Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread is to help BAEC members use US Airways for travelling, earning and redeeming Avios. Your comments are welcome.

One obvious resource for more information about US Airways is their main Flyertalk presence, which is to be found here:
US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Merger)

The US Airways website:
http://www.usairways.com/default.aspx

The US Airways UK website - this allows you to pay in GBP, therefore avoiding currency conversion fees. Note that if you are a BA Amex PP cardholder you can also book via BAEC by telephone to get more Avios, however there may be a service fee.
http://www.usairways.com/en-UK/default.html
Print Wikipost

US Airways - your BA Executive Club guide

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2014, 10:03 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by nobbyclark
This is probably an old bug or feature, but I've only just noticed it: if I search for a redemption flight (say, EDI-PHL), the system tells me that there are no direct BA flights but then lists the US Airways direct flight and allows me to select it. All lovely. However, if I search for a revenue flight on the same route, it only offers BA flights with connections via LHR and there is no mention of partner carriers.
This is not a bug, but a feature. BA.com will never (or almost) display another carriers flight when either a BA flight or code share is available. That's why you can only book AA flights with BA codes. Presumably, US will join the JV and US operated flights will carry BA codes. This will all take a little while.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 10:50 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Just booked PHL-MCO one ways using Avios. I seemed to have hit a snafu though.

One Account:
  • Avios+Cash
  • Used Chase Credit Card
  • Received an E-Mail with the BA PNR and US Ticket Number
  • British Airway's Manage my booking shows the US PNR
  • Everything looks good using the BA PNR, US Ticket #, or US PNR
  • Can change seats

Other Account:
  • Avios only
  • Used a Citi Credit Card
  • Received E-Mail with BA PNR and US Ticket Number
  • Everything looks good using the BA PNR
  • British Airway's Manage my booking shows the US PNR
The US ticket number "is not valid" when I enter it on US's site. Using the US PNR works, but it is missing the ticket # and "$2.50 Charged to Visa 1234". It isn't an encouraging sign. I even called Citi to make sure the $2.50 charge was approved, and it was.

I did not book them at the exact same time. There were 2 reward seats available. I booked the first one, then the second one where the site confirmed "Only 1 award seat left."

Maybe Citi is just slower to authorized than Chase? and thus slower to ticket.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by airb330
The US ticket number "is not valid" when I enter it on US's site.
Is it a ticket number starting with 125? If so, that's a BA ticket and that may be why the US site doesn't recognise it.

If you take the BA PNR to classic.checkmytrip.com, can you see the ticket number, and an e-ticket receipt tab which (when clicked) will show you the details of each coupon on the ticket?
Old Apr 1, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Is it a ticket number starting with 125? If so, that's a BA ticket and that may be why the US site doesn't recognise it.

If you take the BA PNR to classic.checkmytrip.com, can you see the ticket number, and an e-ticket receipt tab which (when clicked) will show you the details of each coupon on the ticket?
Yes, sorry, they are BA TIckets that start with 125. The first reservation, when I enter that 125 number on US's site, it recognizes it. When I enter my 125 ticket number, nothing. I'm only concerned because his US PNR ties to the ticket number & credit card. Whenever I've used AA or UA miles on US, it always shows the ticket number and credit card used. This would be the first time and thus, that worries me.

Amadeus: Everything looks good for both of us using the BA PNR. They tie to our Exec Club numbers, email addresses, E-Mail, Names, Ticket numbers starting with 125. Oddly, mine shows seat 8A. His is blank. yet, I can change his seat on the US website and I cannot as I get this message:

We're sorry

Please come back to choose seats once your ticket is issued.

Last edited by airb330; Apr 1, 2014 at 1:03 pm Reason: new error showing on US site
Old Apr 1, 2014, 12:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
US EDI - PHL, Business Class = 80,000 Avios + £162.36
... it's 40,000 Avios and £93 return in Economy.
^ Assuming the same from GLA, they are both interesting options to have from here.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA Gold, US Silver, Starwood Gold, Starbucks Gold
I've used Avios to book a US Airways flight flying domestically in the United States. I have a BA PNR and a US PNR, and can use the US PNR to choose seats on US Airways' website. The PNR has my BAEC number attached, and I would like to change it to my US Airways FF#, and hopefully choose Elite/Preferred seats. I used to use Finnair (which now locks the FF# field) and RJ (which does not support US Airways at this time). Are there any other options to change the FF# on the PNR?
Old Apr 1, 2014, 12:10 pm
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
^ Assuming the same from GLA, they are both interesting options to have from here.
I wouldn't waste 80k avios on the J seat on the ageing 757s US use on these routes. Get yourself to MAN/LGW/LHR and use their A330s with the proper Cirrus flat-beds and then its worth it.

But of course for convenience, it's fantastic if you don't mind the Avios amount.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 12:19 pm

I'm not able to find any options to book DCA- SYR using Avios. Is there something I'm missing? Does US Airways have to have the lowest award available for a date/route for it to be searchable on BA?
Old Apr 1, 2014, 12:21 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by rxfleming
I wouldn't waste 80k avios on the J seat on the ageing 757s US use on these routes. Get yourself to MAN/LGW/LHR and use their A330s with the proper Cirrus flat-beds and then its worth it.

But of course for convenience, it's fantastic if you don't mind the Avios amount.
Good avis, thanks. TBH, though, my initial thought was that for 20k plus £40 one-way, on a day flight, direct from GLA - I could quite happily sit in Y! Particularly if combined with a BA CW/F redemption back from somewhere else...
Old Apr 1, 2014, 1:06 pm
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Good avis, thanks. TBH, though, my initial thought was that for 20k plus £40 one-way, on a day flight, direct from GLA - I could quite happily sit in Y! Particularly if combined with a BA CW/F redemption back from somewhere else...
Yes, well in that case it's excellent value. And I agree with you. Good to have the cheap Y option!
Old Apr 1, 2014, 4:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold member Marriott Platinum
Slightly off topic so apologies but can anyone comment what US Airways economy is like to compared to BA. I'm due to travel to LHR->SFO and I'm more inclined to book them as a cheaper Y option now I can get Avios and lounges etc

Thanks
Old Apr 1, 2014, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by danboy767
Slightly off topic so apologies but can anyone comment what US Airways economy is like to compared to BA. I'm due to travel to LHR->SFO and I'm more inclined to book them as a cheaper Y option now I can get Avios and lounges etc

Thanks
Hi,

On domestic coach ( Y) you will pay for food and alcohol;

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave...maincabin.html

Regards

TBS
Old Apr 1, 2014, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta PM, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Etihad Gold, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Rhibert
I just called US British Airways to use my Avios for a US Airways flight, and was told they aren't in the Avios system yet, just for cash bookings, and that Wednesday is the tentative date for booking with Avios. Should I try calling a different number or should I try back later/tomorrow?
Rhibert, were you able to make a booking? I'm trying to use Avios for BOS <> CLT, and you're right -- the flights aren't even available when searching BA.com.

Anyone else book US Airways metal with Avios yet?
Old Apr 1, 2014, 6:38 pm

Programs: HH-D / IHG-Sp / Marriott-P / LH-SEN / BA-S
That double promotion doesn't count the TPs right? And also for a direct flight FRA-SFO with same flight number (technical changes in CLT) will also count as a single segment I suppose?
Old Apr 1, 2014, 7:50 pm

I have no issue booking segment by segment but for a simply combined itinerary, BA is not able to pull off.

Talking about IND-CLT, CLT-MSP (success), IND-MSP (failure).

Last edited by guoguo914; Apr 1, 2014 at 7:59 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.