Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Executive Club: How far we've come...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2014, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
The Executive Club: How far we've come...

I was just reading the posts about concorde and reflecting on how far the Exec Club has actually come from years past. I remember when I first enrolled - any award tickets issued were severely restricted, and honestly much harder to get than they are today. Also once issued, there were no changes allowed on any mileage tickets - it was a case of use it or loose it.
MFU did not exist if I recall correctly. There were no GFU2s, and GGL was nowhere on the horizon.
You couldn't call any desk other than in your home country, and they were impossible to get a hold of. You'd have to visit a ticket office to pay for your redemption ticket etc etc... Redemption and earning rules were vastly different for different regions.
On many fronts, the BA exec club has made some serious strides from being one of the poorer FFP's out there to one of the best in class and a big driver as to why people actually fly BA.
I just thought I'd start this thread to have some of us walk back into the not so long ago past and reflect on how much this wonderful program has changed and adapted to become what it is today
Old Mar 23, 2014, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
I remember when you needed to have booked either a ticket in the premium classes or a full fare Y just to join BAEC. It really put me off the scheme in the early years of my flying. Now it's one of the few airlines that give 100% miles on discounted tickets.

As I fly a lot of short haul I appreciate the benefits and so to maintain these benefits I'll choose BA (and oneworld) for my long haul trips in CW/F. If I didn't get these benefits I'd definitely be flying a variety of airlines for my longhaul travel.

I think BAEC has came a long way since those days.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 12:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
There are those out there who prefer the restrictions of yesteryear. Remember why itīs called the EXECUTIVE Club!
Old Mar 23, 2014, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
bmi had diamond club, it didn't mean you needed to have any diamonds to join!

Even though more people can join there's more things that have improved for truly frequent flyers than have deteriorated. Removal of open doors for gold is probably the most notable enhancement, followed by the slower priority boarding since bronze was added. Dehancements include GGL tier, more benefits for higher tier balances, CCR card and reasonable redemption options on short haul.

These days it can't be assumed an executive will always be travelling business class and the programme has adapted to that reality. The scheme is still more rewarding to those travelling in premium cabins, which I agree with. You have to do a significant amount of flying to get status unless you go for TP runs and that's surely a small portion of the members.

Last edited by layz; Mar 23, 2014 at 12:28 pm
Old Mar 23, 2014, 1:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yes it's come on leaps and bounds in recent years since they allowed non frequent fliers in on the action.

We have them to thank for that success.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 2:14 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Having been a member of the BAEC for well over a decade I really like the new '21st Century' set up compared to what it was like years ago.

As an example and from what I read here the benefits of GGL's are far better now than not that so long ago.

BAEC is for everyone, frequent flyer or not in my view and in BA's too.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb.../blue-benefits

In general terms some folks on the BA Board seem to have a little difficulty accepting that.

Pete

Last edited by PETER01; Mar 23, 2014 at 2:19 pm Reason: link added
Old Mar 23, 2014, 2:18 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Exactly. When I first joined there were 125 miles per domestic sector and 0TPs. Made long-haul rewards impossible and Euro rewards were pretty useless due to the taxes. Now with a combination of 100% miles and RFS BAEC is an excellent programme for the semi-frequent short haul flyer like me.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 2:23 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by sigma421
Exactly. When I first joined there were 125 miles per domestic sector and 0TPs. Made long-haul rewards impossible and Euro rewards were pretty useless due to the taxes. Now with a combination of 100% miles and RFS BAEC is an excellent programme for the semi-frequent short haul flyer like me.
Good point and there are many benefits for all classes of BAEC members like RFS amongst many other examples.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 2:32 pm

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Yes it's come on leaps and bounds in recent years since they allowed non frequent fliers in on the action.

We have them to thank for that success.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by layz
Removal of open doors for gold is probably the most notable enhancement
Personally I think the removal of open doors was a great decision.

The lounges were way too full with all those extra pax in waiting to board EZY services etc.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by ShuttleService
The lounges were way too full with all those extra pax in waiting to board EZY services etc.
...who just happened to fly BA from time-to-time to maintain their top tier status...

Palmer
Old Mar 23, 2014, 4:22 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Is that you SRG?
Old Mar 23, 2014, 7:20 pm

Programs: ABBA

Sadly Ba or one world isn't always an option. Either realistic (say man-bhd) or in many cases not possible (kef, kbl, isb, bgw)

Open doors should come back for ggls on a flight that has no one world service.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LondonElite
There are those out there who prefer the restrictions of yesteryear. Remember why itīs called the EXECUTIVE Club!
Silly old farts probably.

The BAEC is really two reward programmes in one. There is the status side of the club and the Avios collecting side of it. The latter being more of an attraction to the majority of BA customers than the former.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 2:00 pm

In the early/mid 1980's you paid to join the BAEC. I think it was around 50-60 pounds per year, for that you got lounge access plus travel insurance. No tier points, no reward flights, just free drinks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.