Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Would they upgrade a 'comfort seat' passenger to CE?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2014, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)

I wasn't on the flight so don't know the exact situation only what I was told.

Friend travelling in 1A said the passenger in 1C pulled out the middle table to use for drinks. 1A was told off by 1C when he also put his drinks on that table. Although he managed to get him to accept that 1B was a shared space and was no problem by that, another comment that he needed an extension seatbelt made me think he originally was in ET and purchased a comfort seat but was op-upped to CE to free up two seats in economy. That would explain why he thought 1B was his.

I can see the problem with upgrading someone who's purchased an extra seat. Do they refund the extra seat because in CE you're effectively getting 1.5 seats due to sharing the middle seat (or less on aircraft where the B seats are squished, apparently this aircraft had non convertible seating though) whereas in ET you'd effectively own the middle seat yourself.

If any of you bought an extra seat would you be happy with an op-up to CE or would you be demanding a refund of your extra seat? Of course if you get the C seat and your extra seat gets A then that'd be great news.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 12:05 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Originally Posted by layz
whereas in ET you'd effectively own the middle seat yourself.
Maybe - but I can imagine some interesting conversations with the other person in the row of three if they tried to put their paper on the middle seat.......
Old Mar 29, 2014, 2:39 pm

Friend travelling in 1A said the passenger in 1C pulled out the middle table to use for drinks. 1A was told off by 1C when he also put his drinks on that table. Although he managed to get him to accept that 1B was a shared space and was no problem by that, another comment that he needed an extension seatbelt made me think he originally was in ET and purchased a comfort seat but was op-upped to CE to free up two seats in economy. That would explain why he thought 1B was his.

I can see the problem with upgrading someone who's purchased an extra seat. Do they refund the extra seat because in CE you're effectively getting 1.5 seats due to sharing the middle seat (or less on aircraft where the B seats are squished, apparently this aircraft had non convertible seating though) whereas in ET you'd effectively own the middle seat yourself.

If any of you bought an extra seat would you be happy with an op-up to CE or would you be demanding a refund of your extra seat? Of course if you get the C seat and your extra seat gets A then that'd be great news.
If it was a "forced" upgrade then I'd imagine they'd have to refund the extra seat as they didn't provide it. They could presumably leave it up to the passenger to decide though - a choice of either a seat and a bit in row 1 or 2 seats right at the back (unless they were really so full they needed 2 seats and only had 1 spare in CE?).
Old Mar 29, 2014, 2:41 pm

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways

No, I don't think they would ever upgrade someone for that reason.

It just sounds like he was a very strange person. Maybe because he put the table out first he decided it was his, you know in the way children say, I got it first, so it's mine!

Last edited by Littlegirl; Mar 29, 2014 at 3:05 pm
Old Mar 29, 2014, 2:57 pm
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
... another comment that he needed an extension seatbelt made me think he originally was in ET and purchased a comfort seat but was op-upped to CE to free up two seats in economy. That would explain why he thought 1B was his.
I think you are jumping to conclusions.

I have seen plenty of overweight, arrogant and selfish people travelling in CE over the years

But seriously, why are you assuming that someone has been upgraded just because they try to take 'ownership' of a space? I've seen similar behaviour when people think the space in front of the empty middle seat just belongs to them and go to extreme lengths to try to prove it.

Also, they surely would not put someone who needs two seats in the first row, since that has fixed armrests containing the tables, does it not?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.