Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread is to help BAEC members use US Airways for travelling, earning and redeeming Avios. Your comments are welcome.

One obvious resource for more information about US Airways is their main Flyertalk presence, which is to be found here:
US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Merger)

The US Airways website:
http://www.usairways.com/default.aspx

The US Airways UK website - this allows you to pay in GBP, therefore avoiding currency conversion fees. Note that if you are a BA Amex PP cardholder you can also book via BAEC by telephone to get more Avios, however there may be a service fee.
http://www.usairways.com/en-UK/default.html
Print Wikipost

US Airways - your BA Executive Club guide

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by rxfleming
You'll have to use the 'SkyLounge' in GLA. It's cr*p compared to the BA Lounge. This is because the domestic pier and international pier are separated by a security check with the BA lounge being in the Domestic pier.
Ah yes, good point about the international pier. I am now a rare visitor to bonnie GLA but I find their BA lounges to be most agreeable (particularly for a whisky drinker!) so it is a shame.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by raph
Very nice route... with pre-clearance?
Umm, pardon my ignorance, I'm not sure what that means... I'm still sort of a novice with this stuff!
Old Mar 31, 2014, 12:33 pm

Programs: AB Platinum (AB4EVA), IHG Diamond, Dominos Gold
Originally Posted by Rhibert
Umm, pardon my ignorance, I'm not sure what that means... I'm still sort of a novice with this stuff!
Bit off-topic...

http://www.shannonairport.ie/gns/Pas...clearance.aspx

One of the reasons (besides fuel) why BA1 flies LCY-SNN-JFK, so that it'll arrive as a domestic flight.

Didn't know US flew ex-SNN, but I assume that stopping over there could be a fantastic way of going to the States while avoiding terrible immigration queues.

Granted, I haven't been to PHL in 9 years or so, so I don't know how good or bad it gets there.
As somone who hates queing, and even more so after a long flight when all you want to do is get out, I'd love that.

Shame that the only flight between SNN and Germany seems to be FR to Berlin, else I would have been very keen on that trip.

And while I just looked up flights (cash fares) from SNN to PHL, I found that they contain €10.50 "Irish Inspection/Pre-Clearance Charge (UQ)"; so that answers my question.

Last edited by raph; Mar 31, 2014 at 1:16 pm
Old Mar 31, 2014, 8:23 pm

Well that's neat, thanks for the info! Hopefully it will help make things smoother for us.

So, after being on hold this evening for an hour and 20 minutes, I finally reached a BA agent who promptly told me that there was no award availability for the flight that I want. There IS, but according to her, not on British Airways. So, I went ahead and booked the flights I had on hold thru AA- 3 of us will be flying business, and one in Economy. =/ Had to work it that way because of the way the points were split between mine and my husband's AA accounts. Sigh... I suppose I'll keep checking their website to see if anything opens up, and if it does, it'd be worth the $150 cancellation fee on AA for all four of us to be together. I'm just so irritated that I finally figured out a way to get us all home, convoluted as it may be, and it didn't end up working out the way I wanted.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 9:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
As usual, ba.com doesn't yet have a logo for US Airways ready so is again falling back on what seems to have become the default option - the RJ one. To be fair, they've only had about 12 months notice.

Last edited by Blueboys999; Mar 31, 2014 at 9:28 pm
Old Mar 31, 2014, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
For the redemption bit: you will notice that for the international examples I've put some rather odd routings, Manchester to Charlotte via Philadelphia. The reason being that there seems to be a glitch in the system that prevents me from finding an online point to point service to the UK. So if I look for Manchester to Philadelphia I don't get these services, but I can if I add on Charlotte, almost like a married segment. If the US services are combined either with BA (e.g. London to Manchester to Charlotte) or with 2 US Airways sectors then there's no shortage of availability. I assume this will be fixed in the near future, but it does suggest some cost effective means of getting from Europe to USA.
Use the ever-useful aa.com for these kinds of searches.

1) Select MAN-PHL, August 15, one-way AAdvantage award (to give you an idea)
2) AA + AAdvantage Participating Airlines for your carrier preferences
3) Click 'Continue'

On the next page:
4) Toggle the 'Number of Stops' preference to 'Non-stop Only'
5) Expand calendar view to show Full Calendar
6) Click on the MileSAAver options at the top of the calendar to see what's available by date and class of service.

Result: What you want.

Scroll the calendar ahead/behind, or select other dates as you wish.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 3:56 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
There's also a GLA-PHL service.
When does this run? I looked at the US Airways site yesterday and even though it says there is a flight between these two cities, I couldn't find a single date when it is actually operated.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 4:17 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Originally Posted by nobbyclark
When does this run? I looked at the US Airways site yesterday and even though it says there is a flight between these two cities, I couldn't find a single date when it is actually operated.
Usually end of May to mid October. You're right, I can't find a schedule either but the flights are there.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 5:46 am

Programs: BA Silver
Redemption flights starting to appear on EDI-PHL

2014/08/28 EDI (10:40) - PHL (13:25) US0785 W0, J1, F0
2014/08/29 EDI (10:40) - PHL (13:25) US0785 W0, J1, F0
2014/09/03 EDI (10:40) - PHL (13:25) US0785 W0, J2, F0
2014/09/05 EDI (10:40) - PHL (13:25) US0785 W0, J1, F0
2014/09/08 EDI (10:40) - PHL (13:25) US0785 W0, J2, F0
2014/09/11 EDI (10:40) - PHL (13:25) US0785 W0, J2, F0
2014/09/30 PHL (20:50) - EDI (08:40) US0784 W0, J1, F0

Last edited by Paralytic; Apr 1, 2014 at 5:58 am
Old Apr 1, 2014, 5:52 am

Thanks Paralytic and rxfleming. Looks like I have to go to PHL in May or June and it would be nice to fly direct for a change rather than via LHR.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 6:20 am

The GLA season is being extended to be daily and for a longer season so that may be why the schedules are not finalised/available on certain outlets
Old Apr 1, 2014, 6:25 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
My thanks too for finding this out about redemptions become available point to point, there's a lot more available in Business from GLA to PHL during this period too. So just to make this clear.

Return fares:
BA EDI - LHR - PHL, Club World = 80,000 +£559.59 (depends slightly on route).

US EDI - PHL, Business Class = 80,000 Avios + £162.36

It's even a good use of Avios in Economy, not that I see much availability, there's more in Business. But it's 40,000 Avios and £93 return in Economy.

The irony is that LHR to PHL was one of the good routes for redemptions (including in First) before US Airways arrived.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 9:07 am

I am assuming the tier point calculator is still not working as it should at the moment.

When I check for EDI-PHL on US it tells me I will earn 0TP's but flying GLA-PHL i earn 70TP's one way. I would have assumed it should be a half way house at 35.

Anyone got any ideas what it should be?
Old Apr 1, 2014, 9:16 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by samgw
I am assuming the tier point calculator is still not working as it should at the moment.

When I check for EDI-PHL on US it tells me I will earn 0TP's but flying GLA-PHL i earn 70TP's one way. I would have assumed it should be a half way house at 35.

Anyone got any ideas what it should be?
I am not sure which cabin you are interested in. As noted on the earlier post, for some reason all US Airways fare buckets are being treated as being unrestricted economy. So cheap economy tickets are showing at 70 TPs. Also business sectors are showing as 70 TPs, which is definitely wrong. 35 TPs is what I would expect for cheaper Economy tickets, but that's not how it is programmed at the moment.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 9:27 am

This is probably an old bug or feature, but I've only just noticed it: if I search for a redemption flight (say, EDI-PHL), the system tells me that there are no direct BA flights but then lists the US Airways direct flight and allows me to select it. All lovely. However, if I search for a revenue flight on the same route, it only offers BA flights with connections via LHR and there is no mention of partner carriers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.