you are on business travel and that your corporate TA will fix this rather than having you in the middle.
Often1 is offline  
Old Apr 15, 14, 7:55 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: MAN and LON
Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IC RA, Kimpton Inner Circle, Amex Plat
Posts: 13,721
BA have always been pretty good in looking after me when connecting from separate itineraries for what it is worth.
Land-of-Miles is offline  
Old Apr 15, 14, 8:19 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Munich, Algarve, Sussex or S.F Bay Area
Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Posts: 3,188
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
Our corporate travel agents ignored my recommendation to book a (cheaper) LHR-ARN followed by ARN-(LHR)-PEK-LHR and instead booked me an LHR-ARN-LHR return (in ET) and an LHR-PEK-LHR (in CW). All on BA.
This is unfortunately so often the case. I would price out your option on ba.com and pass it to your management with a recommendation to change the corporate TA. The reason for forcing all travel via a specific TA is to save costs and not overpay. The ex-EU itinery would certainly have been cheaper as well as ensuring EU261 protection in the case of IRROPS. You are also unnecessarily paying APD.

Last edited by Tafflyer; Apr 15, 14 at 8:47 am Reason: typo
Tafflyer is online now  
Old Apr 15, 14, 8:21 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: UK
Programs: BAEC
Posts: 448
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles View Post
BA have always been pretty good in looking after me when connecting from separate itineraries for what it is worth.
As a GGL, I would expect nothing less.
flieduk is offline  
Old Apr 15, 14, 9:14 am
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Flatland
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Posts: 5,774
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
There are threads on FT of varying experiences. There is no protection of any kind between separate tickets and EC 261/2004 would not apply to any delay beyond LHR on the change between itineraries.

You are entirely at the mercy of the individual BA agent ...
The issue here is not MCT (does not apply because that is simply a given carrier's willingness to accept the risks of a misconnect) or practicalities (2:40 is plenty), but delays.

Presume that if this gets screwed up, you are on business travel and that your corporate TA will fix this rather than having you in the middle.
Indeed, MCT has no bearing, I only mentioned it to illustrate I'm not trying to do the impossible or even the rather dodgy. It's all about delays as you say.

In the end the corporate TA and admin people will sort it out, but not without some effort on my part, I'm sure. Not least because it could seriously cost them. In the end this is likely to go fine, but this info (from all contributors) is useful for my upcoming discussion with the travel manager.
flatlander is offline  
Old Apr 15, 14, 9:41 am
  #13  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 46,036
Are you sure it is 2 separate tickets? A half decent travel agent could ticket this quite readily, with mixed classes, on one ticket. In fact unless there was a really odd combinability issue (HBO ticket?) it's more work for them to separately ticket. If it was one ticket the clearly there would be no issue. Most travel agents would only split a reservation like this after the client had been very clear advice as to the dangers, since the TA would not want to be held responsible for a last minute J ticket had to be issued. If it is two I'd wonder about the agent's competencies.

As it happens, I agree that if there was a problem you would almost certainly be accommodated on the next flight if there was space, perhaps initially on a standby basis if you are Emerald (though the BA Blue may impress them more...). This is more likely at Flight Connections airside, particularly if you can argue that BA should have run the incoming service on time, so don't go out for a cigarette when you arrive in London! Landside would be less forgiving. And you are correct about MCT, if the connection was below MCT then the agent is far more likely to tell you to get on your bike.
corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Old Apr 15, 14, 10:21 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: London
Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Posts: 2,823
Originally Posted by Paralytic View Post
BA do not officially offer misconnect protection for separate tickets, but anecdotal evidence is that they will usually help. You're at the mercy of the agent dealing with your request, however.
I have yet to see a case on FT where someone has not been protected in this situation. AA has a published policy for protecting people on separate tickets, and I think it very likely that BA has the same policy, but does not publish it. So there is no evidence that it is just at the whim of the agent.

And MCT is relevant, as it is unlikely that an internal policy would protect anyone missing a connection that had less than MCT.
nbevan is offline  
Old Apr 15, 14, 10:36 am
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: London
Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK
Posts: 13,255
Originally Posted by flieduk View Post
As a GGL, I would expect nothing less.
Only happened once to me, but BA simply popped me on the next flight, quite routinely, no comments.
IAN-UK is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: