Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA to introduce Fish and Chips to SH menu

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2014, 6:09 am

Programs: HH D,CC,SPG,AZ: Gold;BA Silver, TK Elite
hmmm...I remember that Yorkshire Airlines tried to introduce it on their route :-)
Old Apr 14, 2014, 6:10 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
How on earth do you get batter and chips to stay crisp in an oven that can fill with steam? I want to be proved wrong but I'm not sure that this can be done well.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 6:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
For some reason there aren't so many Brits on the Kiev services at the moment (and they cancelled this morning's early service), so I'm not sure what Ukrainians are going to make of this. The later flight leaves around 09:50, and so it seems odd to serve that at 10:30 am BST. I certainly like the idea of it, full marks for having a trial of it. I have a Kiev coming up in the next few days, albeit it appears I'm in the inappropriate class of travel.....
I remember once watching a cookery programme in Lviv where the host demonstrated and explained in Ukrainain how to make fish and chips with mushy peas!!! It was showing its audience exotic and typically British food.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 6:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by shefgab
That's what I was thinking...might make the cabin smell awful!
First thing that came to my mind too. Sounds like an April Fool joke
Old Apr 14, 2014, 6:16 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
I am off to London for the weekend with the hubby for my birthday celebration, and we're in ET - I would love to try it (and I am Ukrainian).
Old Apr 14, 2014, 6:22 am

Programs: ABBA
I have Kiev wanting me to go out, but struggling to fit it in with other commitments. I don't know how others do it.

However an 09:50 departure is really an 11:50 departure Kiev time. Lunch of Fish and Chips at 12:30 makes perfect sense to me.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 6:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
For some reason there aren't so many Brits on the Kiev services at the moment (and they cancelled this morning's early service), so I'm not sure what Ukrainians are going to make of this. The later flight leaves around 09:50, and so it seems odd to serve that at 10:30 am BST. I certainly like the idea of it, full marks for having a trial of it. I have a Kiev coming up in the next few days, albeit it appears I'm in the inappropriate class of travel.....

Hi corporate-wage-slave, two questions.

1) do you know why they cancelled the early morning flight? I'm asking because I have a connecting flight on Emirates from KBP to BKK via DXB later on Wednesday on separate tickets and the way you phrased it it makes it sounds like they cancelled "just because" !
2) being a bit forward here but are you by any chance taking the later flight on Wednesday, if so would you be so kind to be able to guest me into a lounge?

Regardless I hope this is served this Wednesday - look forward to it.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 6:50 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Randeep
Regardless I hope this is served this Wednesday - look forward to it.
I can't help on Wednesday, I'm afraid, I'm not in LHR that day, but there's no harm in asking. And I've got no insight about the cancellation, other than that I don't think they are down on equipment, so it looks like a crew shortage, but that's a pure guess on my part. There's 2 flights today so it's easier than if there is just the one. Hope you get your fish lunch at least, don't forget to let us know what you make of it.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 6:51 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by nivsy
The picture at start of thread shows two bits of fish with "succulent lightly coated batter" - bet that is rather ambitious esp for BA when it rolls out.......
Well I have talked to crew that have tried it and it was apparently very crispy.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 7:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
How on earth do you get batter and chips to stay crisp in an oven that can fill with steam? I want to be proved wrong but I'm not sure that this can be done well.
Trust you to be worrying about it being floppy.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 7:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
On a slight tangent, how different is the food in CE and ET on Band 4 flights?

Is the ET option also offered in CE but plated more nicely or are all meal options different.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 7:09 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Silver, Thameslink Delay Repay
Originally Posted by KenJohn

Is the ET option also offered in CE but plated more nicely or are all meal options different.
They are definitely different (but then again I haven't done a Band 4 down the back in a while).
Old Apr 14, 2014, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
That's my first thought. Will it be something that varies in quality depending on the crew and how busy they are?

Originally Posted by Littlegirl
Well I have talked to crew that have tried it and it was apparently very crispy.
I hope you're right - was it tested under the same conditions? If they showed off this meal on the ground it's easier to get right.

If it works well it might be another instance of ET catering being, in some peoples eyes, better than CE. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ite-while.html
Old Apr 14, 2014, 7:21 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond

The meals are definitely different.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 7:21 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways

No, they are very different.

Both are generally nice but the CE food is definitely a much more premium product than the ET product in the same way that CW is to WT food.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.