Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Critique my plans for my first BA experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Critique my plans for my first BA experience

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2014, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
I love the Natural History Museum, it's one of the finest anywhere on Earth. It's a wonderful visit for any adult or child with almost any level of interest in the sciences.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 11:19 pm

Be warned that the NHM can get very busy in UK school hols. We tried to go in Feb but the queue was nearly 2 hours (went to the science museum instead!)
Old Apr 3, 2014, 3:51 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by thom1033
Thanks. How would you rate the EK LHR lounge compared to CX/BA? I'm interested to see the DXB lounge too! I've read your TR twice now and will likely review it one or two more times prior to the trip, lol.

Chauffer drive already booked both directions. I was impressed it allowed me to use it to get to MEL on the way home as I'm travelling MEL-SYD-DFW-LIT the trip home.

I'm in 2A for both the BA 777 and the QF A380. I snagged 5B for the QF 747 on the way home, which appears to be a good single seat.
The EK lounge in T3 LHR is quite nice and had a lot of food options. I didn't stay long as there were too many ferral children running around. I decamped quickly to the CX lounge that was a haven of calm.

In MEL after exiting to airside the QF drivers all hover at the far right end of the arrivals area. Enjoy your QF First experience.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 4:23 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Embuexpat
I was thinking of the Grenadier in Wilton Row (Hyde Park Corner) then a stroll through the park to South Ken. But I've no idea if it's the same as it was 10-15 years ago - not much in London is.
I would think that would be perfect for the OP. The Grenadier is still a great traditional English pub (though not that easy to find) and walking distance to the Natural History Museum with a detour through Hyde Park. And Hyde Park Corner is on the Picadilly line so good access from Heathrow (avoiding the HEX).
Old Apr 3, 2014, 9:45 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by Moomba
The EK lounge in T3 LHR is quite nice and had a lot of food options. I didn't stay long as there were too many ferral children running around. I decamped quickly to the CX lounge that was a haven of calm.

In MEL after exiting to airside the QF drivers all hover at the far right end of the arrivals area. Enjoy your QF First experience.
The T3 BA galleries lounge is also quiet, and quite large. I often have a nice English breakfast there after a shower, esp. if I have a relatively long layover.
The Galleries First lounge is much less crowded than the AA Flagship lounge.
(I haven't been to the CX lounge yet, i will try that on my next transit @LHR)
Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:57 am

Fox & Hounds is great, but I'd say to pick a pub nearer South Ken and keep your movements simple.

Anglesea Arms is decent: http://www.capitalpubcompany.com/our...anglesea-arms/

Admiral Codrington too - and it's next to the Conran Shop which is quite a brilliant British design store if you want to pick up any home stuff you may not find elsewhere. Michelin House where it is located is quite a spectacle too, and has a great terrace bar.

From there you're less than 10 mins to the Piccadilly line.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 11:25 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Agreed that if you're after a pub lunch, the Grenadier would work. Sadly the pub scene is pretty dire in the area these days, many have either turned into expensive luxury accommodation or are tourist traps. The Anglesey Arms is also OK. The Swag and Tails used to be a favourite of mine with one of the best food offerings I've ever had in a pub. It was Bernie Ecclestone's pub, of F1 fame, but it shut a few years ago, a tragic loss for me!

If you want a proper pub with real character, then look no further than the Nags Head on Kinnerton Street. Posh food ain't what you go there for though, it's more of a watering hole in a quaint mews side street, hard to remember you're in central London when you're there. But it is a proper pub.

Two food places I can recommend wholeheartedly near the museums are Casa Brindisa (Spanish Tapas) and Racine (very French, British chef, awesome fillet steak).

Source: I've lived in Knightsbridge/South Ken/Chelsea for over 20 years, 12 of those on Exhibition Road, directly next door to the V&A and opposite the Natural History and Science Museums.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Diamond,
Thanks all. I'll do some research on the Anglesea Arms and the Grenadier.

Looking at Google maps, another option appeard to be the Gloucester on Sloan St? Seems like it would be somewhat on my way between the Knightsbridge station and the NHM?

If the NHM is too busy, I'll probably be pretty content to wander Hyde Park. I'll need some exercise after the flights in and in preparation for another 18+ hours of flying.

One last thing. Any beer recommendations? In the US I'm a fan of wheat beers. My go-to beers are Boulevard Wheat, Blue Moon, etc. I'm a bit boring in that regard, but that's the type of beer I'm fond of.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 3:15 pm

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Target for South Ken, that is slap bang in museumville. Don't be tempted to use the underground pedestrian walkway between the tube ticket barriers and the museums unless it's raining, it's far more picturesque and appealling above ground.

South Ken is on the Piccadilly line straight to and from LHR.

While you can take the Heathrow Express, it's a 30min walk from Paddington to the museums. It's a pleasant walk, right through the median between Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens, I've done that walk many times, but it's easy to get lost at the Paddington end if you don't know, the grid street system doesn't quite exist in the same way as the US, if at all.

Sloane Square would mean a change to the District Line, so probably avoid unless you like complication.

Sloane Sq, Knightsbridge and Gloucester Rd stations all surround South Ken, and are all about ten mins walk from South Ken, so I'd make South Ken your hub.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.