Search

Flight to NCE with toddler!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2014, 3:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Eurobonus Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Smile Flight to NCE with toddler!

Hi,

Just looking for some advice. Flying LGW-NCE in CE with wife and two year old. Honestly, she's very well mannered and generally well behaved! Looks like an A319 on the way out and an A320 on the way back. I have booked 3A, 3C, 3D both ways. Does that look like a reasonable choice?
Also, I read that they have kids meals but I guess on a 13:05 flight we might just be better opting for the adult's meal as it will be some kind of lunch and possibly quite edible!
Any advice would be welcome!

Thanks
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I would take 3C, 3D and 3F so that you can sit her between you in 3E if needed.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Thanks, I'll change that then. Would that not work with 3A, 3C and 3D? I am guessing there is a slightly different set up on that side? Should I do that for the rtn flight too? Thanks for the help!

Last edited by waribai; Mar 31, 2014 at 4:18 am Reason: additional information
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by waribai
Thanks, I'll change that then. Would that not work with 3A, 3C and 3D? I am guessing there is a slightly different set up on that side?
the middle seat between A and C is very narrow, even for a toddler
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Correct, the A,C,D,E,F seats are all the same width but the E seat is left vacant, the B seat is compressed so smaller.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They don't really like customers using the E seat so start off with leaving it vacant but it's there if she plays up.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Ok, I will heed those points. Thanks for the advice. It is much appreciated!
Old Mar 31, 2014, 5:37 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Were taking a 6 month old away in June on an A320 and plumped for 2D and F for us three for the same reason, larger space between might become useful!
Old Mar 31, 2014, 6:01 am

Programs: BA Silver, PR Elite, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Diamond Ambassador
Brings back memories of doing that with an 8 month old back 22 years ago on the Nice route.

On the return journey they sold the middle seat, so some poor guy on business was stuck between us- with a somewhat lively child to contend with. It worked out well. She was a lively but very quiet child. She wouldn't sit still ever.. but she spent most of the journey on the floor almost under the seat playing with a small soft toy - eating olives!

My other memory was the prawn salad dish - I didn't think anything could be so cold and not be frozen.

Enjoy the trip - the South of France was a bit cheaper for Brits in those days.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 6:13 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
A responsible parent should take 3D, 3F and 2F, so that when said toddler starts kicking the seat in front ......
Old Mar 31, 2014, 10:40 am

Programs: BA Silver, SAS EB Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond, Starwood Gold, Accor Silver
On the special meal for children, I have ordered it once or twice for mine. It usually consists of a few plain crustless finger sandwiches (cheese/turkey/ham/similar), fruit shoot, m&ms, a packet of cheesy biscuits and a yoghurt. Might be worth thinking whether that's a better offering for your daughter versus (potentially) a prawn salad or similar. Quite often, I take some extra food for them anyway, just in case they don't like what's on offer.

I have also found myself seat shifted fairly regularly when travelling CE with my children - but mostly with baby due to the situation with oxygen masks (although this shouldn't really be an issue in CE given nobody in the middle.) When we only had the one, we did all sit on the right side and nobody was bothered although I have also heard tales of some crews not liking that.

If you get an ex-BMI A319/20, the armrests also fold up in club, providing a nice CE "flat bed" experience for the smaller traveller requiring a nap

Enjoy.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Correct, the A,C,D,E,F seats are all the same width but the E seat is left vacant, the B seat is compressed so smaller.
The A319 on the way out should be ex-bmi, therefore the B and E seats will be the same size.

The A320 on the way back could be ex-bmi, normal BA, or even one of the new deliveries (any news on these?), therefore it's best to go for the E seat if possible.

That said I would sit on the right approaching NCE for beautiful views, if the wind is in your favour!
Old Mar 31, 2014, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the useful tips. Slightly disappointed to hear that we will only be probably getting a prawn salad for lunch though! I guess we'll have to stock up in the lounge. Although last time I was in the F lounge of LGW there was nto much food on offer!
Old Mar 31, 2014, 3:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by sph77
It usually consists of a few plain crustless finger sandwiches (cheese/turkey/ham/similar), fruit shoot, m&ms, a packet of cheesy biscuits and a yoghurt.
I'd be happy with that and I'm over 40!
Old Apr 2, 2014, 11:10 am

Programs: BA Gold (2x Concorde-ian),AA EXP; HHonors Diamond,Marriott Plat,Starwood Plat
Flight to NCE with toddler!

Flew a few times between LHR/LGW and NCE and ORY in CE with my daughter. I purposefully tend to book flights that are not full in CE. When she was 2.5mo we kept the car seat in the E seat between C and F. When it's just me and daughter (last week we flew to and from ORY and she is 20mo) we had the whole row 3 D-F to ourselves.

She played mostly in the middle seat and was happy and well-behaved as always. I always ask crew if it's OK to change her diapers in-seat as opposed to in-the-lav where space is tight and never had problems.

She didn't like the semi-skim milk nor the cassis bottled juice (which I found tasty and not too sweet).

On all flights to/from NCE we were allowed to keep the umbrella stroller in the overhead (as well as car seat during take-off and landing). Not allowed on the flights to/from ORY last week (stroller was returned at side conveyor at ORY and forced to check it in as gate-side pickup on the return).

Our next daddy-daughter trip from BOS via LHR to NCE is in June when she will be almost 2. We'll see how she handles the daily trans-con flight and late evening NCE arr. Return will be in the early afternoon (preferred time for a toddler nap).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.