LGW-LAS Upgrade

Old Mar 20, 14, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

LGW-LAS Upgrade

I apologize if I am posting this to the wrong forum. After researching, I am a little unclear about the upgrade process. I am booked to fly LGW-LAS at the end of May via BA. I booked the entire ticket through AA so I know this is codeshare and that miles to upgrade would have to be full fare (which my ticket isnt). From what I can see, I am booked on 777 which is the 3 tier class and not the 4 tier.

Question is if I would still be eligible to upgrade at the 24 hour mark if the option existed (through MMB as I received the record locator from AA) or if I truly could only upgrade at the gate (minus calling AA and attempting to grab either a T ticket or an upgradable Y and using miles).

Also, I guess this is an easy answer but figured I would ask anyway, has anyone just upgraded at the gate at time of check in and are these flights usually full to capacity. I would fly WT if I absolutely had to but figured would be nice to upgrade without having to pay full.)

Forgot to add, I have no status with either AA or BA so I know I would have to either pay full fare or hope at check in I can upgrade)

Im sorry for another upgrade thread! I really researched and couldnt really find the answer I was looking for. Thank you in advance!
Old Mar 20, 14, 5:08 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Warm welcome to FT. Thanks for joining us and I'm sure one of our ambassadors will be along in a moment to give you a full welcome

From what you've said above, assuming I've understood correctly:

* You won't be able to upgrade with miles.

* At check in, you can ask if there are any promotional upgrades (with money) available to World Traveller Plus.

* BA doesn't do gate upgrades, for miles or for money.
Old Mar 20, 14, 5:12 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Greetings Gizm01

Greetings Gizm01, welcome to Flyertalk, and may this be the start of a long association with the BA board. Thank you for the question and please continue to post. Welcome on board.

Given your ticket is with AA, you won't get a Pro Active upgrade. You almost certainly won't get a free upgrade either, given the popularity of that route with BAEC status members. You already know the UuA issue, and if you had booked with BA it would also be unlikely that you could upgrade from WT to WTP, due to the fare buckets that are usually involved.

So your two options are to get AA to upgrade you at their normal prices, or to ask at LGW for an airport upgrade promotion - for cash - on the day of travel, at check-in. I don't think you're in with a good chance, but you can only try.
Old Mar 20, 14, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andset1191 View Post
Warm welcome to FT. Thanks for joining us and I'm sure one of our ambassadors will be along in a moment to give you a full welcome

From what you've said above, assuming I've understood correctly:

* You won't be able to upgrade with miles.

* At check in, you can ask if there are any promotional upgrades (with money) available to World Traveller Plus.

* BA doesn't do gate upgrades, for miles or for money.
I didnt catch the gate part! What I meant was at time of check-in. I dont mind paying for the upgrade so long as I am not losing my pants in the process

Thank you for the welcome. It's my first time traveling international (coming from the states) so this is all new to me.
Old Mar 20, 14, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Greetings Gizm01, welcome to Flyertalk, and may this be the start of a long association with the BA board. Thank you for the question and please continue to post. Welcome on board.

Given your ticket is with AA, you won't get a Pro Active upgrade. You almost certainly won't get a free upgrade either, given the popularity of that route with BAEC status members. You already know the UuA issue, and if you had booked with BA it would also be unlikely that you could upgrade from WT to WTP, due to the fare buckets that are usually involved.

So your two options are to get AA to upgrade you at their normal prices, or to ask at LGW for an airport upgrade promotion - for cash - on the day of travel, at check-in. I don't think you're in with a good chance, but you can only try.
I will definitely try (otherwise I know I would have to pay for the ticket outright with AA).

After reading my post, I realize I left out that I am coming from Dublin via Aer Lingus - where would I go to see if I could upgrade at LGW? Do I have to go back to the front or is there a terminal I could go to?

Sorry for the newbie questions, first time traveling international and just want to make sure it goes as smoothly as possible.
Old Mar 20, 14, 5:45 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Gizm01 View Post
After reading my post, I realize I left out that I am coming from Dublin via Aer Lingus - where would I go to see if I could upgrade at LGW? Do I have to go back to the front or is there a terminal I could go to?
Aer Lingus arrives into South Terminal, and I think you are going landside to North Terminal anyway, so you may as well check at the North Terminal ticket desk as you pass through. As you enter North Terminal departure you will see large yellow signs on each column, you need column A to get to the right desk. Your bags should be through checked.

I'm trying to work a diplomatic way of phrasing this, but let's say for future flights, keep a close eye on this forum when booking from Dublin. There are some real Club World bargains to be had from Ireland.
Old Mar 20, 14, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Aer Lingus arrives into South Terminal, and I think you are going landside to North Terminal anyway, so you may as well check at the North Terminal ticket desk as you pass through. As you enter North Terminal departure you will see large yellow signs on each column, you need column A to get to the right desk. Your bags should be through checked.

I'm trying to work a diplomatic way of phrasing this, but let's say for future flights, keep a close eye on this forum when booking from Dublin. There are some real Club World bargains to be had from Ireland.
I will definitely keep on the lookout for those deals as I plan to fly more to there. Thank you for the help! I greatly appreciate it!

Search this Thread