Transferring in Dubai from BA to QR

Old Mar 21, 14, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA,EK,SPG
Question Transferring in Dubai from BA to QR

Hello eveyone, hope someone can shed some light on a query I have.

I have a flight coming up soon from LHR to DXB via British Airways in J. My connecting flight from DXB to DOH is with Qatar Airways, flying F, around 4 hours after landing.

Will I have to clear Dubai Immigration, collect my bags, then go and check in with Qatar in departures, collect boarding passes, then come back through immigration or is there another way.

I hope the 4 hours will be enough time to do this.

Thanks in advance,
Old Mar 21, 14, 9:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, EK Gold, GF Silver, IC Royal Ambass, Marriott Gold, TK Elite
If you check in online with QR and print your boarding pass (or even if you do not for that matter) you can just follow the signs for flight connections on arrival at DXB. BA and QR both depart from the same terminal at DXB. If you need a boarding pass there are flight connection desks for various airlines in the connections area. On a good day you should be off the plane and back in the departure area in 15 mins or so.
Old Mar 21, 14, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Thanks, but what about my hold luggage, surely BA will not tag that through to DOH at Heathrow.
Old Mar 21, 14, 9:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, EK Gold, GF Silver, IC Royal Ambass, Marriott Gold, TK Elite
I'm not sure about that but now QR is oneworld it may be possible....but I can't answer that one.
Old Mar 21, 14, 9:49 am

You should be able to check your bags through. Are both flights on the same PNR?

Even if not, being Oneworld airlines it should still be routine.
Old Mar 21, 14, 10:15 am

BA can tag bags across separate tickets as long as the connection is on a oneworld carrier. You will then simply have to go to the transfers desk at DXB and show them the bag tag stub you received from BA while checking in for QR, to make sure your luggage is loaded.
Old Mar 21, 14, 11:06 am
Original Poster

I have two seperate bookings, one for BA the other for QR. I also have an onward flight from DOH, again with QR on the same day, on the same QR booking.

As there is no stopover, I assume by bags can get tagged to the final destination by BA at LHR.
Old Apr 24, 14, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Still none the wiser with this one... Fingers crossed by bags will be checked through from LHR to my final destination, even though I will fly BA and QR on two different PNR's
Old Apr 24, 14, 6:38 pm

Programs: BAEC
If your bags are tagged through, then just go to the QR transit desk as you walk towards "Arrivals/Connections". They'll give you a bp, and you can head through security and down to the lounge. The F lounge is small and dingy, but has an amazing array of food and drink. I could have stayed for hours gorging.

If your bags aren't tagged through, go thru immigration, pick them up, then check in again landside for QR.
Old Apr 24, 14, 6:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ekflyer1 View Post
Still none the wiser with this one... Fingers crossed by bags will be checked through from LHR to my final destination, even though I will fly BA and QR on two different PNR's
BA policy is that if the onward travel is on a OW carrier, then BA will check the luggage through even on separately ticketed itineraries, so you should be fine

( PNRs are irrelevent to this; there can be as many PNRs in an iinerary as there are airlines )

If you were changing to a non-OW airline, then BA would not check the luggage through to a separately ticketed itinerary
Old Apr 24, 14, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IC RA, Kimpton Inner Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post

If you were changing to a non-OW airline, then BA would not check the luggage through to a separately ticketed itinerary
Not true, BA will do this at least for GGLs at the F check in if approached nicely.
Old Apr 25, 14, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles View Post
Not true, BA will do this at least for GGLs at the F check in if approached nicely.
It's not as though you can plan around BA making an exception to its published rule, though, is it?
Old Apr 25, 14, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Thats comforting to know. I have a 4 hr connection in DXB and I'd rather spend that in the F lounge rather than rush to clear immigration, collect my bags and then check in again.

Thanks for your help guys.
Old Apr 30, 14, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
BA policy is that if the onward travel is on a OW carrier, then BA will check the luggage through even on separately ticketed itineraries, so you should be fine

( PNRs are irrelevent to this; there can be as many PNRs in an iinerary as there are airlines )

I called BA Exec today just to make sure, the agent on the phone told me that they would not check by bags to the final destination as my QR flight was on a separate booking. I told him that I was flying CW from LHR to DXB and then F from DXB to DOH, and the J from DOH to DAC, all three sectors within 24 hours. He was adamant that I would have to check in again when I got to DXB.

Not the answer I was hoping for.
Old Apr 30, 14, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP (1 MM) | BA Silver | SPG Plat | Former EK Gold, CO Plat and AF Gold | Global Entry
The agent is likely not informed correctly. I have had BA through-check my luggage on other OW carriers with separate tickets (granted, not QR, but I have done it with AA and CX with no problems).

Search this Thread