Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

A380 to JNB | a few images of the CW UD experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2014, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

I flew flight BA55 from LHR to JNB on 22/Mar/14 in seat 58K. This was my first experience on the A380 so I took a few shots to capture the moment and am sharing them here for your enjoyment and information.

Baggage wrapping

Due to a relatively high frequency of irregularities in the baggage handling process at JNB the Foreign Office recommends that passengers shrink wrap their luggage. At T5 this can be taken care of by the Excess Baggage Company, who have facilities at the north end or in the middle of the terminal at departures level.

This service costs GBP 10.00 including VAT and takes only a few minutes. The staff put your bag on a machine which wraps the bag through feeding plastic sheets onto a rotating mount. With my bag suitably wrapped I was ready to go:

Departure

Departure was from the C gates so after a trip to the Galleries North I headed over there to find G-XLEC waiting for me. Note the three air bridges - one going to the main deck's door 1 for the F passengers, another to the main deck's door 2 and a third to the upper deck:

Cabin & seat

Obligatory leg room shot - note the slightly different materials that comprise the CW seat shell:

The back of the seat is whiter than before, but with a certain amount of depth as the material has a design with criss-crossing ridges. Other parts of the seat are dark grey, which gives the cabin a warmer feel than before. There is still a handy jacket hook on the back of the seat in front.

The control panel is slightly different to before, containing a button to raise or lower the privacy screen (there is still a screen button on the top of the seat) but no buttons to fine tune the seat either forward or back. The buttons are raised and backlit during the dark stages of the flight. As before the flat bed, Z, TTL and dining position buttons are not presets and have to be pressed continually to reach the final position:

I noted that the headrest inflated much faster than in the older CW seat.

The IFEC controls and ports are much the same as on other equipment with the latest IFEC (see my report):

The placards are slightly different than before, incorporating a no smoking sign:

The carpet and seat upholstery are more grey/brown in line with the seat shell rather than navy blue in the older cabins:

The side bins have a noticeable slope in them and did not seem to be as big as the 747's:

Staircases

The stairs to the F cabin on the main deck are roped off at the bottom:

There is a handy placard telling us just how to behave on the stairs, no doubt for our safety...:

I thought that the view up the stairs was quite cool:

The BA logo at the top was quite nice:

As was the subtle design on the monument:

The spiral staircase at the back was gated so BA are evidently not keen on passengers moving between the decks.

Large forward lavatory

The A380 is famed for it's large forward lavatories. Here is BA's facility:

IFEC

The side bins are large enough to stow analogue and movable IFEC:

The screen is extremely clear, much like with the latest systems installed on selected 777 aircraft:

The moving map is interactive and informative:

Amenities

BA's latest amenity kit bag seems rather large for it's contents. I liked the design incorporating lotion bottles into a London cityscape though:

Eyeshades were offered separately. Ear plugs were not offered.

Here is the stuff that you get:

Dinner

The mushroom starter was tasty and exceeded my expectations:

The salad was standard (i.e. good):

BA were unable to accommodate my first preference request for a chicken main. The beef I had instead met my expectations. It was medium-well and the vegetables were well cooked:

The chocolate and chilli pudding was excellent, as BA's puddings always are in my experience:

On stand at JNB

It was a beautiful sunny day in JNB. Here is G-XLEC on stand:

Old Apr 13, 2014, 12:28 pm
Suspended

wow, now i want to fly that plane! very nice photos. thanks for posting them.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 12:47 pm

Great photos and very nice detail ^
Old Apr 13, 2014, 1:29 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Nice review there Sixth Freedom and thanks for posting. ^

I quite like the plain interior colours.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 1:55 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Great pictures Sixth Freedom. So glad you chose not to include photos of the overstated green exit signs at the ends of each cabin. They’re a bit of an eyesore.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 2:25 pm

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
Many thanks 6F. Interesting and very nicely done.
So ... is 58K > or < the 64K on the return?
Interested in whether 58K hears any noise from the WT+ cabin, do you recall?
Old Apr 13, 2014, 2:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Nice pictures and detailed description as always Sixth Freedom! Thank for sharing your experience.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 2:46 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
So, a BA silver not getting his choice of catering.........
Old Apr 14, 2014, 2:20 am

Thanks for this - all very interesting.

Can you remember what the air bridge set up is like at JNB - do they have any 3 air bridge equiped gates?
Old Apr 14, 2014, 2:54 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
When I flew on the inaugural A380 flight to JNB, there were only 2 airbridges, and we exited between F & CW on the lower-deck.

I was in F, along with a few BA management who seemed a little surprised by this.

I doubt it has changed much in the last 2 months, but I'll find out again in a weeks time when I'm back.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 3:08 am

Programs: BA Silver, I'm back!
Thanks for sharing Sixth Freedom ^. I am on the same flight in September.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 6:23 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Great pics.

I had to go back and check. I had thought the the new loos had an a TV screen in it. That would really hold things up if it did!!

PS. What sort of irregularities is the Home Office referring to that they recommend you wrapping you luggage?
Old Apr 14, 2014, 7:23 am

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
The beef actually looks edible~!!!
Old Apr 14, 2014, 7:28 am

Programs: BAEC
Great pictures !

Poor show running out of the chicken tho.

And, yes, I loved that chocolate tart when I had it, although I had been sceptical when I saw it on the menu.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 10:06 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Nice report and pictures! I and co booked flights to JNB in Club and a side trip to CPT next January. LHR-JNB-LHR will be onboard 380.

There was however something strange in the booking procedure informing that one of the connecting flights would end up to "different airport" and the transfer would not be included in the ticket price. We should be returning from CPT using Comair/BA 4 PM flight arriving at terminal B in JNB 6 pm to catch the LHR flight departing 8:15 PM from terminal A. Haven´t ever been there, so are there any concerns timewise with such connection? All in the same itinerary.

Best seats have been discussed elsewhere, but since these are night flights, we chose 50 A/B for both ways. Would there be any better alternatives? What might be the chances to be able to use Avios to upgrade to First? When would be the optimal time to try? MMB does not allow that now right after booking. Pricewise there was a huge difference between Club and First even ex-Finland.

Last edited by TTL; Apr 19, 2014 at 5:48 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.