Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Can you give up your business class seat in favour of someone else?

Old Mar 24, 14, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold

Today I'm full of question, but getting my first TP run arrange is making me full of excitement.

If I have a seat booked in CE for myself and my partner has a seat in ET, could we swap if we wanted?

I imagine the answer is yes. At the end of the day they don't even check the BP anymore, but I thought I'd ask to get a confirmation.
Old Mar 24, 14, 2:43 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; MM Freccia Alata Plus; IHG Spire Elite; Hilton Diamond; LeClub Platinum
Originally Posted by ringingup View Post
Today I'm full of question, but getting my first TP run arrange is making me full of excitement.

If I have a seat booked in CE for myself and my partner has a seat in ET, could we swap if we wanted?

I imagine the answer is yes. At the end of the day they don't even check the BP anymore, but I thought I'd ask to get a confirmation.
Of course you can

You can also try to ask if they would allow your partner to move into CE.
It happened to me easily: a friend was travelling in Y on my same flight, when I boarded I kindly asked the CSM if he could reallocate him. He said he will try his best.

After boarding completed I saw him going towards the Y cabin and one minute later my friend was sitting close to me. He said the CSD asked for his boarding pass and then he said "Oh, I think they have just changed your seat...please follow me". FYI I am GOld and my friend is Silver.
Old Mar 24, 14, 2:46 pm

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
I have on some occasions swapped my CE-seat to sit with friends in Y. On a short trip a drinking buddy is more valuable than slightly better comfort
Old Mar 24, 14, 3:19 pm

Programs: Free agent
What about if it were longhaul and one of you was in F and the other in Y?
Old Mar 24, 14, 3:22 pm

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
Originally Posted by klymen View Post
Then I would have a walkabout down to the area of the unwashed, have a few drinks and then return to my sanctuary
Old Mar 24, 14, 3:26 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
I have been in an upgraded F seat on a business flight and swapped with SWMBO. On one occassion a very kind crew UG her as well as the flight was very quiet but on the agreement that she had her allocated meal.
Old Mar 24, 14, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by Lobengula View Post
Then I would have a walkabout down to the area of the unwashed, have a few drinks and then return to my sanctuary
I have already instructed my wife that this is what she should do, despite the fact that my miles will have put her into the 'sanctuary'

edit: BAGoldBoy - I'm not even going to allow myself to entertain that as a possibility. I expect to be in Y for the whole trip and I don't think I'll be disappointed!

Last edited by klymen; Mar 24, 14 at 3:31 pm Reason: added reply
Old Mar 24, 14, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Absolutely no problem swapping seat if you let the crew know. Don't expect to both sit together though, as upgrades are unlikely.
Old Mar 24, 14, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by klymen View Post
In F you can, with crew permission, invite someone into the cabin for a drink. I think it is, or at least was, an official benefit of BA first.

If it's an overnight flight, or one where a lot of people seem to want to sleep they might refuse. You should also do it outside of service times, or they'll miss their allocated meal.
Old Mar 24, 14, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Originally Posted by layz View Post
In F you can, with crew permission, invite someone into the cabin for a drink. I think it is, or at least was, an official benefit of BA first.
I'm pretty sure it was never a benefit, nor should it ever be. Cabin swapping is irritating to those in either cabin, and puts unnecessary pressure on the cc.

Last edited by LondonElite; Mar 24, 14 at 5:18 pm
Old Mar 24, 14, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
I've swapped ET/CE seats with MrsLE on a couple of occasions, though I wouldn't ask for an upgrade, on several occasions it has been offered as a way of making life easier.
Old Mar 24, 14, 5:09 pm

Obviously a lot of all this depends on crew discretion and realising that any and all requests are a polite request for an exception rather than anything once should assume.

This even goes for the simple seat-swap, which if asked for should, IMO, be done during boarding if possible, and with the understanding that it's for the whole duration of the flight (as opposed to thinking that the parties involved could move back and forth between the two seats during the flight). I would also never ask specifically for anything more than this, as it creates a rather uncomfortable scenario of asking a favour that some crew may well correctly feel compromises them no matter how they answer...

All that said, I would be very much surprised if a simple request to swap seats for the whole flight were refused.
Old Mar 24, 14, 5:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold GGL
Just curious, why didn't you book it the 'right' way round to begin with?

Edit: I just learned how to read
Old Mar 24, 14, 5:19 pm

Just to be clear, I wouldn't ask for an upgrade nor would I expect one. Nor would I try to achieve some kind of seat-share. There's also a very big difference between CE-ET and WT-F (or pretty much any other longhaul combination) in terms of the product.

In any case, in this instance a small but very important impediment to anything of the sort will be in the Britax seat just in front of my WT seat
Old Mar 24, 14, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
I'm pretty sure it was never a benefit, nor should it ever be. Cabin swapping is irritating to those in either cabin, and puts unnecessary pressure in the cc.
Several threads here, including one that quoted service manuals, suggest it is/was. Specifically because there is a (rather uncomfortable) guest seat that can be used without infringing on anyone's space, and specifically because it's left to the discretion of crew whether the elected time may be irritating/disruptive or not. That's why normal meal service windows seemed to be a "no" as well as any time that the cabin might be blacked out for passengers to sleep, etc.

Search this Thread