Wiki Posts
Search

BA to introduce Fish and Chips to SH menu

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2014, 4:13 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by PeasantGate
LGW will get the afternoon chip butty instead!
Potato fritter?
Old Apr 16, 2014, 4:19 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by themapelligroup

I have a few JL domestic flights coming up, if I recall correctly they now offer McDonald onboard. I'll surely eat before my flight...
There is no food served on JL domestic flights unless you are in F.
There is definitely no McDonald food in sight (I think you may be thinking of KFC being served in Y on some international routes but it's only on offer on a temporary basis).

Either way, definitely eat before your flight unless you are flying Domestic First because you will not get any food. Remember there is effectively no food at JL domestic lounges either, unless you call crackers "food". You may also occasionally see some sandwiches which will make BA CE Afternoon Tea ones look positively gigantic. But nothing on board. You will, however, be given a reasonable snack or a meal in domestic F.

There is also no alcohol served on JL domestic flights unless you are in F.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 5:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, LH FT, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
(I think you may be thinking of KFC being served in Y on some international routes but it's only on offer on a temporary basis).
Don't forget the occasional Mos Burger promo!
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
There is also no alcohol served on JL domestic flights unless you are in F.
Even in domestic J?

May have to cancel a booking...
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:36 am

Any issues with the smell permeating the cabin?
Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I took the 9:40 flight to KBP this morning where they served this, what follows is my frequent leisure traveller review which I typed mid-flight, you can tell I was bored

I will set the benchmark as being my local chippy 'The Catch' in Chiswick, which I would give an 8/10 for both the fish and chips - the best chippy I've tried personally. Grades 9 and 10 being reserved for what I'd expect in high end restaurants.

To allay any fears as the pictures show it does come with other things - Jacob's cracker x2, block of cheddar, bread, butter, a side salad (no meat) with a sachet of French dressing etc. You got three sauces to go with the main meal - brown, ketchup and tartare sauce - no vinegar which I thought a bit odd if BA are trying to imbue a sense of Britishness with this meal option!

The flip top box it comes in provides a bit of novelty and makes a nice change from the foil. I like that you can just dump all your rubbish and bits of free flowing cellophane inside the box and neatly close it - I've got a bit of an OCD about stuff just laying all over the tray in no fixed manner! .

On opening I was greeted with (and wasn't expecting otherwise) something that didn't resemble the image in the OPs business traveller link, so set your expectations to Mcdonalds poster burger vs reality. The 'smell' wasn't strong at all and did not permeate the cabin, even though there were a few people around me that chose it too. The other meal option on offer was a cold chicken salad btw. Note in images the claim to having used lightly seasoned, special selected potatoes (perhaps my palate isn't as distinguished as others to pick this up) and BBE date - in case you are wondering how fresh or how it is prepared.

I counted 13 chips in total and there were 2 pieces of fish as per original picture. The chips themselves were nothing special, slightly greasier than McCains, a bit stumpier, and they had the consistency such that if you stuck your fork in you had equal third chances of it either staying attached, slipping off, or disintegrating if there was any friction present. The cod/cod batter had an average amount of grease, I'd compare it to the residual amount left if oven baking similar frozen variants, so it was OK in that regard. It was about 15% crispy and 85% soft, the cod wasn't that flaky and it had a vague fish taste, not quite fishcake fishy, but definitely not neutral fresh flaky cod fishy.

My verdict is... 5/10 for both the fish and the chips - it's comparable to what you'd expect to get in school. If this was my first foray into eating this British classic I probably wouldn't giving it a second chance from a real chippy any time soon. I would even say the 'other' fish and chip (or large potato chunks - can't recall) meal that BA serve sometimes on this route is similar/just as nice - does anyone know which meal I mean?

Between this and the sausage/egg/mushroom combo with the meat/cheese salad, if given the option, I'd pick the latter 8 times out of 10. If this was served in CE I would definitely be disappointed. Having said that though I still much MUCH prefer all of BA's offering to UIAs.', hopefully this review didn't sound entirely critical

Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:40 am

Programs: BA Silver
Thanks for that. A measly number of chips, but looks more like the marketing picture than I thought.

We really need a "How many chips did you get?" thread though.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Randeep
I took the 9:40 flight to KBP this morning where they served this, what follows is my frequent leisure traveller review which I typed mid-flight, you can tell I was bored
^^ Very interesting.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I foresee chip counting taking precedence in the "Rant Thread"

Nice "F&C TR", Randeep ... ^
Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Looks okay. ^

Personally speaking I always eat fish n chips without using cutlery.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Looks okay. ^

Personally speaking I always eat fish n chips without using cutlery.
Chips perhaps but fish?? Do you just break the fish apart with your hands? Stuff the whole thing in at once??

Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Randeep
My verdict is... 5/10 for both the fish and the chips - it's comparable to what you'd expect to get in school. If this was my first foray into eating this British classic I probably wouldn't giving it a second chance from a real chippy any time soon.

Thanks for the pics. It is exactly as I expected. Fish & Chips are best fresh out of a local chip shop. I personally wouldn't like this on one of my ATH flights !
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELLAS
Thanks for the pics. It is exactly as I expected. Fish & Chips are best fresh out of a local chip shop. I personally wouldn't like this on one of my ATH flights !
Can you really name a meal where you've thought, "This is good but it would taste much better if it was served on an aircraft?"
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:27 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by Calchas
Can you really name a meal where you've thought, "This is good but it would taste much better if it was served on an aircraft?"
Does eating at work whilst wishing you were elsewhere count?

Thanks for the report Randeep, it doesn't sound like it was a total disaster anyway.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Calchas
Chips perhaps but fish?? Do you just break the fish apart with your hands? Stuff the whole thing in at once??

Just break it up with my fingers. Even when I make it at home I don't use cutlery. Get some weird looks from the missus though.

I can only get merluza (hake) here which is okay. I wonder what type of fish you get on BA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.